Poll

Do you feel the Celtics need a true #1 Point Guard?

Yes
14 (37.8%)
No
23 (62.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Do the Celtics need a #1 Point Guard: NBA Finals Reaction  (Read 8036 times)

Do the Celtics need a #1 Point Guard: NBA Finals Reaction
« on: June 18, 2022, 11:39:52 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
So I watched the Celtics meltdown and lose to the Warriors in epic fashion after going up 2-1.  Overall I feel the Celtics had more talent and team depth.  But they just shot themselves in the foot by turning the ball over too often.  I feel like Marcus Smart has hit his ceiling.  He's a very good defense first point, but he's not the composed, cool field general that the Celtics need to lift Championship trophy #17. 

Too many times the Celtics lost their composure, or got sloppy, and just turned the ball over to Golden State.  And it happened time and time again.  I'm not going to blame this all on Smart, everyone played their part in the loss.  But for a Celtics team that is bigger and more athletic than the Warriors, I really don't feel this happens if we have a true #1 PG.  Forget about adding more scoring, we have enough.  Give us a true field general, and I think we lift up that next championship trophy.

So do you agree?  If so who would you target in the trade market or do you feel Pritchard can eventually be that guy?  I just felt that Pritchard is too limited to ever be our #1 point.  He fills that backup spot fine, but he doesn't pose enough of a threat offensively, or show the special 'vision' to be the #1 PG on a championship roster.  Agree, disagree, or counterpoints welcome!  Poll is up!

Re: Do the Celtics need a #1 Point Guard: NBA Finals Reaction
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 11:53:38 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Almost no chance of PP being that guy. I still think that guy could have become Scary Terry if Ainge had not been obsessed with Irving followed by Kemba. If the fellas miss Terry, I think he’s who we should target to bring in to run point with Smart back to running the defense as our 2, Brown at 3, Tatum at 4 and Timelord at 5 when healthy or Horford when Timelord is unwell. Terry is small but a feisty enough defender (just play D-White at point more than Terry in those games against tall PGs), and he can bring some scoring/passing/unpredictability that could make this offense far more dynamic. If he has chemistry/friendship with JT/JB/Smart/Horford, it just makes sense to bring back the entire band.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 01:24:01 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not gonna happen, but a Horford for Rozier swap would probably benefit both teams.

I am fine with Smart at PG and think he is the main reason our defense works so well, but it’s not like Rozier is tiny. I don’t think we need a two big system, but also want to make sure we are running something bigger than the 2020 bubble

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 01:30:38 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
PP is a bench player who can carve out a long career if he focuses on shooting and lateral speed to play defense. He’s not going to be a floor general.

I do think floor general is a concern for the C’s though. So either Marcus Smart needs to get “older and wiser” or he needs help. I hope there’s a vet out there who can come in off the bench and, if needed, play crunch time minutes. Someone like a Rondo-esque player who can stabilize and give our top guys confidence, getting them to their most productive spots on the floor. Not to say he’ll always play at the end of games but having that option is a huge benefit.

- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 02:39:11 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think the personnel we have in the starting lineup is fine. The issue we have is this, which Ime mentioned in his press conference:

“I think the biggest part for us is the IQ section,” Udoka said. “That’s where we saw a huge difference in consistency with us and Golden State, just the little things that experience only can teach you.”

https://theathletic.com/3370802/2022/06/17/celtics-warriors-nba-finals/

That's what let them down. The IQ section. That contributed to the turnovers, because they made the wrong reads at times, passing into heavy traffic trying to make a grandstand play (Smartacus a big culprit), dribbling the ball into a crowd of 3 defenders and trying to do a behind the back (Jaylen) before losing their handle and then trying to do a kickout directly behind them (Jaylen again), or trying to milk a foul driving into contact and not taking care of the ball and letting it get swatted away (Tatum). Panicking when they get punished in transition by making careless passes. Highlight passes and trick moves are what end up on ESPN but sometimes you have to hit singles and not go for home runs. You need to be able to make the right reads to know when to attempt a Hail Mary play. We have too many of those where we go WOW when it succeeds (about 13% of the time) but curse at our TV when it doesn't (87% of the time).

When he is playing within himself and just making the right, simple play to keep the ball moving, I think Smartacus is a decent ball handler. Even if you got a point guard Tatum and Brown will spend a lot of time on the ball anyway because that's how they play. Tatum is going to initiate a lot of the play, like KD does for Brooklyn even with Cryrie there. Or LeBum in LA even with Rondo and Schroder. I just don't think we're that kind of team that would benefit from having a CP3 type floor general. Not unless we get someone like CP3 and change the way the team plays to accommodate his talents. And there's very few of those players around.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 03:45:26 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Nope. As I’ve said in other threads, there’s no way to get this “true” point guard type without detracting from our biggest strength - defence. There’s no Jason Kidd type out there who can be a floor general whilst defending 1-3, sadly.

I’ve personally been intrigued by some trade proposals thrown around here over the last few days, like Smart for Brunson or Horford+ for Wendell Carter Jr., but I’d rather we focus on veteran free agent acquisitions and making a good splash with our TPE(s)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 03:46:15 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think the personnel we have in the starting lineup is fine. The issue we have is this, which Ime mentioned in his press conference:

“I think the biggest part for us is the IQ section,” Udoka said. “That’s where we saw a huge difference in consistency with us and Golden State, just the little things that experience only can teach you.”

https://theathletic.com/3370802/2022/06/17/celtics-warriors-nba-finals/

That's what let them down. The IQ section. That contributed to the turnovers, because they made the wrong reads at times, passing into heavy traffic trying to make a grandstand play (Smartacus a big culprit), dribbling the ball into a crowd of 3 defenders and trying to do a behind the back (Jaylen) before losing their handle and then trying to do a kickout directly behind them (Jaylen again), or trying to milk a foul driving into contact and not taking care of the ball and letting it get swatted away (Tatum). Panicking when they get punished in transition by making careless passes. Highlight passes and trick moves are what end up on ESPN but sometimes you have to hit singles and not go for home runs. You need to be able to make the right reads to know when to attempt a Hail Mary play. We have too many of those where we go WOW when it succeeds (about 13% of the time) but curse at our TV when it doesn't (87% of the time).

