Author Topic: Sources: NBA talks fewer games, in-season event  (Read 3745 times)

Sources: NBA talks fewer games, in-season event
« on: June 26, 2019, 03:54:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27059802/sources-nba-talks-fewer-games-season-event

Supporters of a new mid-season cup-style tournament acknowledge the difficulty of its implementation without a corresponding reduction in the number of regular-season games. For instance, trimming games off the current 82-game schedule would have vast revenue implications for teams which have commitments to local broadcast partners and rely on revenue from attendance at live games.

So how could this exactly look like/work?

What would be the significance of winning a mid season cup?

Re: Sources: NBA talks fewer games, in-season event
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 03:59:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27059802/sources-nba-talks-fewer-games-season-event

Supporters of a new mid-season cup-style tournament acknowledge the difficulty of its implementation without a corresponding reduction in the number of regular-season games. For instance, trimming games off the current 82-game schedule would have vast revenue implications for teams which have commitments to local broadcast partners and rely on revenue from attendance at live games.

You could have $$ bonuses to the players on the team that wins.  Or there could be lottery implications.

Maybe you order the picks in the second round based on the results of the mid-season tourney.

I'm sure there are a bunch of things they could do to give teams and players incentive.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 03:59:50 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Trim down the games played to 66 per season (like the latest lockout season, except stretched across a full season). 82 games is way too much to actually care about each individual game. It won't happen because of $$$ tho.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 04:11:33 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Surely you win it just for the glory?

Hard to see it ever being significant though when the playoff season is so long

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 04:23:10 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
OMG just play the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing games! :o Seems like the NBA does a good job of putting together road trips for teams if they want less wear and tear have the divisional teams be closer together and play more games. They could play back to backs at visitor arenas and an extra day off before going to the next city:

@NY
@NY
2 days off
@TOR
@TOR

Do whatever I don't care, but it's been 82 forever just shut up and play!!

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 04:36:36 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I知 not a fan of limiting games just for historical things such as records.

I致e long thought an easy way to cut down on some of the travel which may be more of an issue is have mini series like baseball does at least with teams within your own conference.

For example if you play the Bucks 4 times a year you would play the Bucks at home say on Sunday then home again against the Bucks on Tuesday, then you might travel to Detroit to play the Pistons on a Thursday, and again in Detroit on Saturday.  You really couldn稚 do this with teams in the other conference as you only play them twice a year. 

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 05:19:59 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
reduce the number of games by 10.  Scrap the silly mid year tournament idea...

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Awful, and serves no purpose other than to make a splash on the league's 75th anniversary.  Sometimes the NBA just tries to be too cute.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 05:54:59 PM by Surferdad »

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 05:41:36 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Would love to see a pre-season or mid-season tournament cup within the league. But winning the cup has to mean something, it has to have an incentive so the teams will take it seriously.

Maybe a $10 million purse, split between players and team? Maybe and extra draft pick next season before Round 2 starts? Something, it just has to be meaningful so it can be taken seriously.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 05:54:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

You could have $$ bonuses to the players on the team that wins.  Or there could be lottery implications.

Maybe you order the picks in the second round based on the results of the mid-season tourney.

I'm sure there are a bunch of things they could do to give teams and players incentive.

Would love to see a pre-season or mid-season tournament cup within the league. But winning the cup has to mean something, it has to have an incentive so the teams will take it seriously.

Maybe a $10 million purse, split between players and team? Maybe and extra draft pick next season before Round 2 starts? Something, it just has to be meaningful so it can be taken seriously.

The issue with the extra 2nd round pick or having the rights to pick higher would interest the team but not necessarily the players. Especially the players that are bound to be FAs the season after

$$$ incentive is likely the main reason why both teams/players would care/play hard to win

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 05:57:51 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

Fine. So what do fans get out of this?  How does such a tournament relate to winning a championship?  I see it as a distraction for both players and fans.  Terrible idea.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 05:58:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I would also like to see an Olympic style - all star extended weekend format

Team world 1
Team world 2
Team USA 1
Team USA 2
Team Canada
Team Rookies/Sophomore

I feel like there would be less horsing around and more serious basketball

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 06:03:58 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

What do the fans get out of this?

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 06:09:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

What do the fans get out of this?

More interesting games to watch in the middle of the season, presumably.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 06:15:40 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Fine. So what do fans get out of this?  How does such a tournament relate to winning a championship?  I see it as a distraction for both players and fans.  Terrible idea.

You wouldn't be happy if the Celtics win the cup and get an extra draft pick? You wouldn't be rooting for the team to win to get that? That's essentially an extra asset to have, and helps you move forward. You get basketball games in between the season that matter because there's something valuable to win. I think that's fun for the fans.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace