Poll

Would you do the combined deals below for Murray?

Yes, I would do it (fair for both sides)
17 (53.1%)
Yes, I would do it (but I don’t think Spurs would)
5 (15.6%)
No, I wouldn’t do it.
10 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Dejounte Murray deal: Dealt to ATL  (Read 10644 times)

Re: Dejounte Murray deal: Dealt to ATL
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2022, 08:43:15 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The picks are

23 - Charlotte 1st
25 - Atlanta 1st
27 - Atlanta 1st

and swap rights in 26. 

So the picks all could be solid picks, but could also all not be very good as the Hawks are a pretty young team.

Our picks would likely be worse for ATL and SAS made sure to push them out a year rather than take a 2022 pick.

« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2022, 08:50:34 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Hawks have some extra unnecessary players now (like Huerter who wouldn't be bad here if they wanted to send him off in a TPE). 

That said, I wonder if they will go hard after Gobert now.

Something like

Conley, Gobert

for

Collins, Hunter, Capela

I can see something like that working for both teams.
Why they want Conley since they just acquire Murray..plus too much for Hawks to give up
because they don't have draft picks it would take to get Gobert, so the fee is taking on conley's big contract.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2022, 09:38:28 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
At first I thought Murray was the last kind of player the Hawks should target, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.  Tre Young was a zero in this years playoffs.  I think they want to get the ball out of his hands a lot more of the time and have others create for him for a change.  At first I was thinking that Brunson would be a better fit because of his shooting, but Murray's defense is more necessary to offset Young's lack of defense.  I like it for Atlanta.

This is how I've felt about it since Atlanta was rumored to be interested. You can see their thinking - get a bigger guard who can handle the ball and push Trae off the ball on offense, and on defense is good enough to take the pressure off of Trae and take the harder guard assignment.

There'll be an adjustment period and a lot is contingent on Trae buying in to playing more off ball (hopefully he does, because he for sure has that capability), but they should end up being a really entertaining backcourt.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2022, 05:59:36 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I still can’t understand why Minnesota didn’t go all in for Murray instead of Golbert.

Dejounte Murray would have been perfect next to Edwards. But Timberwolves gotta Timberwolves, so they go and get Golbert who’s on astronomical wages and is a poor fit next to Towns.

Neither Golbert nor Towns is quick enough to defend the perimeter, so what is their long term plan for the pair?
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2022, 03:28:47 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
So do people hate the Derrick White deal more or the Dejounte Murray deal more.
Hate the white deal even more as those assets could have gone towards Murray or a better player. White himself is a negative asset right now. But who knows if Spurs feel the same way about Murray if White is still there.

How about now?

« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2022, 03:46:50 AM »

Offline stes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
Hate the white deal even more as those assets could have gone towards Murray or a better player. White himself is a negative asset right now. But who knows if Spurs feel the same way about Murray if White is still there.

How about now?

I was so disappointed that we didn’t trade for Murray, but seeing how little we paid for Brogdon and that he might be a better fit as a floor-spacer and a lower usage player, I’m so happy with what Brad is doing. Now let’s get a backup center, unless Gallinari is supposed to be one (Jabari Parker style, lol)

« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2022, 04:02:48 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

How about now?

I was so disappointed that we didn’t trade for Murray, but seeing how little we paid for Brogdon and that he might be a better fit as a floor-spacer and a lower usage player, I’m so happy with what Brad is doing. Now let’s get a backup center, unless Gallinari is supposed to be one (Jabari Parker style, lol)

I think we paid less for White AND Brogdon than what ATL had paid for Murray right?

Gut feeling (and homer goggles) say that White + Brogdon are also better fits. Neither need the ball, nor need to prove themselves.

« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2022, 09:49:10 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

How about now?

I believe Gallo is being counted on to be our backup center. I expect him to take Theis' minutes and be an offensive orientated small ball center like Bjelica (only more talented) was for GSW.

« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2022, 10:10:32 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

How about now?

I think we paid less for White AND Brogdon than what ATL had paid for Murray right?

Gut feeling (and homer goggles) say that White + Brogdon are also better fits. Neither need the ball, nor need to prove themselves.

This is competitive basketball at the highest level. Everyone needs to prove themselves. Every year. Sometimes players want to prove a different thing than the coaches do.

I love what the C's did. But I would have preferred going all in on Murray. He possesses a top tier size and athleticism that matches up with Tatum and Brown, plus he lines up on age perfectly. That type of athleticism has a cumulative impact. When you add in Robert Williams, it could have been really intimidating.

