Author Topic: Jakob Poeltl?  (Read 1411 times)

Jakob Poeltl?
« on: July 02, 2022, 08:23:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Now that the Spurs are in full on tank mode, I wonder if they would be interested in trading Jakob Poeltl. He'd be a very decent back up for Al and Rob at the 5.  He defends well, blocks and rebounds.  He doesn't shoot 3s, and his foul shooting is poor. But his contract is decent ($9.4 mm), and we would control his Bird rights when it expires next season.  He showed marked improvement last season, averaging 13.5 points, 9.3 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in 29 minutes per game. 

He'd fit into the Fournier TPE.  We could offer a couple of 2nd round picks. I would not offer a first.  Or we could offer Pritchard, who in all likelihood is going to be relegated to deep bench given latest roster moves.

Stole this idea from Jay King who brought this up in his latest Anything is Poddable podcast.

What say you?

Re: Jakob Poeltl?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 08:26:21 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I would do that.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 08:26:48 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He will require more than second rounders, I think.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 08:27:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Rock solid ball player. I'd love to have him here if ownership was willing to spend the dollars but I don't think they are using that TPE. The luxury tax hit is too large to justify for a role player.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 08:31:36 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I think his price range, in terms of salary, exceeds what the Celtics are comfortable paying at this point for an overqualified #3 big. 

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 08:36:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I think his price range, in terms of salary, exceeds what the Celtics are comfortable paying at this point for an overqualified #3 big.

That's short-sighted, though. Horford will be 37 next season, and Poeltl would be a decent future replacement for him, and back up for  Rob, who is injury prone. Hoping management thinks longer term here.  Otherwise we will be left digging the taxpayer MLE trash heap every  off season.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 08:38:01 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I brought his name up in a separate thread but think he’d be a solid fit here and some pretty good insurance for the bigs. Smart player and can defend and rebound.

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 08:44:29 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

That's short-sighted, though. Horford will be 37 next season, and Poeltl would be a decent future replacement for him, and back up for  Rob, who is injury prone. Hoping management thinks longer term here.  Otherwise we will be left digging the taxpayer MLE trash heap every  off season.

Shortsighted or otherwise, the team would pay about $40 million additional in luxury tax to bring him on, and that’s a lot of money for a center on a team with two centers ahead of him.

I’m a Poeltl fan, but we’ve head the Celtics aren’t going to use the TPE, and this shouldn’t be surprising given the salary level they’ve already taken themselves to with the Brogdon trade.  If they were concerned about needing a good #3 center who’s under contract next year, they wouldn’t have traded away Theis to begin with.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 08:47:12 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I would love Poeltl, but we all know the Spurs GM drives quite the hard bargain. Look what we had to give up for Derrick freaking White for gods sake. No way we could get Poeltl with only second rounders.

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 08:48:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Shortsighted or otherwise, the team would pay about $40 million additional in luxury tax to bring him on, and that’s a lot of money for a center on a team with two centers ahead of him.

I’m a Poeltl fan, but we’ve head the Celtics aren’t going to use the TPE, and this shouldn’t be surprising given the salary level they’ve already taken themselves to with the Brogdon trade.  If they were concerned about needing a good #3 center who’s under contract next year, they wouldn’t have traded away Theis to begin with.

I didn't realize the tax hit was that high. so $9.3 mm extra salary results in 4 X additional tax?  Yeah, we are not the Warriors.

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 09:09:37 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I didn't realize the tax hit was that high. so $9.3 mm extra salary results in 4 X additional tax?  Yeah, we are not the Warriors.

Yeah, we’re roughly $20 million over once the minimum salaries to fill out the roster come in, maybe even a bit more, and at that level the marginal tax is $4 per extra dollar over from $20 million to $30 million.

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 09:10:35 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

This might be a question for the capologists in here but can’t they just use the TPE to acquire someone and then just make a trade prior to the season ending to reduce salary/luxury tax hit? Could potentially open up door to maybe create another TPE or at least buy some time to see how things shake out.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 09:17:16 PM by PAOBoston »

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 10:01:49 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
He would require a 1st round pick to pry him from the Spurs.

Also, he's probably overqualified to be a backup.

I've toyed with the idea, but I just don't think he makes much sense.

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 10:38:10 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

This might be a question for the capologists in here but can’t they just use the TPE to acquire someone and then just make a trade prior to the season ending to reduce salary/luxury tax hit? Could potentially open up door to maybe create another TPE or at least buy some time to see how things shake out.

No, your tax bill is frozen at the end of the year.  The latest to trade away burden is at the February deadline.