Author Topic: Hot Take Celtics are much deeper at Wing  (Read 6681 times)

Re: Hot Take Celtics are much deeper at Wing
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2023, 08:00:26 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
It's odd how, other than Javonte Green they went through years without really having viable backups at the position. They seemed to draft so many undersized guards and muscular and mobile PFs (Yabusele, Ojeleye, Grant), but rarely took wings. I understand that we had Tatum and Brown, but for a few years it almost seemed like they were worried Brown would feel threatened if there was any potential replacement for his position on the roster. Then two years ago they finally drafted a wing shooter in Hauser and started stocking the back end of the roster with random, oddball wings. That was followed by this year when they finally drafted another wing with potential in Jordan Walsh and spent a lot of money on wing or wing-types in free agency.

I don't know if it was intentional or it just happened that way, but every position needs capable backups and it's nice to see the Celtics focused on the position again.

Hate to nit pick but Sam Hauser was not drafted. He was undrafted but signed a 2-way. Other recently drafted wings that come to mind are Langford and Nesmith. 

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2023, 08:16:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
More wings doesn't mean they are any good

They don't have to be good to be better than last year.

Brissett looks like a solid defender with physicality. Svi looks like he can shoot, and move his feet a little on defense too.

Even if these guys are 1-tool players they're an improvement over Champagnie and Jackson. They look like guys we can put out there with the starters and they won't completely embarrass themselves if they stick to their roles.

I won't be shocked if somebody steps up and surpasses Hauser in the depth chart.
Brissett isn't a wing. He is basically a worse Grant Williams.  So if we are counting him, then you have to count Grant from last year.  Brown also played a lot at wing last year because we had Brogdon, White, and Smart (not to mention PP) which we've trimmed to Jrue and White.

Hauser, Walsh, Svi vs. Hauser, Jackson, Champagnie. Yeah it is better this year, but it still blows.

Not gonna let you cut six bodies down to three Moranis.  Brissett is much more capable of guarding two's,  and threes than Grant. He counts as a wing that can guard fours as well.

You left off Lamar Stevens who is like a power Guard type. Jordan Walsh with Great feet and a 7'3" wingspan that will see the court, and has great defensive tools.

Svi who looks beget than Justin Jackson and Champaine already, and one of Brad's first grabs this off-season six foot eight inch Blanton,  who can play anywhere,  and guard anyone.

It's not Even close honestly.  This team has way better options than last year.
if you count Brissett, you have to count Grant. If you count Stevens you have to count Muscala. Balnton is a PG. The team doesn't have 6 backup wings. That is ridiculous.

Grant was too slow to guard 3’s. Muscala too. Brissett and Stevens are much better athletes. It’s not even close. Grant was never a wing, neither was Muscala.
Brissett played 92% of his minutes at PF and 3% at C last year with 5% at SF.  Every year in the league he has played less and less time at SF and more and more time at PF, because he is a big. GW also played 5% of his tine at SF last year.  Exact same as Brissett and Grant is a much better shooter.  Stevens has played around half his time at SF the last 2 years, but I've watched a lot of Cavs games and he plays much more like a big than a wing. Solid rebounder, poor shooter, strong.  He isn't a traditional wing, plays much more like a big guy even though he is on the short side at 6'6"

Boston doesn't have 6 wing players on its bench.  That is just crazy especially since the 2 best players on the team are both wings.  Brown played 58% of his minutes at SF last year. Tatum was at 53%. White played 8% at SF.  Heck even Brogdon logged 1% of his time at SF.  Even Blake had 2% in a mega big lineup.

Okay so you just admitted Grant isn't a wing either then.  Fine take Brissett out, even though he's still a better wing defender than Grant.

That means we have five guys who can play backup wing.
Banton isn't a wing.  He is a PG that has also played SG.  Almost no time at SF.  He is basically a taller much worse version of White and I'm guessing you didn't consider White a wing. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2023, 08:32:07 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It's odd how, other than Javonte Green they went through years without really having viable backups at the position. They seemed to draft so many undersized guards and muscular and mobile PFs (Yabusele, Ojeleye, Grant), but rarely took wings. I understand that we had Tatum and Brown, but for a few years it almost seemed like they were worried Brown would feel threatened if there was any potential replacement for his position on the roster. Then two years ago they finally drafted a wing shooter in Hauser and started stocking the back end of the roster with random, oddball wings. That was followed by this year when they finally drafted another wing with potential in Jordan Walsh and spent a lot of money on wing or wing-types in free agency.

