Author Topic: C’s trade for Malcolm Brogdon  (Read 18318 times)

Re: C’s to trade for Malcolm Brogdon?
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2022, 02:00:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like the trade a lot.  Barring other moves, I think we might let the TPE expire, because we just added $10 million in salary with the Brogdon trade.  We're about $16 million over the tax line with 10 players under contract, so heading into the $20-25 million threshold.  I don't know that we're going to use the TPE to add another $10-15 million in payroll and wind up in the $35-$40 million range.

It would be nice if we did, though!

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2022, 02:01:21 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Brogdon has been a binky of mine for awhile.  He was the guy I wanted to replace Smart.  If the C's had Brogdon against GSW game over.  Man I'm shocked. 

It's tough losing guys you have an attachment to.  I still think Nesmith will be a good rotation player but I do not think he will ever be as good as Brogdon.  I will say eventually this lack of draft picks will come back to bite the C's but hopefully that's not for another 7 years while we have JB and JT.

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2022, 02:02:50 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Spotrac says Brogdon is under contract for 3 years at about $22.5M per.  Seems like a lot for a back up PG.  Smart or White may well be heading out for a wing.  Can't imagine there is all that much interest in White, so.....

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2022, 02:03:23 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
incredible move, and for scraps!

I have to think there is another domino to fall though, we don't need Smart, Brogdan and White.
i disagree. if a either smart or white are injured, tired, sick, whatever the third guard becomes pritchard. now brogdon is the third guard, which is quite an improvement.

pritchard will come off the bench if injuries occur, blow outs, and the like.

the celtics now have real depth at guard, something they did not have last season. plus, Udoka can "mix and match" line ups to fit with opponents better.

so far this version of the celtics is looking very good. hats off to PBS, and he might still have some moves left.

We need depth at the wing, especially after losing Neismeth, IMO one of the guards needs to go for a wing.

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2022, 02:05:30 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Yessssss love it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2022, 02:05:34 PM »

Online libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
This seems like the kind of trade a homer Celtics fan would propose on this board and get laughed off of it. Unless his injuries are of serious concern this seems like a huge steal. We gave away absolutely nothing. The first rounder will be in the late 20s or even 30.

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2022, 02:06:30 PM »

Offline BackDoorCut

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48

I have to think there is another domino to fall though, we don't need Smart, Brogdan and White.
i disagree. if a either smart or white are injured, tired, sick, whatever the third guard becomes pritchard. now brogdon is the third guard, which is quite an improvement.

the celtics now have real depth at guard, something they did not have last season. plus, Udoka can "mix and match" line ups to fit with opponents better.

so far this version of the celtics is looking very good. hats off to PBS, and he might still have some moves left.

We need depth at the wing, especially after losing Neismeth, IMO one of the guards needs to go for a wing.

Nesmith was basically a body out there. Easily replaceable.

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2022, 02:07:11 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Do the Celtics now have the best - or at least the deepest - backcourt in the league?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2022, 02:08:19 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Sign Thomas Bryant at the vet min, use the TPE to acquire another big man, and then you can add another vet. min guard or wing for depth.

Suddenly we're 10 or even 11 guys deep which is awesome in this scenario!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2022, 02:08:36 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I like the trade a lot.  Barring other moves, I think we might let the TPE expire, because we just added $10 million in salary with the Brogdon trade.  We're about $16 million over the tax line with 10 players under contract, so heading into the $20-25 million threshold.  I don't know that we're going to use the TPE to add another $10-15 million in payroll and wind up in the $35-$40 million range.

For sure!

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2022, 02:09:03 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
This seems like the kind of trade a homer Celtics fan would propose on this board and get laughed off of it. Unless his injuries are of serious concern this seems like a huge steal. We gave away absolutely nothing. The first rounder will be in the late 20s or even 30.

Was thinking the same thing. The proposal would be met with a resounding "Why would Indiana do that?!".

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2022, 02:09:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Nesmith was basically a body out there. Easily replaceable.

I rather play Hauser over Nesmith.

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2022, 02:10:36 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

At this point, we could trade White or Smart and bring back up to about $21M.  If we add in Grant Williams, we could bring back $26M.  The TPE is $17M and limits our flexibility.  Or trade them all for Durant.  I don't see the TPE being deployed in full at this point but we can still do a trade and add salary, for the right player.

Maybe you will finally get your guy Barnes ($18.4M).  We can't quite get him with the TPE but we could for Smart or White (just for example).

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2022, 02:12:50 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Hahaha love it. Brad and Ime definitely have a type. If he can stay healthy, Brogdon is an excellent addition and fits in well here, and it didn’t really cost a single rotation player either.

I will say I’m a bit concerned about big depth now, but man look at this rotation:

PG: Smart, White, PP
SG: Brown, Brogdon
SF: Tatum, GWill, Hauser
PF: Horford, Gallo
C: Timelord, ?

Just need to solidify the backup big spot. I wonder what we’ll do there.

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2022, 02:14:31 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

At this point, we could trade White or Smart and bring back up to about $21M.  If we add in Grant Williams, we could bring back $26M.  The TPE is $17M and limits our flexibility.  Or trade them all for Durant.  I don't see the TPE being deployed in full at this point but we can still do a trade and add salary, for the right player.

Maybe you will finally get your guy Barnes ($18.4M).  We can't quite get him with the TPE but we could for Smart or White (just for example).
It boggles my mind that people are still suggesting the Celtics trade Marcus Smart lol. Did we all not see this season just how integral he is to this team? He is the heart and soul of this group. Trading him could potentially cause major issues in the locker room, not to mention what it would do to the team defensively.