Author Topic: C’s trade for Malcolm Brogdon  (Read 18395 times)

Re: C’s trade for Malcolm Brogdon
« Reply #255 on: July 03, 2022, 11:19:47 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Does Brogdon basically give us what we had in Hayward, but with better defense and a much better fit personality wise? His ball handling and passing will be huge for this team.

What was wrong with Hayward’s personality? Guy willingly comes here, says and does all the right things. Obviously has devastating injury game 1, but players like Brown, Smart, Morris, Rozier are all threatened by his return and make him feel unwelcome.

Dude could have returned better than ever and they still would have had a problem losing playing time to him.
CELTICS 2024

Re: C’s to trade for Malcolm Brogdon?
« Reply #256 on: July 03, 2022, 11:29:31 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
If you think Theis and Richardson are comparable talents, It’s not worth discussing this further.  :-X

Neither is worth a first. Both have been salary-dumped in the last year. They're veteran journeymen, and I mean they're fine as players, but they were both salary filler in the deals that sent them out of Boston where the late first was the centerpiece both times.

I think the question is more whether Richardson + Langford is about equal to Theis + Nesmith.  Richardson + Langford is probably a little more value but they are in the ball park.  None of the players involved are all that important or hard to replace.  It is interesting to compare these two deals.  I don't know how Brogdon is going to hold up but it seems that we got more for less with Brogdon over White.  The Brogdon deal was a great deal (or seems like it now) and the White deal is pretty widely viewed as an OK deal but somewhat of an overpay.  No one is viewing the Brogdon deal as an overpay.

White seemed uncomfortable on the Celtics.  It didn't seem he ever quite felt like he was comfortable with asserting himself. Then he missed all those shots to start and I think got the yips.  It will be interesting to see how his confidence/comfort level is next season.  I don't expect Brogdon to have any trouble with confidence or fitting in but who knows.

« Reply #257 on: July 03, 2022, 11:31:13 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Does Brogdon basically give us what we had in Hayward, but with better defense and a much better fit personality wise? His ball handling and passing will be huge for this team.

What was wrong with Hayward’s personality? Guy willingly comes here, says and does all the right things. Obviously has devastating injury game 1, but players like Brown, Smart, Morris, Rozier are all threatened by his return and make him feel unwelcome.

Dude could have returned better than ever and they still would have had a problem losing playing time to him.
I never got the sense he really fit in with the group. It appears the same thing has happened in Charlotte.

I don't think anyone will tell you Hayward is a bad guy but I struggle to remember many players having anything to say about him at all.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #258 on: July 03, 2022, 11:34:27 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I never got the sense he really fit in with the group. It appears the same thing has happened in Charlotte.

I don't think anyone will tell you Hayward is a bad guy but I struggle to remember many players having anything to say about him at all.

Hayward was doing well and leading Hornets to winning record until injuries derailed him again.

« Reply #259 on: July 03, 2022, 11:37:48 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

There was that interview and photo session that Gordon did with the Jays and Smart. Hayward looked very much out of place and a bit uncomfortable. 3 younger, more liberal black kids and a conservative older white guy is how it looked and felt.

I'm not saying there was friction or that they didn't get along, it just looked like in the locker room, it might not have been the best of fits.

« Reply #260 on: July 03, 2022, 11:47:58 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528

Yes, great talent and injury waiting to happen.
But…undoubtedly worth it; can’t wait to see the Jays and Brogdon on the court together.

« Reply #261 on: July 03, 2022, 12:15:24 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Hayward walked away from the C's. He said he wasn't comfortable with his role here and wanted to do more.

Looking now, because he has broken down, he's in roughly the same role at Charlotte he was here for the same reasons. Younger players with talent have taken primary control and he will be now forced to fit around them.

And Malcolm Brogdon has been brought here to accept that role Hayward couldn't for us: a near star with a well rounded game who breaks down often and hasn't fully achieved what was expected of them. Younger players with talent have taken primary control and now Brogdon will accept that he has to fit around them. Brogdon gets to do that with a team which will compete for titles the next few years. He will likely get to play important minutes competing at the highest level.

Hayward couldn't accept what he was, and the cost is that he will finish his career stuck on an NBA team that will barely make the playoffs, and watch his minutes shrink, in part because they never reach the win now phase.

« Reply #262 on: July 03, 2022, 12:18:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706

Hayward was doing well and leading Hornets to winning record until injuries derailed him again.

Hayward didn’t lead the Hornets, he played a supporting role for Ball and Scary Terry.

« Reply #263 on: July 03, 2022, 12:21:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
Hayward walked away from the C's. He said he wasn't comfortable with his role here and wanted to do more.

Looking now, because he has broken down, he's in roughly the same role at Charlotte he was here for the same reasons. Younger players with talent have taken primary control and he will be now forced to fit around them.

And Malcolm Brogdon has been brought here to accept that role Hayward couldn't for us: a near star with a well rounded game who breaks down often and hasn't fully achieved what was expected of them. Younger players with talent have taken primary control and now Brogdon will accept that he has to fit around them. Brogdon gets to do that with a team which will compete for titles the next few years. He will likely get to play important minutes competing at the highest level.

Hayward couldn't accept what he was, and the cost is that he will finish his career stuck on an NBA team that will barely make the playoffs, and watch his minutes shrink, in part because they never reach the win now phase.

Very well put. This is exactly how I see it. Hayward seems like a nice guy, but he struggled with taking a backseat to Tatum and Brown. He’s taking a backseat to Ball and Terry now in Charlotte.

Brogdon on the other hand knows what is expected of him coming in and is happy to take on that role. Plus, he’s a better defender which is key for a team built on defense.