I don't know if it was intentional or it just happened that way, but every position needs capable backups and it's nice to see the Celtics focused on the position again.

Hate to nit pick but Sam Hauser was not drafted. He was undrafted but signed a 2-way. Other recently drafted wings that come to mind are Langford and Nesmith.

Oh yeah, I forgot Hauser was undrafted. Langford always seemed like a combo guard to me. Nesmith I guess does technically qualify as a wing, it's just that I always thought wings should have the size to capably play SF full-time if needs be. Maybe that's not the right definition of "wing," though.

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2023, 08:33:24 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I am surprised there is so much debate on this:

Hauser - prototypical wing
Brissett - wing / swing, can play PF, but a natural wing
Mykhailiuk - can play wing but more of a guard
Stevens - wing with some versatility to play guard
Banton - guard, not a wing
Walsh - I think similar to Brissett but need to see more
Grant - Undersized PF, not a wing
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 08:43:16 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2023, 09:27:00 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Brissett looks like a solid defender with physicality. Svi looks like he can shoot, and move his feet a little on defense too.

Even if these guys are 1-tool players they're an improvement over Champagnie and Jackson. They look like guys we can put out there with the starters and they won't completely embarrass themselves if they stick to their roles.

I won't be shocked if somebody steps up and surpasses Hauser in the depth chart.
Brissett isn't a wing. He is basically a worse Grant Williams.  So if we are counting him, then you have to count Grant from last year.  Brown also played a lot at wing last year because we had Brogdon, White, and Smart (not to mention PP) which we've trimmed to Jrue and White.

Hauser, Walsh, Svi vs. Hauser, Jackson, Champagnie. Yeah it is better this year, but it still blows.

Not gonna let you cut six bodies down to three Moranis.  Brissett is much more capable of guarding two's,  and threes than Grant. He counts as a wing that can guard fours as well.

You left off Lamar Stevens who is like a power Guard type. Jordan Walsh with Great feet and a 7'3" wingspan that will see the court, and has great defensive tools.

Svi who looks beget than Justin Jackson and Champaine already, and one of Brad's first grabs this off-season six foot eight inch Blanton,  who can play anywhere,  and guard anyone.

if you count Brissett, you have to count Grant. If you count Stevens you have to count Muscala. Balnton is a PG. The team doesn't have 6 backup wings. That is ridiculous.

Grant was too slow to guard 3’s. Muscala too. Brissett and Stevens are much better athletes. It’s not even close. Grant was never a wing, neither was Muscala.
Brissett played 92% of his minutes at PF and 3% at C last year with 5% at SF.  Every year in the league he has played less and less time at SF and more and more time at PF, because he is a big. GW also played 5% of his tine at SF last year.  Exact same as Brissett and Grant is a much better shooter.  Stevens has played around half his time at SF the last 2 years, but I've watched a lot of Cavs games and he plays much more like a big than a wing. Solid rebounder, poor shooter, strong.  He isn't a traditional wing, plays much more like a big guy even though he is on the short side at 6'6"

Boston doesn't have 6 wing players on its bench.  That is just crazy especially since the 2 best players on the team are both wings.  Brown played 58% of his minutes at SF last year. Tatum was at 53%. White played 8% at SF.  Heck even Brogdon logged 1% of his time at SF.  Even Blake had 2% in a mega big lineup.

Okay so you just admitted Grant isn't a wing either then.  Fine take Brissett out, even though he's still a better wing defender than Grant.

Banton isn't a wing.  He is a PG that has also played SG.  Almost no time at SF.  He is basically a taller much worse version of White and I'm guessing you didn't consider White a wing.

Wrong again Banton is a basketball player who will play anywhere and anytime Joe calls his number. Hes also the tallest and quickest out of all the players listed.

Hes got serious potential to guard four positions.

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2023, 09:38:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Wrong again Banton is a basketball player who will play anywhere and anytime Joe calls his number. Hes also the tallest and quickest out of all the players listed.

And yet he never has.  He has played PG and SG in his NBA career.  His 1 year at Nebraska. Also a guard, not a wing.  Height has very little bearing on what position a guy plays.  It is about skill set.  Banton is guard and always has been.