We chose Brogdon instead, and that probably was influenced by the commitment to Smart. I think they can let Smart keep his role with Brogdon, and it would have made no sense at all with Murray to do the same thing. I'm not a huge Marcus Smart fan, but shoving him out of the way for Murray might have possibly caused some locker room issues, so there is a solid argument for going the route we did.

As long as he's there when it counts, I think Brogdon will be enough. This is going to be fun.

« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2022, 09:55:33 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

How about now?

This is competitive basketball at the highest level. Everyone needs to prove themselves. Every year. Sometimes players want to prove a different thing than the coaches do.

I love what the C's did. But I would have preferred going all in on Murray. He possesses a top tier size and athleticism that matches up with Tatum and Brown, plus he lines up on age perfectly. That type of athleticism has a cumulative impact. When you add in Robert Williams, it could have been really intimidating.

We chose Brogdon instead, and that probably was influenced by the commitment to Smart. I think they can let Smart keep his role with Brogdon, and it would have made no sense at all with Murray to do the same thing. I'm not a huge Marcus Smart fan, but shoving him out of the way for Murray might have possibly caused some locker room issues, so there is a solid argument for going the route we did.

As long as he's there when it counts, I think Brogdon will be enough. This is going to be fun.

Yes it's highly competitive, but I guess there's levels to it.

There's also improvement by understanding one's role. For example I think Grant was a top 2 option (I believe next to Admiral Schofield) in college. So he's had to evolve into someone suited to be a role player.

Zach Lowe put it quite well. Brogdon will go from running 90 pick and rolls and being the centerpiece, to probably 15 per game with us. If he doesn't want to do that, well he can just sit.

You're right, though. Whenever you can grab talent, you should go for it (unless there's major strings attached, like with Kyrie).

I guess there's also the aspect of the Celtics valuing Murray less than multiple future firsts, and/or the Spurs not valuing the Celtics' picks as highly.

« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2022, 10:11:44 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm fine going with Brogdon given the cost, but I do think that had Boston acquired Murray, it would have then moved on from Smart and picked up other assets. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2022, 10:42:32 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I still can’t understand why Minnesota didn’t go all in for Murray instead of Golbert.

Dejounte Murray would have been perfect next to Edwards. But Timberwolves gotta Timberwolves, so they go and get Golbert who’s on astronomical wages and is a poor fit next to Towns.

Neither Golbert nor Towns is quick enough to defend the perimeter, so what is their long term plan for the pair?

I stand by this statement.

That deal was crazy then and crazy now…especially with Murray on the trade block at the time.

Dejounte Murray was only traded for a Gallinari salary dump and 3 picks (only 2 from Atlanta) and a potential pick swap. Golbert cost them Jarred Vanderbilt, Malik Beasley, Leandro Bolmaro, Walker Kessler…AND 4 picks, plus a pick swap.

Murray
Edwards
Anderson
McDaniels
Towns

Russell, Beasley, Vanderbilt, Prince, Landale

—————————

Is this team perfect? No of course not, but they are mostly switchable on defence, can play a faster pace that would suit Edwards and have plenty of assets (including all their picks) to move if a real star player becomes available.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 10:49:39 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2022, 11:08:35 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

I stand by this statement.

That deal was crazy then and crazy now…especially with Murray on the trade block at the time.

Dejounte Murray was only traded for a Gallinari salary dump and 3 picks (only 2 from Atlanta) and a potential pick swap. Golbert cost them Jarred Vanderbilt, Malik Beasley, Leandro Bolmaro, Walker Kessler…AND 4 picks, plus a pick swap.

Murray
Edwards
Anderson
McDaniels
Towns

Russell, Beasley, Vanderbilt, Prince, Landale

—————————

Is this team perfect? No of course not, but they are mostly switchable on defence, can play a faster pace that would suit Edwards and have plenty of assets (including all their picks) to move if a real star player becomes available.

The Spurs seem to prefer trading players to the EC teams. That Minnesota trade with Utah was just insane. Danny certainly  took them to the cleaners. Also, I wouldn’t at all be surprised if the T-Wolves canned their coach and hired Udoka considering they have a lot of talent, but seem to lack toughness. Especially on defense.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2022, 12:45:50 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
MIN may have overpaid for Gobert, but I am not sure Dejounte Murray solves MIN's problems.  If I was MIN, I would give this group some more time before I blow it up.  Definitely try a new coach first.  I actually thought Towns as a PF and Gobert as the Center was going to be formidable.  Edwards, Russell, and McDaniels should be fine complimentary players.