Poll

Would you do the combined deals below for Murray?

Yes, I would do it (fair for both sides)
17 (53.1%)
Yes, I would do it (but I don’t think Spurs would)
5 (15.6%)
No, I wouldn’t do it.
10 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Dejounte Murray deal: Dealt to ATL  (Read 10701 times)

Re: Dejounte Murray deal: Yes or No?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2022, 03:24:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If the team wants Murray they should do the trade.   He checks almost every box save shooting and I think that should improve with us as Brown and Tatum will take a ton of heat off him.  So I voted do it the Murray Trade.   He is way better than anyone would draft.  I would give up 3 or 4 picks for him.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2022, 03:42:40 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
If the team wants Murray they should do the trade.   He checks almost every box save shooting and I think that should improve with us as Brown and Tatum will take a ton of heat off him.  So I voted do it the Murray Trade.   He is way better than anyone would draft.  I would give up 3 or 4 picks for him.

Yeah, He's the best available PG target. Today I've seen Burks rumored, Mill, And even that the C's are going to offer John Wall a 2 year 20 mill contract. Don't know how legit that is, seen him connected to Clips, but there is enough smoke that it looks like they are trying to upgrade the PG spot.

It also means that one of White/Pritchard and Smart are probably gone. If they go after Murry is Smart okay coming off the Bench again. I think Pritchard stays cause of his contract and out of the 3 he's the best shooter and if he can get down the Eddie house role, he's going to be leathal, cause he could also start in spots with his dribbling and plays solid D for his size.

I think if they get Burks, White is out, if Murry, Smart is gone, I just don't see him going back to the bench, but I
d like to see it. One name that ha s popped up today was Crowder. Which I'd be happy to see back, need his toughness.

But I agree with giving up multiple picks. If you have Murry/Tatum/Brown/Williams as your core, your surrounding them with Vets for the next 5 years. When they hit 30, they you worry about picks.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2022, 03:55:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
If todays rumors are true we aren't offering enough:

Speaking of first-rounders, the Spurs are asking for a bounty of them in any potential Murray trade, per LJ Ellis of Spurs Talk.

"San Antonio’s asking price for Murray is four first round draft picks with little to no protections," Ellis wrote in a story published Tuesday morning. "Alternatively, the Spurs want three minimally protected first rounders and two unprotected first round pick swaps."

They can shove it for that asking price

Is that what BKN gave up for James Harden? 3 first and 2 swaps?

Seems fair if you are giving up no talent in the deal. Keep all your current guys.
Nope.  Harden cost a lot more than that.

Harden

for

Jarrett Allen
Rodions Kurucs
Caris LeVert
Taurean Prince
Rights to Aleksandar Vezenkov
Swaps in 21, 23, 25, 27
1st's in 22, 24, 26

2 other teams were added where Allen, Prince, and Vezenkov went to Cleveland for a 1st and Exum to Houston (that was also in 22), LeVert went to Indiana with Oladipo to the Rockets
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2022, 04:09:13 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
If todays rumors are true we aren't offering enough:

Speaking of first-rounders, the Spurs are asking for a bounty of them in any potential Murray trade, per LJ Ellis of Spurs Talk.

"San Antonio’s asking price for Murray is four first round draft picks with little to no protections," Ellis wrote in a story published Tuesday morning. "Alternatively, the Spurs want three minimally protected first rounders and two unprotected first round pick swaps."

They can shove it for that asking price

Is that what BKN gave up for James Harden? 3 first and 2 swaps?

Seems fair if you are giving up no talent in the deal. Keep all your current guys.
Nope.  Harden cost a lot more than that.

Harden

for

Jarrett Allen
Rodions Kurucs
Caris LeVert
Taurean Prince
Rights to Aleksandar Vezenkov
Swaps in 21, 23, 25, 27
1st's in 22, 24, 26

2 other teams were added where Allen, Prince, and Vezenkov went to Cleveland for a 1st and Exum to Houston (that was also in 22), LeVert went to Indiana with Oladipo to the Rockets

Dang. That is a much bigger return than I had remembered.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2022, 05:01:00 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72
I’d do both deals.

I’d do Smart and 2 firsts if I had to.

In a vacuum many may feel he is overvalued.  But I believe he would be better than he is now and compliment the J’s so well by alieviating pressure off them and getting them easier buckets in transition and in the half set.  His athleticism, length, defense, age…makes all the sense in the world.

If they want cap space and would take the TPE, I’d try trading Smart for Collins as well.

Murray
Brown
Tatum
Collins
Timelord

Boom!

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2022, 05:52:03 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Yeah, He's the best available PG target. Today I've seen Burks rumored, Mill, And even that the C's are going to offer John Wall a 2 year 20 mill contract. Don't know how legit that is, seen him connected to Clips, but there is enough smoke that it looks like they are trying to upgrade the PG spot.

