Author Topic: NBA Off-Season News  (Read 79747 times)

Re: NBA Off-Season News
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2023, 11:00:29 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Hopefully he’s able to play in a few more summer league games…

No. 1 draft pick Victor Wembanyama has decided not to play for France in this summer's FIBA World Cup and instead will focus on preparing for his rookie season with the San Antonio Spurs and next year's Paris Olympics.

“It would not be realistic in terms of development and not prudent in terms of health," Wembanyama said in announcing his decision to French newspaper L'Equipe. "I hope people will understand. It's frustrating for me, too. The France team is still central for me. I want to win as many titles as possible with the team. But I think it's a necessary sacrifice."

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2023, 11:06:40 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
Good on Wembanyama to skip the international games. Might've seen what happened to Gallinari last season...played for his international club, torn ACL and didn't even get to play with the Celtics. One of the reasons why the C's had to play harder than they needed to in the playoffs last season.

Building your resume is great, but there are things to prioritize like helping your own team in the NBA win a championship which counts most.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2023, 01:56:35 PM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1253

« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2023, 02:56:37 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
They must have missed the draft where the Blazers took a 6’2” point guard 3rd overall.  :laugh:

Damian Lillard, agent meeting with team to discuss franchise's direction

Chris Haynes: Portland Trail Blazers star Damian Lillard and his agent Aaron Goodwin are meeting with the team today to discuss the franchise’s direction, league sources tell @NBAonTNT, @BleacherReport. – via Twitter ChrisBHaynes
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 10:51:11 AM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2023, 10:37:32 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2426
Dillon Brooks is looking to command a deal more than the $12.4 million non-taxpayers' midlevel exception in free agency, according to Marc Stein of Substack.

Jeez, D Brooks is hopeful. I see him as closer to the minimum.

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2023, 10:49:50 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
Dillon Brooks is looking to command a deal more than the $12.4 million non-taxpayers' midlevel exception in free agency, according to Marc Stein of Substack.

Jeez, D Brooks is hopeful. I see him as closer to the minimum.

I think he is going to have a Lance Stephenson career arc. Lance got his contract, but by the end of it, the league was tired of him. He had a few quick stints here or there, but nobody kept him long.

Anyone who is interested in him may get the idea he is delusional at that pricepoint, and that idea may spread fast around the league.

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2023, 10:53:37 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1016
They must have missed the draft where the Blazers took a 6’2” point guard 3rd overall.  :laugh:

Damian Lillard, agent meeting with team to discuss franchise's direction

Chris Haynes: Portland Trail Blazers star Damian Lillard and his agent Aaron Goodwin are meeting with the team today to discuss the franchise’s direction, league sources tell @NBAonTNT, @BleacherReport. – via Twitter ChrisBHaynes

Dame should just give it up, they don't want him now that they have Scoot. Dame should consider teaming up with Tatum and Porzingis.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2023, 11:14:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I really don't want him here after he claimed he did not  want come to Boston. 

« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2023, 11:41:26 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1673707814655610883?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

If they can’t trade him, reports are that Miami is considering stretching and waiving Lowry.

Doubt they would actually do that unless it facilitates them getting an actual upgrade; however, if waived there’s your vet, playmaking point guard with championship experience to bolster the guard rotation. Wouldn’t even have to play very much, but would bring some stability to our rotation. (Runs and hides from the inevitable “hell no” posts.)

« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2023, 11:42:34 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
KG didn't want to come to Boston either.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2023, 11:46:17 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993
https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1673707814655610883?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

If they can’t trade him, reports are that Miami is considering stretching and waiving Lowry.

Doubt they would actually do that unless it facilitates them getting an actual upgrade; however, if waived there’s your vet, playmaking point guard with championship experience to bolster the guard rotation. Wouldn’t even have to play very much, but would bring some stability to our rotation. (Runs and hides from the inevitable “hell no” posts.)

Maybe he’d consider it to get some revenge on Miami, but otherwise I think he’d either go to Philly or return to Toronto.

« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2023, 12:01:08 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

In fairness, so did KG.

But I don't really want Dame anyway.

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2023, 12:05:26 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
KG didn't want to come to Boston either.

True, but it sounds like all the other options fell through for KG. I don’t think that will be the case with Lillard.

Garnett has said for years that he does not want to leave his beloved "Sota," as he calls it, consistently refusing to push for a trade even with the Wolves missing the playoffs each of the past three seasons. But Boston's cause might have been helped by the increasing possibility that Garnett's only options are becoming a Celtic or returning to Minnesota after being shopped so vigorously.

ESPN.com reported in June that Garnett would be hoping for a trade to the Phoenix Suns if he did have to leave the only team for which he has played. His reasons, according to sources: Garnett would prefer to play in a warm-weather city on a team with championship potential if he's forced to relocate. Another big factor: Garnett and Steve Nash have become good friends over the past few years, starting in 2005 when Garnett was one of the first players in the league to call Nash and congratulate him on his first MVP trophy.

Phoenix, the Golden State Warriors and the Los Angeles Lakers all joined Boston in making hard pushes for Garnett before the June 28 draft. Dallas also expressed serious interest despite its inability to realistically join the chase until after July 1, when the Mavericks again could manufacture at least one cap-friendly contract to offer the Wolves.

The Suns, though, apparently have dropped out of the bidding, unable to make a deal work financially and unwilling to part with Amare Stoudemire. Golden State's chances, meanwhile, took a hit when a potential three-team Garnett trade involving the Charlotte Bobcats collapsed on draft night, with the Warriors deciding they couldn't wait on a maybe and proceeding instead with the trade of Jason Richardson to the Bobcats.

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2023, 12:29:02 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
Yeah, you might be right. I think there's a strong likelihood he stays in Portland, to be honest, but I also think the comparison between Lillard and Wolves-era KG is very apt.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2023, 01:04:09 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Maybe he’d consider it to get some revenge on Miami, but otherwise I think he’d either go to Philly or return to Toronto.

Or maybe he'd see a championship contender with a Marcus Smart size hole in the rotation. I am all for Lowry, I think he would be a great fit for this stage in his career. I also always respected how Lowry is usually in in good position when he takes charges. Doesn't feel as much like a flop like it sometimes did with Smart. Might rankle Pritchard to bring in more competition though.