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2023, 09:57:47 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

"You can put a cat in an oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!"

Sorry, I had to quote Sidney Deane from White Men Can't Jump (the original, not the horrible remake).

I think positional designations are based around defense, not offense. So, if you can guard centers capably, that makes you a center. Joe might have Banton in there at the wing spot because he has height and they're trying to see if he can pull it off, but that doesn't mean it's an ideal spot for him. I'm not confident that when they actually play non-preseason games that Banton can defend 3s and 4s well. He just seems way too thin to guard anyone with bulk.

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2023, 01:27:28 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

"You can put a cat in an oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!"

Sorry, I had to quote Sidney Deane from White Men Can't Jump (the original, not the horrible remake).

I think positional designations are based around defense, not offense. So, if you can guard centers capably, that makes you a center. Joe might have Banton in there at the wing spot because he has height and they're trying to see if he can pull it off, but that doesn't mean it's an ideal spot for him. I'm not confident that when they actually play non-preseason games that Banton can defend 3s and 4s well. He just seems way too thin to guard anyone with bulk.

Exactly.  As it stands now Banton is the 4th string point guard respectfully,  behind Holiday,  White, Preseason PP, and then Banton.

However the wing spot is wide open and open for competition.  If Banton is the best defender off the bench, guess what he's the first or second wing off the bench. 

The fact hes 6'8" just gives him more opportunities than the next man.

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2023, 02:11:08 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I’m not surprised that Brad has loaded up on wings.

1) wings are more important in a switching defense.
2) wings make position-less basketball possible.
3) wings are more versatile in transition.
4) wings can protect a dropping center.
5) wings with length can disrupt passing lanes.
6) wings with length can help centers that don’t rebound well.
7) 2-way wings like Brown and Tatum expend a lot of energy and need backups that can reduce their load.

Once Brad got Zinger (who will need wing support) he was all in on getting wings.

That's a TP McHale.  When in doubt just grab some Wings. They are just so [dang] versatile.

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2023, 08:03:49 AM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Part of the issue is we are talking positions that the modern NBA coaches just don't use.  PG, SG, SF, PF, C...thats not how coaches see it.  Ballhandlers, Wings, bigs.  Thats it.  We see 1PG, 1SG, 1 SF, 1 PF, 1C.  Everyone has to fit in one of the 5 spots.  I was watching the simulcast of the lakers last night, and they had 2 pg, 1 sg, 1 sf, and 1 pf on the court for large stretches.  Whats wrong is how the players were listed.  If they were listed as 2 ball handlers, 2 wings, and 1 big we would not bat an eye.  Oh they were just playing small.  Not OMG they had 2 PG and no C.  The 80's had much more defined positions.  Almost always you had one of each.  Gone is the prototypical PF.  Maybe we tag them with the "swing" moniker, but that position is weak in the modern NBA.  There are maybe a dozen in the NBA, and most of them will play a fair amount of C in small lineups, or even SF in big ones.  Giannis, Lebron, etc. Tatum is a great example of a tough to quantify player.  Shoots from outside and drives like a guard.  Rebounds like a PF, strength of a SF.  When he plays as the second biggest player he is a very tough guy to defend on offense, but struggles with the stronger players when he has to play D.  Its a trade off.  The one big offense of the C's is very tough to defend.  All can shoot from outside, all are willing to crash the boards, all can drive and dish, and there is enough inside play to keep them honest.  Their 2 big Defense can handle just about any team, and still do most of what I listed above.  If the C's had another player 80% of AL or KP(RW3 was not) , this would be the prefered lineup and probably a top 5 team of all time(Bill walton type).  Who knows, the C's might get a couple of roll players to step up and either become that player, or be good enough for the C's to trade for that player yet this year.  Time will tell.

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2023, 01:02:12 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
You can call a player a wing or a small forward or a shooting guard, whatever you want, but players have a natural position (nearly always) and players can also generally play more than one position, usually something "adjacent" to their natural position.  For example, PF is adjacent to C and also to SF.  A player can be a natural PF but also be fine at C but not so much at SF.  A different PF may be OK at SF but not so much at C.