When he is playing within himself and just making the right, simple play to keep the ball moving, I think Smartacus is a decent ball handler. Even if you got a point guard Tatum and Brown will spend a lot of time on the ball anyway because that's how they play. Tatum is going to initiate a lot of the play, like KD does for Brooklyn even with Cryrie there. Or LeBum in LA even with Rondo and Schroder. I just don't think we're that kind of team that would benefit from having a CP3 type floor general. Not unless we get someone like CP3 and change the way the team plays to accommodate his talents. And there's very few of those players around.

Yes. I've said it elsewhere, but it bears repeating: Boston's BBIQ was ridiculous low in the Finals, especially in the last three games but even for big chunks of the first three. I kept saying to myself throughout the series (moreso in the latter half): "I've never seen so much dumb basketball from these guys."

And, yes, lack of experience was a big factor, but I don't think it was the only one—there were numerous plays that were just total head-scratchers, nothing really to do with whether they'd been in the Finals before. There were many awful, unforced turnovers, of course, and there were the many times guys just stood there and let the Warriors get uncontested offensive rebounds.

And then there were plays like the one where Smart tried quite pathetically to draw a foul on a 3pt attempt—he thought he would get the call, so he threw up a sort of hook-shot 3-pointer, kinda like a player might jokingly do after play has been stopped. Except he was serious. And play had not been stopped.

Overall, Boston's Finals play was some of the dumbest basketball I've ever seen by professionals, especially for a team that was one of the last two standing for that season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 04:15:47 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I believe we do. Off the top of my head, four names come to mind: Brunson (S&T), Rubio, Conley, Tyus Jones.

I'd love us to somehow acquire CP3 or Haliburton, but it's a pipe dream.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 07:02:55 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Yessss..Smart is not a true PG…way to many turnovers and makes lots of dumb plays..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 07:10:55 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I believe we do. Off the top of my head, four names come to mind: Brunson (S&T), Rubio, Conley, Tyus Jones.

Not seeing a sign and trade happening next season, mostly because Smart isn't being traded and Boston's top 6 guys make a bit over $127 million combined.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 07:28:55 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yessss..Smart is not a true PG…way to many turnovers and makes lots of dumb plays..
Smart, for all his really dumb turnovers caused by him being too flashy, actually takes good care of the ball. During the season he averaged only 2.2 TOs for an assist to turnover ratio of 2.68 which is very good. In the playoffs as a whole he averaged 2.5 turnovers for an assist to turnover ratio of 2.36. Again, very good.

Those Ast/TO rates are right there with or better than more highly regarded passers like Harden, Jokic, Trae, Doncic, Curry, Jrue, Garland and Ball

He did have a bad Finals with turnovers. That is true.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 10:17:38 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 07:33:41 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Of all of those guys, only Rubio and maybe Jones are attainable and only the latter would be worth any pursuit.

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 07:35:08 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Not necessarily.

It is one avenue open to improving the team's offense but it is not an absolute need. The offense led by Smart worked very well for the season on the whole and Smart himself played well. And defensively his D at PG was a key reason to our team defense being so dominant.

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2022, 08:32:22 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Of all of those guys, only Rubio and maybe Jones are attainable and only the latter would be worth any pursuit.
Not necessarily.

- It's possible that the Mavs would be interested in a Brunson-Smart swap. Not sure whether I'd pull the trigger, but I wouldn't be against it either. Fwiw, Smart is from Dallas and even has a ''DALLAS'' tattoo on his left hand.

- It's possible the Jazz trade Gobert and rebuild their whole team around Mitchell. If so, Conley doesn't fit Mitchell's time window.

- I'd love us to go after Rubio. We could have a use for his court vision.

Another name that comes to mind is TJ McConnell. Basketball-wise, I reckon he'd be a good fit on the C's. Problem is he's a bit overpaid ($26.1M over 3 years). He's also coming off a wrist surgery, but I'd expect him to be 100% ready for the 2022/23 season. Wouldn't be against swapping Theis for McConnell straight up.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 08:38:44 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2022, 08:55:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Not necessarily.

- It's possible that the Mavs would be interested in a Brunson-Smart swap. Not sure whether I'd pull the trigger, but I wouldn't be against it either. Fwiw, Smart is from Dallas and even has a ''DALLAS'' tattoo on his left hand.

- It's possible the Jazz trade Gobert and rebuild their whole team around Mitchell. If so, Conley doesn't fit Mitchell's time window.

- I'd love us to go after Rubio. We could have a use for his court vision.

Another name that comes to mind is TJ McConnell. Basketball-wise, I reckon he'd be a good fit on the C's. Problem is he's a bit overpaid ($26.1M over 3 years). He's also coming off a wrist surgery, but I'd expect him to be 100% ready for the 2022/23 season. Wouldn't be against swapping Theis for McConnell straight up.
Wouldn’t acquiring Brunson hard cap us?

Maybe about Conley, but we’d likely have to give up a lot due to his contract.

Rubio is coming off an ACL and has been disgustingly inefficient his last two seasons.

I love TJ McConnell. Would add him in a heartbeat