Author Topic: TPE's expiring this summer  (Read 4203 times)

Re: TPE's expiring this summer
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2022, 11:30:16 PM »

Offline ausbacker

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Who are you targeting for:

Evan F TPE of $17.1 million expiring on 8/17/22

Or

Tristan T  TPE of $9.7 million expiring on 7/7/22 (per Spotrac)

Not sure who we can get but a paint presence Center who can back up and on occasion, spot start for Time Lord would be my main priority.

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2022, 11:51:57 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Recycling some names I've mentioned with added rationale.

Targets that I think make some sense for the Celtics, and are at least plausible for the other team depending on how their offseason shakes out:
1. Trailblazers: Josh Hart (2/26 - Player Option Year 2). Hart is one of my sneaky favorite targets for the Cs. I think he'd fit right in like a bigger Derrick White at the 2-4 spots. White, Grant, and Hart off the bench would be beastly and super versatile in my opinion. Now, Portland probably wants to keep him. However, there is a chance they want to go big-game hunting in FA and open up as much cap room as possible. In that case, would Nesmith and a top 3 protected 1st to open up an extra 9 mil in cap space intrigue them?

2. Spurs: Josh Richardson (1/12.2). Nesmith and a 2nd? 2 2nds to open up more cap space for San Antonio? They have a glut of young wings (Vassell / Johnson / Primo / Walker / Langford) they need to develop. I would imagine J-Rich would be attainable.

3. Clippers: Marcus Morris (2/33) or Luke Kennard (3/43 - Team Option Year 3). The Clips are probably all-in with Ballmer's $, but they do have a MASSIVE tax payment coming up and maybe they view one of these guys as superfluous as they are set up to have a wing rotation including Kawhi / PG13 / Norman Powell / Marcus Morris / Robert Covington / Luke Kennard / etc. Would they bite at Nesmith and lotto-protected 1st (that they could re-purpose at the deadline as necessary) for Morris? Would they deal Kennard (who might not even get rotation minutes for them) for just Nesmith without picks attached for the massive savings?

4. Timberwolves: Malik Beasley (2/31 - Team Option Year 2). Beasley's name was floated at the deadline. Not sure if there's a match here. Nesmith and 2 2nds? I don't know if I would extend to include a lotto-protect 1st, and the Wolves would probably want one.

5. Hornets: Kelly Oubre (1/12.6). Nesmith and a 2nd? Not sure what Charlotte is going to do this summer. Feels like they are going to have a pretty severe roster shake-up one way or another as they try to get a starting C and re-center their roster around Ball and Bridges as opposed to Rozier and Hayward.

Unrealistic Long Shot:
6. Magic: Wendell Carter Jr. (4/50). Why would the Magic trade a good, young player that they just extended? They probably won't. But, they do have the first pick in a draft with 3 "bigs" as the top prospects. Maybe they want to go max cap space and try to lure LaVine or someone to Orlando. Anyways, could there be a scenario where they are willing to move Carter for say 2 lightly protected first round picks? Just spit-balling.

Names that probably don't make sense for the Celtics, but appear readily available:
7. Pistons: Kelly Olynyk (2/25). I don't think there's really a match here since we re-acquired Theis, but I included him just because he's a solid rotation player that can probably be had for cheap (TPE and a 2nd?).

8. Suns: Dario Saric (1/9.3). Similar to Olynyk. We probably don't need him since we already got Theis, but I'd bet he's very attainable as things are about to get expensive in Phoenix and Sarver is a cheapskate.

Lol Nesmith is getting torn into 10 pieces here

Ha. Sorry Nesmith. I actually like him too and haven’t given up hope he can be a rotation guy. But, he’s our only current non-rotation guy that might have any marginal value to pair with picks, so he gets tossed into every idea.

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2022, 12:01:30 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I’ll repeat my Josh Richardson + Jeff Green suggestion.

I believe the Celtics have wait a year from the trade in order to reaquire him.

I thought that was the rule, but Larry Coon’s FAQ says it’s not the case:

A team cannot reacquire a player it traded away during the same season (a season for this purpose being defined as starting on the first day of the regular season and ending on the last day of the Finals). If the player was traded between seasons (i.e., from the first day after the Finals to the last day prior to the start of the next regular season), it cannot reacquire the player prior to the end of the next season. If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first6. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, it can reacquire the player during the same season.

I don't understand which provision you're referring to that we could reaquire Richardson.

I guess it's this statement. "However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, it can reacquire the player during the same season."

Did we trade JR'S draft rights or the player? Are they the same thing?

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2022, 06:18:52 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

A team cannot reacquire a player it traded away during the same season (a season for this purpose being defined as starting on the first day of the regular season and ending on the last day of the Finals). If the player was traded between seasons (i.e., from the first day after the Finals to the last day prior to the start of the next regular season), it cannot reacquire the player prior to the end of the next season. If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first6. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, it can reacquire the player during the same season.

I don't understand which provision you're referring to that we could reaquire Richardson.

I guess it's this statement. "However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, it can reacquire the player during the same season."

The bolded is quite clear.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2022, 06:23:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The bolded is quite clear.

