Author Topic: Evan Turner traded for Kent Bazemore  (Read 3187 times)

Evan Turner traded for Kent Bazemore
« on: June 24, 2019, 04:12:32 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Quote from: Woj
Portland is trading Evan Turner to Atlanta for Kent Bazemore, league source tells ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1143244996046282752?s=21

More on the Bazemore-Turner deal: The Hawks wanted to clear space on the wing to get Hunter/Reddish/Huerter more minutes. They see Turner in the backup PG role. The move also allows Bazemore to play on a contender.

https://twitter.com/chriskirschner/status/1143254814010368009?s=21
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 05:04:15 PM by rondofan1255 »

Re: Evan Turner traded for Kent Bazemore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 04:15:37 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
Please, please, please let him get bought out. I need ET back on the C's just for the interviews.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 04:28:16 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Is Bazemore an upgrade over Turner? Because their contract situations are basically the same (1 year left at ~$20 million)

I guess Portland likes the fit more?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 04:29:20 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
Is Bazemore an upgrade over Turner? Because their contract situations are basically the same (1 year left at ~$20 million)

Apparently it's insurance in case Hood leaves. I don't get it for ATL.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 04:29:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Bazemore can shoot.

By the end of their playoff run the Blazers essentially benched Turner.

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 04:31:59 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If Atlanta buys out Turner I would welcome him back in Boston.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 04:35:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
No thanks for me. I'd rather give bench wing minutes to our younger players.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 04:35:42 PM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum

Bazemore can shoot.

Well that's just not true. He averaged 21.5 minutes in the Blazers/Warriors series. He even played 31 minutes in game 4.

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 04:38:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
We have a potential Evan turner in Langford

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 04:38:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Only possibilities I can think of:

1) Atlanta is getting some small draft considerations (future protected 2nds) back. (Have not seen this reported).

2) Bazemore’s role was going to be reduced with the drafting of DeAndre Hunter, and Atlanta knew he wasn’t going to be happy.  Meanwhile, Turner might be more willing to mentor younger players while coming off the bench.  With a young team, it would better for their development if that’s the case.

3) Turner is willing to take a buyout and give up more money to hit free agency than Bazemore would have been, so the Hawks would save money/gain flexibility.

Don’t know if any of the above are true, but I feel any could be.

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 04:41:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

In general I agree with this.  He played well here and clearly earned Brad’s trust.  If Rozier stays, I don’t think there’s room, but if not, I think Turner would be an excellent backup PG on this team.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 04:48:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

1) Atlanta is getting some small draft considerations (future protected 2nds) back. (Have not seen this reported).

2) Bazemore’s role was going to be reduced with the drafting of DeAndre Hunter, and Atlanta knew he wasn’t going to be happy.  Meanwhile, Turner might be more willing to mentor younger players while coming off the bench.  With a young team, it would better for their development if that’s the case.

3) Turner is willing to take a buyout and give up more money to hit free agency than Bazemore would have been, so the Hawks would save money/gain flexibility.

Agree that for Atlanta this is, much like the Conley trade for Memphis, a move to open up a role to move their high draft pick into. Hunter will just move right into Bazemore's role and minutes and be allowed to develop under the fire of the starter/6th man minutes he will receive.

Turner turns into trade fodder, a veteran in the locker room/mentor role or becomes a buyout that might save the team a couple million if Turner is willing. Turner could be a decent, expiring salary trade asset for Atlanta where they take on a bad contract with years on the books and grab a future 1st rounder or two to use in their youth movement rebuild.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 04:50:50 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

One thing I saw from Hawks fans on Reddit is that they need more playmaking behind/beside Trae Young, so Turner definitely fits that better than Bazemore

I could still see a 2nd or some cash going to the Hawks, though, since a straight up one-for-one deal is really tough/rare
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 05:15:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Bazemore can shoot.

Well that's just not true. He averaged 21.5 minutes in the Blazers/Warriors series. He even played 31 minutes in game 4.
Hmm, didn't realize he played so many in game 4. I remember them going small in desperation mode just didn't remember him doing much.

Must of got that impression from the OKC series where it looks like he did get essentially benched for a few games.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 05:18:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
No thanks for me. I'd rather give bench wing minutes to our younger players.
agreed. plus, to be honest, romeo langford's style reminds me a little of turner.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva