Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 958342 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #3285 on: January 23, 2022, 07:51:53 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Not a movie;

... but if you liked Spider-verse, I do recommend watching Arcane on Netlfix.

It's absolutely gorgeous, insane soundtrack, wild characters, etc.

Really loved it.

I describe it as watching an animated painting. I have no background knowledge of the source material, but I thought the overall product was nothing short of a masterpiece.

Same. Hardly knew a thing about League - but absolutely loved this.

I'm on my third re-watch.
Does it hold up on rewatch? I haven't gone again yet, but I was worried I was almost in a positive shell shock situation. Like I was so taken aback how good it was, I couldn't see the flaws.

Either way, I have to watch it again. I'm currently running through the second season of demon slayer (the movie deserves all of the credit it gets.) Most beautiful animation in a true anime I've ever seen.

The fight with Ekko in Arcane was art. Flexing different animation styles to tell a self contained story with music within a few minutes. Unbelievable.
#JKJB

« Reply #3286 on: January 23, 2022, 08:20:39 PM »

Kiorrik

Not a movie;

... but if you liked Spider-verse, I do recommend watching Arcane on Netlfix.

It's absolutely gorgeous, insane soundtrack, wild characters, etc.

Really loved it.

I describe it as watching an animated painting. I have no background knowledge of the source material, but I thought the overall product was nothing short of a masterpiece.

Same. Hardly knew a thing about League - but absolutely loved this.

I'm on my third re-watch.
Does it hold up on rewatch? I haven't gone again yet, but I was worried I was almost in a positive shell shock situation. Like I was so taken aback how good it was, I couldn't see the flaws.

Either way, I have to watch it again. I'm currently running through the second season of demon slayer (the movie deserves all of the credit it gets.) Most beautiful animation in a true anime I've ever seen.

The fight with Ekko in Arcane was art. Flexing different animation styles to tell a self contained story with music within a few minutes. Unbelievable.

It's a little slow but the good moments are so good that it still hits just as hard. And yeah, the Ekko fight is probs my favourite moment, along with Jinx lighting the flare, and the whole final sequence. And Vi finding out who the pirate is too.

Man. Lotta solid moments :)

« Reply #3287 on: January 28, 2022, 10:06:36 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Again, not a movie, but errr ... Book of Boba Fett is surprisingly terrible.

Don't like the actor, don't like the script, don't like the visual effects (those ninjas were bleak man holy hells) and the story is lame as all heck so far.

How'd a quiet merciless bounty hunter turn into a "nah don't hurt them we are going to rule with respect" talkative wuss?

What a snooze.

.edit: actually, reading that back ... I think the problem might be they already did Boba Fett, but with Mando.

I was pretty mixed after the first episode.  The effects / creature construction were definitely sub-par, as was the fighting.

I enjoyed the second episode, though.  It definitely went back to the “Western in space” feel of the Mandalorian.

Credit where due; I quite halfway through ep 2. Having finished the episode ... okay, lil better.

Still. That's not Boba Fett. But fair enough. He's more than he was in Ep1.

They should have gone with Vader-era Boba Fett.  Show us some bounty hunter adventures, and show us some Prime Darth.

Feige involved tho.

I'm sure the goal of Mando/Boba/Obi is to merge them all together.

I am a big star wars fan, but I admit that I haven't been able to get as interested in the Boba Fett series as much as I did for the Mandalorian.  I think the Mandalorian was a more of a heroic character, and so you could get behind him more.  Boba is still just a somewhat under developed neutral guy from the Original trilogy.  The 2nd episode was decent...I guess I will keep watching.  Maybe it gets better as it goes along.

I think Kenobi is the series I am waiting for.  I hope the writing for that one is first rate, otherwise I could see it being a disappointment as well.

Episode 5 seems to prove that the worst thing about the Book Of Boba Fett is...  Boba Fett.

The Mando-focused episode was excellent.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3288 on: January 28, 2022, 12:57:17 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Anyone seen The House on Netfix?

Very odd and a little creepy - at least the first two parts.  Kind of got steadily worse part by part, but it was definitely very different visually from anything I've seen before (especially the first part).

I believe it was a mix of traditional aniumation and stoo motion.
Yup

« Reply #3289 on: January 28, 2022, 10:32:34 PM »

Kiorrik

Again, not a movie, but errr ... Book of Boba Fett is surprisingly terrible.

Don't like the actor, don't like the script, don't like the visual effects (those ninjas were bleak man holy hells) and the story is lame as all heck so far.

How'd a quiet merciless bounty hunter turn into a "nah don't hurt them we are going to rule with respect" talkative wuss?

What a snooze.

.edit: actually, reading that back ... I think the problem might be they already did Boba Fett, but with Mando.

I was pretty mixed after the first episode.  The effects / creature construction were definitely sub-par, as was the fighting.

I enjoyed the second episode, though.  It definitely went back to the “Western in space” feel of the Mandalorian.

Credit where due; I quite halfway through ep 2. Having finished the episode ... okay, lil better.

Still. That's not Boba Fett. But fair enough. He's more than he was in Ep1.

They should have gone with Vader-era Boba Fett.  Show us some bounty hunter adventures, and show us some Prime Darth.

Feige involved tho.

I'm sure the goal of Mando/Boba/Obi is to merge them all together.

I am a big star wars fan, but I admit that I haven't been able to get as interested in the Boba Fett series as much as I did for the Mandalorian.  I think the Mandalorian was a more of a heroic character, and so you could get behind him more.  Boba is still just a somewhat under developed neutral guy from the Original trilogy.  The 2nd episode was decent...I guess I will keep watching.  Maybe it gets better as it goes along.

I think Kenobi is the series I am waiting for.  I hope the writing for that one is first rate, otherwise I could see it being a disappointment as well.

Episode 5 seems to prove that the worst thing about the Book Of Boba Fett is...  Boba Fett.

The Mando-focused episode was excellent.

Right?

It was SO much more fun. Not even close.

Every single other Boba Fett episode has been downright bad. It's such a boring, goody-two-shoes character. I don't find myself rooting for him because he just simply doesn't do anything cool, or funny, or whatever. He's just an old, not even grumpy, dude. What a snoozefest.

Made me think for a second that the Mando episode was only cool because it stopped me from watching Boring Fett.

But upon rewatch; it's actually just a cool episode that has a bunch of stuff happen that's interesting.

« Reply #3290 on: January 28, 2022, 11:33:31 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
The Last Duel. I was looking forward to seeing this movie, too. Directed by Ridley Scott, staring Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Adam Driver... It was pretty terrible. Adam Driver is just not a good actor...The acting was pretty bad overall. Very disappointing.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3291 on: January 29, 2022, 05:08:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Last Duel. I was looking forward to seeing this movie, too. Directed by Ridley Scott, staring Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Adam Driver... It was pretty terrible. Adam Driver is just not a good actor...The acting was pretty bad overall. Very disappointing.
False! He is excellent in Silence, Paterson, Marriage Story and BlacKkKlansman, to name a few.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3292 on: January 29, 2022, 05:19:17 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
False! He is excellent in Silence, Paterson, Marriage Story and BlacKkKlansman, to name a few.

Excellent? Idk, Man. Thought he was really lame playing Kylo Ren in the Star Wars films and was equally lame in The Last Duel.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3293 on: January 29, 2022, 05:34:15 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Excellent? Idk, Man. Thought he was really lame playing Kylo Ren in the Star Wars films and was equally lame in The Last Duel.
I haven't seen The Last Duel (I feel that I will always unfairly compare it to Kingdom of Heaven), but I feel as if the new Star Wars films made it hard for most actors involved. I didn't even really like Oscar Isaac's character, despite his acting ability.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3294 on: January 29, 2022, 10:28:18 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I haven't seen The Last Duel (I feel that I will always unfairly compare it to Kingdom of Heaven), but I feel as if the new Star Wars films made it hard for most actors involved. I didn't even really like Oscar Isaac's character, despite his acting ability.

Last Duel is on HBO. Also, Kingdom of Heaven blows it out of the water.

« Reply #3295 on: February 13, 2022, 07:16:01 AM »

Kiorrik

Watched Don't Look Up on Netflix last night.  A black comedy, Doctor Strangelove wannabe for a new generation, has some big name players inlcuding Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, Jonah Hill, Cate Blanchett, and Rob Morgan.  Interesting how the director handles the response to the news that a comet the size of Mount Everest is on course to hit earth.  Some funny and thought-provoking scenes made it worth while for me to watch.

I started watching last night, then figured I should save it to watch with my wife!  Very promising.  Leonardo played his part well.

This movie was amazing.

Really enjoyed it.

I'd describe it as 2021's Idiocracy.

It's somewhat hard to watch. Mostly because it's too real. Which, for a satire, is exactly how it should be.

Man. Might have to rewatch it with others. What a punch to the face.

« Reply #3296 on: February 15, 2022, 03:13:45 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

Really enjoyed this Movie

This actor was so believable.

« Reply #3297 on: February 15, 2022, 03:34:10 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The Star Wars movies just aren't good movies for actors.  I mean look films like the Twilight movies.  Terrible acting, yet you have some incredible actors in those movies.  Stewart was incredible as Diana in Spencer (as an example).  A lot of the big budget popcorn type movies are just hard for actors to look good in, because the material just isn't there.  Adam Driver was very good on Girls and has had some incredible acting performances in movies.  I haven't seen the Last Duel, but I suspect his performance was more about crappy material then him being crappy. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3298 on: February 15, 2022, 03:37:05 PM »

Offline wikkid1

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Hadn’t ever seen a Bond film with Connery so I watched Goldfinger the other night.  Pretty [dang] good for being so old.  Dr. No is up next.

« Reply #3299 on: February 15, 2022, 03:51:19 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
The Star Wars movies just aren't good movies for actors.  I mean look films like the Twilight movies.  Terrible acting, yet you have some incredible actors in those movies.  Stewart was incredible as Diana in Spencer (as an example).  A lot of the big budget popcorn type movies are just hard for actors to look good in, because the material just isn't there.  Adam Driver was very good on Girls and has had some incredible acting performances in movies.  I haven't seen the Last Duel, but I suspect his performance was more about crappy material then him being crappy.

Love this One

Didnt like him in the  Star War movies

In this he really surprised me

Matt did really well in this role

Really good Flix