It also means that one of White/Pritchard and Smart are probably gone. If they go after Murry is Smart okay coming off the Bench again. I think Pritchard stays cause of his contract and out of the 3 he's the best shooter and if he can get down the Eddie house role, he's going to be leathal, cause he could also start in spots with his dribbling and plays solid D for his size.

I think if they get Burks, White is out, if Murry, Smart is gone, I just don't see him going back to the bench, but I
d like to see it. One name that ha s popped up today was Crowder. Which I'd be happy to see back, need his toughness.

But I agree with giving up multiple picks. If you have Murry/Tatum/Brown/Williams as your core, your surrounding them with Vets for the next 5 years. When they hit 30, they you worry about picks.
I still can’t bear the thought of losing Smart.  I’ll take Burks/Noel in a deal with NYK and run it back.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2022, 06:09:56 PM »

Offline Dchuck

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 72

I still can’t bear the thought of losing Smart.  I’ll take Burks/Noel in a deal with NYK and run it back.

I think we’ve seen the best/ceiling of Smart.  Offensively, he is what he is…no handle, streaky shooter and limited strengths who is not a reliable 3rd offensive option.  Defensively, I wonder how long his body will hold up with how physical he plays - diving, taking charges, flopping, etc.

My heart says no, but my mind and eyes see the path to even getting back to the Finals is looking harder as teams get healthier and better.

We cant run this back with the likes of Burks and expect him to be a difference maker.

With all that said, I am not expecting fireworks 🫤

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2022, 06:21:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Minnesota are meant to prepping an offer for him. Pair Dejounte with Anthony Edwards and Karl Anthony Towns.

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2022, 06:32:48 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Im either way on Murray
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2022, 06:46:01 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I think we’ve seen the best/ceiling of Smart.  Offensively, he is what he is…no handle, streaky shooter and limited strengths who is not a reliable 3rd offensive option.  Defensively, I wonder how long his body will hold up with how physical he plays - diving, taking charges, flopping, etc.

My heart says no, but my mind and eyes see the path to even getting back to the Finals is looking harder as teams get healthier and better.

We cant run this back with the likes of Burks and expect him to be a difference maker.

With all that said, I am not expecting fireworks 🫤

Yeah, I love Smart, when he's playing well his D and hitting big shots with some of his passes are fun to watch. I think he's some one you need on the team to win, but Murry could be an upgrade, a little younger and less wear and tear on his body.

I wouldn't be surprise if Smart has 3 more years before his body starts breaking down, but we also have seen him have really bad injuries to come back faster than most. So who knows.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2022, 08:41:55 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I don’t think trading for Murray means you have to then move Smart. I think you could run with a Murray / Smart / Brown / Tatum / Rob lineup. Al could move to the bench to limit his minutes and becomes the primary backup to Rob (while still getting some time at the 4). You could stagger Smart and Murray the same way they stagger Brown and Tatum. If they both played 34 MPG, only 20 of those minutes would need to be together. Essentially, you could ensure that for all 48 minutes in a game, you have one of Smart/Murray on the floor, one of Tatum/Brown, and one of Rob/Al. Those are pretty strong 3 man groups to build lineups around.

I do agree that having all three of Murray, Smart, and White would probably be light on shooting from the guard spot. If we got Murray, a good follow-up move would be White to Atlanta for Huerter (relatively straight up). White would give Atlanta the D they need next to Young; we would get a better shooter.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2022, 09:42:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
If you acquire Murray, you have to move Smart elsewhere.

Just tinkering around I came up with this

Celtics - Murray, McDermott, LeVert
Cavaliers - Smart, Stauskas, Morgan
Spurs - Love, Nesmith, Pritchard, Cavs 23, Bos 23, Bos 25, swap Bos 24

So Post-Trade Boston's 2-Deep roster

PG - Murray, White
SG - Brown, LeVert
SF - Tatum, Grant
PF - Horford, McDermott
C - Rob, Theis

Deep Bench/2W - FA, Kornet, Fitts, Ryan, Thomas, Hauser, Davison

That is a lot to give up, but that team would check all of the boxes upgrading not only the 3rd player from Smart to Murray, but also adding quality depth (and some shooting) to the bench in LeVert and McDermott (who both hopefully can stay healthier coming off the bench). 

The Cavs clear a ton of cap room to re-sign Sexton and then have an excellent trio of guards in Garland, Smart, and Sexton to go along with their triple 7 footers in Allen, Mobley, Markkanen while still having Okoro, Osman, Agbaji, and Wade for bench depth.

The Spurs take on Love for the year to clear out McDermott, but pick up 3 1st's and 2 recent 1st rounders to really amp up their rebuild.

Trade at least in theory would make sense for all 3 teams, though I'm not sure any of them do it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2022, 10:18:05 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Dejounte Murray added a "clover" emoji in his headline bio on instagram.

Celtics.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2022, 10:19:41 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
This guy would fit so well in Boston.

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2022, 10:22:56 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Dejounte Murray added a "clover" emoji in his headline bio on instagram.

Celtics.

Lol. I love that the players have added an element to the off-season. Not just rumors and wondering, but players actively messing with fan-bases.