If a player doesn't have a natural position, sometimes that is good, it just means they are more versatile, other times it is not good as it indicates that the player is a "tweener", meaning not quite a SF and not quite a PF (for example).  The term "combo guard" has come to mean a player who is not quite a PG and not quite a SG, but there is no negative connotation.  There isn't necessarily a right answer for any given player.  I generally just watch the players on the court and label them based on what I see.

I like to narrow it down to ball handlers (or guards), wings, bigs.  That is fine, but really, a wing can be more of a guard wing or a forward wing.  They really aren't the same things.  Bigs can lean more PF or more C, again, really not the same thing.  Then there is the idea of the traditional PG vs the Combo Guard playing as a PG.  The Celtics have not had a traditional PG in some time.  I don't think even Pritchard a traditional PG.  Smart, Brogdon, White, Holiday, all combo guards who can play PG, in my view.  I probably need to see more of Banton but he looks like a combo guard to me so far.

Then we have a bunch of wings, Tatum, Brown, Brissett, Hauser, Stevens, Walsh (probably), and Mykhailiuk.  I am fine calling all of these wings but some are more guard wings and some are more forward wings.  Mykhailiuk for example may be able to play as the PG/Combo Guard/Ball Handler in a pinch but he is never going to be played as a big.  Brissett on the other hand may be asked to play some PF in smaller line ups (not likely to be asked to play guard), but I still see him as a wing.

So I think this debate is about what is each players natural position or best position, but of course, nearly every player can play and will likely be asked to play, more than one role through the course of a game or season.  Especially bench players, versatility is a great thing in a bench player.  The more players that you have on the court that are at their best or natural position, the better the team is gong to be.

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2023, 12:08:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Hauser wad the only guy mentioned in this thread to play the 1st game.  That seems right because the main wing back-ups are starting i.e. Brown and Tatum and Hauser is a good shooter and decent enough defender (he also knows the system).  On days when Al or KP are out, I'd expect Brissett to get solid minutes as the backup PF (and I think he will get minutes in most games, last night notwithstanding).  I don't really expect anyone else to get regular quality minutes barring absences from the top 6.

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2023, 12:54:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Hauser wad the only guy mentioned in this thread to play the 1st game.  That seems right because the main wing back-ups are starting i.e. Brown and Tatum and Hauser is a good shooter and decent enough defender (he also knows the system).  On days when Al or KP are out, I'd expect Brissett to get solid minutes as the backup PF (and I think he will get minutes in most games, last night notwithstanding).  I don't really expect anyone else to get regular quality minutes barring absences from the top 6.

I think what game 1 tells us is that Hauser has won the "first wing of the bench" role over the likes of Stevens (I didn't see it reported but he must have been given a contract), Mykhailiuk, and Walsh.  Pritchard is the first combo guard off the bench (over Banton) and for now, Kornet appears to be the first real bench big (Horford is the first of course but he is really more of a 6th starter).   Kornet appears to have beaten out Brissett and the 2-ways (Queta, Knight).

I still believe that Brissett will be used as a swing/PF and is in competition more with Kornet than with Hauser, but maybe some of both.  It could have been a match up thing or maybe they just view Kornet as a better option over Brissett, hard to say after 1 game.  Kornet was his normal self meaning he didn't do much.  I hope to see more of Brissett over Kornet.  I don't expect to see much of Queta or Knight.

As to the wings, Hauser is the incumbent so it isn't so surprising he is getting minutes initially.  None of Stevens, Mykhailiuk, or Walsh are expected to be much good although Hauser didn't do much in this game.  Hauser is probably safer in the role than Kornet but I don't think he is all that much ahead of the other options.  And Pritchard is both the incumbent and is much better than Banton so I expect he will continue to get minutes.

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2023, 03:01:20 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
My biggest concern in the off-season was without Grant we now have less defenders to throw at Giannis. But after seeing Jrue shut down Randle am I a fool to think we could throw Jrue at him in spots?

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2023, 09:39:35 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Banton scored 11.  Which feels pretty impressive for a backup.

Then again we scored 155 points against the Pacers so it's hard to take the numbers we piled up too seriously.

We blew them out of the water! 

As for our wing depth obviously JT and JB are our #1 starting options.  But behind them we have Hauser, Brisett, Banton, and Svi.  So if at least 2 of those guys can show they merit minutes, I feel like we are pretty solid in that position.