Author Topic: Sources: NBA talks fewer games, in-season event  (Read 3741 times)

Re: Sources: NBA talks fewer games, in-season event
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 06:19:52 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27059802/sources-nba-talks-fewer-games-season-event

Supporters of a new mid-season cup-style tournament acknowledge the difficulty of its implementation without a corresponding reduction in the number of regular-season games. For instance, trimming games off the current 82-game schedule would have vast revenue implications for teams which have commitments to local broadcast partners and rely on revenue from attendance at live games.

So how could this exactly look like/work?

What would be the significance of winning a mid season cup?

You could have $$ bonuses to the players on the team that wins.  Or there could be lottery implications.

Maybe you order the picks in the second round based on the results of the mid-season tourney.

I'm sure there are a bunch of things they could do to give teams and players incentive.

Would love to see a pre-season or mid-season tournament cup within the league. But winning the cup has to mean something, it has to have an incentive so the teams will take it seriously.

Maybe a $10 million purse, split between players and team? Maybe and extra draft pick next season before Round 2 starts? Something, it just has to be meaningful so it can be taken seriously.

The issue with the extra 2nd round pick or having the rights to pick higher would interest the team but not necessarily the players. Especially the players that are bound to be FAs the season after

$$$ incentive is likely the main reason why both teams/players would care/play hard to win

What if you offer both? And what if instead of a pick in between rounds, it's a pick in between pick #20 and #21, and is FULLY TRADEABLE? Cash prize for the players to split, and an asset for the team to use to help them build a winning team in the long run. There are a ton of possibilities.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 07:06:53 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Would love to see a pre-season or mid-season tournament cup within the league. But winning the cup has to mean something, it has to have an incentive so the teams will take it seriously.

Maybe a $10 million purse, split between players and team? Maybe and extra draft pick next season before Round 2 starts? Something, it just has to be meaningful so it can be taken seriously.
Fine. So what do fans get out of this?  How does such a tournament relate to winning a championship?  I see it as a distraction for both players and fans.  Terrible idea.

You wouldn't be happy if the Celtics win the cup and get an extra draft pick? You wouldn't be rooting for the team to win to get that? That's essentially an extra asset to have, and helps you move forward. You get basketball games in between the season that matter because there's something valuable to win. I think that's fun for the fans.
No, I would not be particularly happy.  It's a distraction with, as always, injury risk.  Extra pick sounds nice but what do the players get in that case?

I just think this is not a well-thought-out idea and smacks of doing something just for the sake of doing it for the 75th anniversary.

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 07:27:32 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I do not want a mid season cup where players can either get paid more then already make or get injured. Under almost no circumstances do I want that. The better the reward for that event, the more the players try and can get injured. 

Shorten the season so playoffs can be that much better and stop trying to create an event to make more money for owners and players. That type of event would be the beginning of the end for me with interest.

If proceeds went to charity would be only way to get me on board but it would need to be end of season...maybe for losing teams that did not make playoffs perhaps. Call it the Crapola tourney with winner getting first pick in draft 😁😷All proceeds to charity.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 07:38:24 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Fine. So what do fans get out of this?  How does such a tournament relate to winning a championship?  I see it as a distraction for both players and fans.  Terrible idea.

You wouldn't be happy if the Celtics win the cup and get an extra draft pick? You wouldn't be rooting for the team to win to get that? That's essentially an extra asset to have, and helps you move forward. You get basketball games in between the season that matter because there's something valuable to win. I think that's fun for the fans.
No, I would not be particularly happy.  It's a distraction with, as always, injury risk.  Extra pick sounds nice but what do the players get in that case?

I just think this is not a well-thought-out idea and smacks of doing something just for the sake of doing it for the 75th anniversary.

The players can have incentives too. Easiest way to do it is cash prize. Have a big money, split between the players. Sponsors could pay for it.

I get the injury risk, but playing the remaining games of the season would be an injury risk for players as well, there's really no difference in playing a longer season and a shorter league season with a mid-season tourney as far as injury risks, players will still play regardless.

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 07:48:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don’t care for this idea at all.

Change for the sake of change is stupid
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 08:20:13 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

This mid-season tournament would be so much fun! It could be like the NCAA tournament but with superior basketball. Two 15 teams tournaments each alternating days. Best team from each conference gets a bye.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 08:25:56 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
It could have playoff implications. Like affecting the seeding of the playoffs or guaranteeing a playoff spot for say the top 8 teams.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 08:27:41 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
I don't like the idea of an in-season event.  The all-star game is a distraction enough for all the players and fans.  Something more than that is just problematic as far as I am concerned. 

I wouldn't be against the fewer regular season games, because that makes sense with the playoffs so long, and pre-season even long now.
Moving down to 76, 74, 72 games would seem to make sense to me.

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 08:37:01 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

This mid-season tournament would be so much fun! It could be like the NCAA tournament but with superior basketball. Two 15 teams tournaments each alternating days. Best team from each conference gets a bye.

And you dictate matchups via draws, like how they do it in European Football, so in the first round, there could be a potential matchup between two powerhouse teams right away.

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 09:24:30 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
If this is done right it could be rather interesting.

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 09:32:10 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
How will the record books work if they dont play 82?

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2019, 09:34:57 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I don’t care for this idea at all.

Change for the sake of change is stupid

The change of format in All-Star games is already stupid. Bring back the East vs West format.

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2019, 09:45:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27059802/sources-nba-talks-fewer-games-season-event

Supporters of a new mid-season cup-style tournament acknowledge the difficulty of its implementation without a corresponding reduction in the number of regular-season games. For instance, trimming games off the current 82-game schedule would have vast revenue implications for teams which have commitments to local broadcast partners and rely on revenue from attendance at live games.

So how could this exactly look like/work?

What would be the significance of winning a mid season cup?

You could have $$ bonuses to the players on the team that wins.  Or there could be lottery implications.

Maybe you order the picks in the second round based on the results of the mid-season tourney.

I'm sure there are a bunch of things they could do to give teams and players incentive.

The issue with the extra 2nd round pick or having the rights to pick higher would interest the team but not necessarily the players. Especially the players that are bound to be FAs the season after

$$$ incentive is likely the main reason why both teams/players would care/play hard to win

What if you offer both? And what if instead of a pick in between rounds, it's a pick in between pick #20 and #21, and is FULLY TRADEABLE? Cash prize for the players to split, and an asset for the team to use to help them build a winning team in the long run. There are a ton of possibilities.

So the team that wins this tourney gets an extra 1st round pick?   how would such massive tourney involving all the teams work?? 

I think it would be too long

Similar to college ball, they could just stick to a within division type round robin tourney

Whoever wins the tourney gets bragging rights of midseason divison champs,  prize money,  small trophies, playoff tiebreaker if required

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2019, 09:47:28 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I'm only interested in fewer games if they eliminate "load management" games.  Didn't they formerly have a disabled list of sorts that kept players out for 5 games minimum?  Would like to see them go back to something like that.

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2019, 09:53:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Leave the season as is.

Silver ideas obscure the major issue which is the best players want to go to the Lakers when they become free agents and the media is in on it.

Totally screw the small market teams. Everyone else for that matter.