Yeah.  In other words, we can’t re-acquire Richardson this season, but we can trade for him next season, as soon as the new league year flips over.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2022, 08:01:19 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Get Jalen Smith..he fit right in beside TimeLord
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2022, 08:04:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Get Jalen Smith..he fit right in beside TimeLord

His name comes up a lot.  He's not really relevant to the TPE, because we're very unlikely to complete a sign and trade.  That's because 1) a sign-and-trade would hard cap us, and 2) the most Indy can offer Smith is around $4 - $4.5 million, which is less than the MLE.

If we want Smith, we'd have to try to sign him outright, rather than via trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2022, 09:51:42 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

As frustrating as Jeff was in Green, I'd love to have him back. His game has aged well, and he's well suited in his current roles.

Still can't believe he is 35yo, time flies...

I haven't studied our options yet, but going after him seems worthwhile.

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
ideally, would like to get Richardson back.  Jeff Green is too inconsistent for my liking but he's much better than the end of bench filler we currently have.  if we can finagle the acquisition of Jalen Smith too, that'd be one hell of an offseason by Brad.  that's not even including if Nesmith makes improvements to be a contributing rotation quality player

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2022, 10:15:53 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
No thanks to Jeff Green. Didn’t play hard the first time in Boston.

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2022, 10:26:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
No thanks to Jeff Green. Didn’t play hard the first time in Boston.

He's played quite well in Brooklyn and Denver the past two seasons, and who can forget him being a Celtics killer in 2018?  I don't care so much about his perceived lack of effort in 2014 and 2015, when he was averaging 17 ppg but subject to unrealistic expectations.  It's a "what have you done lately" league, and lately, Green has been a really good contributor on bargain contracts.

2021:  11.0 ppg, 3.9 rebounds, 1.6 assists, .590 eFG% in 68 games (38 starts)

2022:  10.3 ppg, 3.1 rebounds, 1.3 assists, .574 eFG% in 75 games (63 starts)

He's a PF / C at this stage of his career, and in a backup role he'd do well for us.

A bench with:

C: Theis / Green
PF: Grant
SF: Richardson / Nesmith
SG: White
PG: Pritchard

That's potentially pretty special.

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2022, 10:35:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I wouldn't make any short term moves for real value, I'd be looking at a long term PF or guys basically being given away for the bench.  I wouldn't give up a real asset for an older (i.e. not long term) bench player.  So guys like Richardson I'd take back, but not at the expense of Nesmith or a 1st.  A 2nd or two and cap relief, sure. 

As I've said elsewhere, Wood would be my main target.  I think he'd be a great long term next to Rob where they could play together or as the center without the other.  Offensively, does what Horford does.  Isn't the defender, but athletic and long enough I think he'd be ok at it. 

I'd try something like Wood for Nesmith, 23 1st, 25 1st (lotto).  See if that could get it done.  I'd probably do more if needed, but there isn't a whole lot more Boston can actually offer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2022, 10:48:59 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I wouldn't make any short term moves for real value, I'd be looking at a long term PF or guys basically being given away for the bench.  I wouldn't give up a real asset for an older (i.e. not long term) bench player.  So guys like Richardson I'd take back, but not at the expense of Nesmith or a 1st.  A 2nd or two and cap relief, sure. 

As I've said elsewhere, Wood would be my main target.  I think he'd be a great long term next to Rob where they could play together or as the center without the other.  Offensively, does what Horford does.  Isn't the defender, but athletic and long enough I think he'd be ok at it. 

I'd try something like Wood for Nesmith, 23 1st, 25 1st (lotto).  See if that could get it done.  I'd probably do more if needed, but there isn't a whole lot more Boston can actually offer.

I agree, you can't give up real value for a guy like Richardson or Green.  Seconds, cash, maybe one of the overseas guys.  But not 1sts or Nesmith. 

Wood is interesting.  Good production, good contract.  I just worry about 1) his attitude, and 2) his defense.

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2022, 11:18:35 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67

I agree, you can't give up real value for a guy like Richardson or Green.  Seconds, cash, maybe one of the overseas guys.  But not 1sts or Nesmith. 

Wood is interesting.  Good production, good contract.  I just worry about 1) his attitude, and 2) his defense.

Wood's skillset is interesting, but I have the same concerns. As far as legitimate Horford replacements as a future starting 4, the only players I could see that MIGHT be available for several picks depending on what their teams do in the offseason are Wendell Carter Jr. (who fits in the TPE) or maybe John Collins (who would necessitate salary matching).

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2022, 12:29:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I'm not super worried about his attitude.  He hasn't shown much defensively, but he is athletic enough to at least be decent, if not good, at it.  There just aren't very many 18/10 players out there, and even fewer that hit 39% from 3 on 5 attempts a game.  Ok enough passer as well at 2.3 apg last year. He doesn't really turn it over and he actually is pretty good at generating fouls (.378 FTr last year and .389 for his career - be by far the best on the team if we acquired him).  He is also presumably available and fits into the Fournier TPE.   

We can't feasibly take back Gordon, which would be the only other real value selling point we could offer for Houston (Theis, Nesmith, and Grant is technically enough salary, I just wouldn't want to do that) and I wouldn't really want to give up Pritchard (and wouldn't give up Grant), so it is hard to get more value than Nesmith, 23 1st, 25 1st, but I'd absolutely want to explore it and see if that is enough. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip