Author Topic: C’s trade for Malcolm Brogdon  (Read 18039 times)

Re: C’s to trade for Malcolm Brogdon?
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2022, 02:14:35 PM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I hate to be that guy but I loved the trade until I saw Brogdon is making 22.5 mil for the next three years. Thats a TON of cash for a guy who is always hurt.

So as of now we have Smart at 19 mil, White at 17.5 mil and Brogdon at 22.5 Mil.. thats a lot of money tied into one position. Pritchard is a small 2.5 mil so he is irrelevant to the equation - but a viable 3rd option at that position.

There has to be another move coming. I feel like we'll be hearing about a Smart trade shortly.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 02:19:39 PM by jbpats »

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2022, 02:16:27 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
So happy

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2022, 02:16:30 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I hate to be that guy but I loved the trade until I saw Brogdon is making 22.5 mil for the next three years. Thats a TON of cash for a guy who is always hurt.

So as of now we have Smart at 19 mil, White at 17.5 mil and Brogdon at 22.5 Mil.. thats a lot of money tied into one position. Pritchard is a small 2.5 mil so he is irrelevant to the equation.

There has to be another move coming. I feel like we'll be hearing about a Smart trade shortly.

Don't you do that. Don't you give me hope.

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2022, 02:18:37 PM »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
This is wild, I’ve always wished we could grab Brogdon.  Obvious injury concerns but [dang] this is awesome, we’re goin for it, there’s no denying that.  More moves incoming

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2022, 02:18:59 PM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Hahaha love it. Brad and Ime definitely have a type. If he can stay healthy, Brogdon is an excellent addition and fits in well here, and it didn’t really cost a single rotation player either.

I will say I’m a bit concerned about big depth now, but man look at this rotation:

PG: Smart, White, PP
SG: Brown, Brogdon
SF: Tatum, GWill, Hauser
PF: Horford, Gallo
C: Timelord, ?

Just need to solidify the backup big spot. I wonder what we’ll do there.

I have a feeling Bryant is the next shoe to drop. His choice was rumoured to be down to lakers or celtics, you wanna compete for the play-in or for a ring?

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2022, 02:19:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

So as of now we have Smart at 19 mil, White at 17.5 mil and Brogdon at 22.5 Mil.. thats a lot of money tied into one position. Pritchard is a small 2.5 mil so he is irrelevant to the equation.

Except all three are playable at 1-2 in the right lineups and even a small-ball three at times.

It wouldn’t surprise me if one of the guards is traded now, but I think there’s plenty of room for all three given how versatile they are.

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2022, 02:19:18 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

There doesn’t have to be.  Long-term, the cap /tax is likely to rise another 10% summer, and with Horford coming off the books, the C’s will likely be much closer to the tax line.  If ownership is willing to go high for a year, long-term payroll needn’t be an issue.

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2022, 02:20:04 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Is Stevens determined never to have to make a first round pick?

Not that I mind any of the trades (Horford, White, Brogdon), but I've wanted to see what Stevens could do in the draft since he took over.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2022, 02:20:30 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956

I've always been high on Brogdon.  His injury history is concerning, but it's hard to pass up that deal.  We gave up pretty much nothing.

« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2022, 02:21:19 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Holy sh1t!!! I go away for an early 4th of July holiday weekend not expecting anything and whammy! PBS crushing off-season!!!

« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2022, 02:21:50 PM »

Offline C3LTSF4N

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41

Not that I mind any of the trades (Horford, White, Brogdon), but I've wanted to see what Stevens could do in the draft since he took over.

It’s go time, not draft time.  Brad got the nod to go all in so here we are

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2022, 02:22:09 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I look at the roster this way:

Combo PG:    Smart, Brogdon, White, Pritchard
Wings:          Tatum, Brown, Hauser
Bigs:             RWill, Horford, Gallinari, GWill

This is 10 deep with players that can play regular minutes but most of the time, we are probably going to play with 1 combo, 2 wings, 2 bigs.  To balance the roster, we need to swap a Combo for a wing (or just add a wing, that is OK too).  We of course can play with 2 from the combo group and only one of Tatum or Brown (not sure if Hauser will be in the core rotation) but with this group, we end up a little light on shooting if we have 2 of the combos on the court together.  But this would allow the minutes to be spread some.

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2022, 02:23:14 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I don't mind it all. For too long we've overvalued mid-late 1st round picks. All of the picks he traded 1.) aren't going to be as good as the guys he acquired. 2.) are going to take too long to develop to make an impact on a team that's trying to contend.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2022, 02:29:37 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

So as of now we have Smart at 19 mil, White at 17.5 mil and Brogdon at 22.5 Mil.. thats a lot of money tied into one position. Pritchard is a small 2.5 mil so he is irrelevant to the equation - but a viable 3rd option at that position.

Not to nit pick but for the 2022-23 season, per Spotrac:

Smart     $17.2M
White      $16.9M
Brogdon  $22.5M

Still too much to be tied up in combo guards for which there will not be enough minutes so I agree, there could very well be another move where White or Smart are traded for a wing.  Or we can still bring in a wing via a TPE and just be thankful for the depth.  The salary for the tax calculation is not set until the end of the season.  So for example, we could trade White at the deadline to reduce salary.

I guess the more I think about this, why not just sign a wing with the TPE and start the season, let things play out.  If we do end up trading Smart or White, there is likely more value at the trade deadline anyway.  At a minimum, we should not feel pressure to make a trade just to make a trade.

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2022, 02:32:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Brogdon shot 31% from 3 last year...