Poll

Would you do the combined deals below for Murray?

Yes, I would do it (fair for both sides)
17 (53.1%)
Yes, I would do it (but I don’t think Spurs would)
5 (15.6%)
No, I wouldn’t do it.
10 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Dejounte Murray deal: Dealt to ATL  (Read 10646 times)

Re: Dejounte Murray deal: Yes or No?
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2022, 05:49:11 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

DEJOUNTE MURRAY
PG, ATLANTA HAWKS
murray
The San Antonio Spurs are trading Dejounte Murray to the Atlanta Hawks in exchange for Danilo Gallinari, a 2023 first-round pick, a 2025 first-round pick, a 2027 first-round pick and a 2026 pick swap.
There it is. This move shows that the Spurs are heading into full rebuild mode, likely eyeing potential 2023 No. 1 overall pick Victor Wembanyama. The Hawks, however, have added a much-needed defensive presence to their backcourt, and while it is an interesting combo of Murray and Trae Young, that doesn’t mean it won’t be fun. Trae had some issues in the playoffs when he received a ton of on-ball pressure from the tenacious Miami Heat defense, and Murray is another guy that can take it up the floor so that Trae isn’t stuck with sole ball-handling responsibilities. We can’t expect Murray to be a first-round fantasy guy again while playing next to one of the league’s top young point guards, but he should have no issue putting up solid numbers nonetheless.

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2022, 05:52:12 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well we can kiss that trade idea goodbye.  Hawks got a very good player who I believe is going to ascend to the next level very soon as the face of their franchise.

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2022, 05:53:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Nope...

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2022, 05:55:30 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Well we can kiss that trade idea goodbye.  Hawks got a very good player who I believe is going to ascend to the next level very soon as the face of their franchise.

Not if he's not allowed to touch the ball. There's a reason there are more and more rumblings about players who don't like to play with Young. Abilities atrophy next to a helio-centric player like Young. Murray won't get better.

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2022, 05:55:49 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I'm not sure about that trade to Atlanta. Do they think Murray is the missing piece for them to contend? Can they improve further in the trade and free agent markets after that? I thought they could not and that Murray wouldn't be enough for them.

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2022, 05:56:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Hawks definitely got a good deal. MIL gave up more for Jrue in terms of players with actual value and had to send an additional swap. It's a surprise SAS sold so low on their young, cheap All-Star, but I guess they really are tanking for Wembanyama.

Imagine having Murray instead of White. All it would have taken is two additional 1sts.

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2022, 05:59:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Utterly, ridiculously we did not try harder.  I felt when Udoka said the improvement will come within, we were going to be hosed.

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2022, 06:06:35 PM »

Offline ashanm10

• NGT
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 11
  • Ahsan from Greece :D Panathinaikos and Celtics Fan
A player and picks - seriously Celtics why..
🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Banner 18...and BEYOND!!!

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2022, 06:19:53 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
The Hawks definitely got a good deal. MIL gave up more for Jrue in terms of players with actual value and had to send an additional swap. It's a surprise SAS sold so low on their young, cheap All-Star, but I guess they really are tanking for Wembanyama.

Imagine having Murray instead of White. All it would have taken is two additional 1sts.

You're not taking opportunity cost into account. If we use all our bullets on another defensive guard how are we finding a wing scorer and Al replacement?

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2022, 06:30:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Can someone explain why the Spurs didn’t want a 25 year old Murray to be a part of their rebuild? Dude averaged 21/8/9. What are the chances any of the Hawks picks turn out to be that good. Slim, I would think. If he was like 27/28 I would understand, but you don’t want a 25 year old all star? Does he have a bad attitude or not play defense? Don’t get it.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2022, 06:32:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Can someone explain why the Spurs didn’t want a 25 year old Murray to be part of their rebuild? Dude averaged 21/8/9. What are the chances any of the Hawks picks turn out to be that good. Slim, I would think. If he was like 27/28 I would understand, but you don’t want a 25 year old all star? Does he have a bad attitude or not play defense? Don’t get it.

He's just good enough to keep you from being bad enough to rebuild.

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2022, 07:02:54 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Can someone explain why the Spurs didn’t want a 25 year old Murray to be part of their rebuild? Dude averaged 21/8/9. What are the chances any of the Hawks picks turn out to be that good. Slim, I would think. If he was like 27/28 I would understand, but you don’t want a 25 year old all star? Does he have a bad attitude or not play defense? Don’t get it.

He's just good enough to keep you from being bad enough to rebuild.

They needed to crash and burn before they rebuild. Murray was credited with getting them into the play-in vs the lottery. Same reason they didn't want Collins and won't want to keep Gallinari.

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2022, 07:05:09 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Welp. We could maybe have beaten that deal, but it was a hefty ransom. Hopefully, there are future dominoes to fall from this move that we can benefit from: Galinari being bought out? Keldon Johnson available in a Spurs fire-sale to tank for Wembanyana? Huerter or Bogdanovic more available now that the Hawks have a glut of guards?

Re: Dejounte Murray deal: Dealt to ATL
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2022, 07:12:25 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
gonna be the first time in my lifetime seeing the spurs tank. crazy.

Re: Dejounte Murray deal: Dealt to ATL
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2022, 07:12:52 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
How the heck are Trae Young and Dejounte Murray meant to be able to play alongside one another?

Both guys are only effective when they have the ball in their hands.