Author Topic: TPE's expiring this summer  (Read 4203 times)

TPE's expiring this summer
« on: May 26, 2022, 02:46:36 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Who are you targeting for:

Evan F TPE of $17.1 million expiring on 8/17/22

Or

Tristan T  TPE of $9.7 million expiring on 7/7/22 (per Spotrac)

Re: TPE's expiring this summer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 05:26:42 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
A center like JaVale McGee. He's not available. 2nd-3rd tier impact player.

An aging shooter guard like Kyle Lowry. (Not him) Josh R. would have been ideal.

Joe Engles type shooting forward.

An defensive athlete like Matisse Thybulle to defend the 3 point line.

I don't know the players in the League that well or their contract status. Thus, I can't say who in particular Brad should target.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 05:50:05 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
There are some interesting free agents out there this summer (Otto Porter Jr), but since the C's have no cap space, they can only get a free agent thru a sign and trade deal - and then things get tricky real fast because any sign and trade hard caps us at about $153.5 next season.

And now that the championship window has opened, I was hoping the owners wallets would open as well - beyond $153 million!

So free agents maybe off the table this summer - unless I am missing something.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 06:06:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Kyle Kuzma or Malik Beasley would be very interesting options for me with the big TPE. Not sure what it would take to lure them away. Jakob Poeltl would also be a really interesting choice as he's huge, really strong on defence, good at rebounding and a good passer. Could be in play if San Antonio make a play at Ayton.

I have always, and will forever, pine for Mason Plumlee.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 06:24:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Doubt we could use the TPE to get him, as Miami would not agree to a trade, but I am intrigued by Victor Oladipo.  He has recovered finally from the injury and I expect a good season from him next season. He will be UFA this summer, wonder what the Heat will offer him.  Could we get him with MLE?

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 06:27:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think we have to start thinking of finding a Horford replacement with these TPEs this summer if possible. I love Al, he's been a major factor in our success, and I think he's good for one more year, but he's not going to be able to do this forever.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2022, 06:29:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’ll repeat my Josh Richardson + Jeff Green suggestion.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 06:34:37 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Jalen Smith would be a nice young big to target. The Celtics had interest in him last summer too.

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 06:54:39 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Jalen Smith would be a nice young big to target. The Celtics had interest in him last summer too.
Jalen Smith is my favorite.
But he he is an UFA, best targeted with the TP-MLE (or some portion)
A sign and trade with IND would not be good, IMHO.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2022, 08:19:06 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
Recycling some names I've mentioned with added rationale.

Targets that I think make some sense for the Celtics, and are at least plausible for the other team depending on how their offseason shakes out:
1. Trailblazers: Josh Hart (2/26 - Player Option Year 2). Hart is one of my sneaky favorite targets for the Cs. I think he'd fit right in like a bigger Derrick White at the 2-4 spots. White, Grant, and Hart off the bench would be beastly and super versatile in my opinion. Now, Portland probably wants to keep him. However, there is a chance they want to go big-game hunting in FA and open up as much cap room as possible. In that case, would Nesmith and a top 3 protected 1st to open up an extra 9 mil in cap space intrigue them?

2. Spurs: Josh Richardson (1/12.2). Nesmith and a 2nd? 2 2nds to open up more cap space for San Antonio? They have a glut of young wings (Vassell / Johnson / Primo / Walker / Langford) they need to develop. I would imagine J-Rich would be attainable.

3. Clippers: Marcus Morris (2/33) or Luke Kennard (3/43 - Team Option Year 3). The Clips are probably all-in with Ballmer's $, but they do have a MASSIVE tax payment coming up and maybe they view one of these guys as superfluous as they are set up to have a wing rotation including Kawhi / PG13 / Norman Powell / Marcus Morris / Robert Covington / Luke Kennard / etc. Would they bite at Nesmith and lotto-protected 1st (that they could re-purpose at the deadline as necessary) for Morris? Would they deal Kennard (who might not even get rotation minutes for them) for just Nesmith without picks attached for the massive savings?

4. Timberwolves: Malik Beasley (2/31 - Team Option Year 2). Beasley's name was floated at the deadline. Not sure if there's a match here. Nesmith and 2 2nds? I don't know if I would extend to include a lotto-protect 1st, and the Wolves would probably want one.

5. Hornets: Kelly Oubre (1/12.6). Nesmith and a 2nd? Not sure what Charlotte is going to do this summer. Feels like they are going to have a pretty severe roster shake-up one way or another as they try to get a starting C and re-center their roster around Ball and Bridges as opposed to Rozier and Hayward.

Unrealistic Long Shot:
6. Magic: Wendell Carter Jr. (4/50). Why would the Magic trade a good, young player that they just extended? They probably won't. But, they do have the first pick in a draft with 3 "bigs" as the top prospects. Maybe they want to go max cap space and try to lure LaVine or someone to Orlando. Anyways, could there be a scenario where they are willing to move Carter for say 2 lightly protected first round picks? Just spit-balling.

Names that probably don't make sense for the Celtics, but appear readily available:
7. Pistons: Kelly Olynyk (2/25). I don't think there's really a match here since we re-acquired Theis, but I included him just because he's a solid rotation player that can probably be had for cheap (TPE and a 2nd?).

8. Suns: Dario Saric (1/9.3). Similar to Olynyk. We probably don't need him since we already got Theis, but I'd bet he's very attainable as things are about to get expensive in Phoenix and Sarver is a cheapskate.

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2022, 09:39:49 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

I believe the Celtics have wait a year from the trade in order to reaquire him.

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2022, 10:12:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I believe the Celtics have wait a year from the trade in order to reaquire him.

I thought that was the rule, but Larry Coon’s FAQ says it’s not the case:

A team cannot reacquire a player it traded away during the same season (a season for this purpose being defined as starting on the first day of the regular season and ending on the last day of the Finals). If the player was traded between seasons (i.e., from the first day after the Finals to the last day prior to the start of the next regular season), it cannot reacquire the player prior to the end of the next season. If he is waived by his new team, then he cannot re-sign with his original team until the one-year anniversary of the trade, or until the July 1 following the end of his contract, whichever comes first6. However, if a team trades a player's draft rights, it can reacquire the player during the same season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2022, 10:14:46 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Targets that I think make some sense for the Celtics, and are at least plausible for the other team depending on how their offseason shakes out:
1. Trailblazers: Josh Hart (2/26 - Player Option Year 2). Hart is one of my sneaky favorite targets for the Cs. I think he'd fit right in like a bigger Derrick White at the 2-4 spots. White, Grant, and Hart off the bench would be beastly and super versatile in my opinion. Now, Portland probably wants to keep him. However, there is a chance they want to go big-game hunting in FA and open up as much cap room as possible. In that case, would Nesmith and a top 3 protected 1st to open up an extra 9 mil in cap space intrigue them?

2. Spurs: Josh Richardson (1/12.2). Nesmith and a 2nd? 2 2nds to open up more cap space for San Antonio? They have a glut of young wings (Vassell / Johnson / Primo / Walker / Langford) they need to develop. I would imagine J-Rich would be attainable.

3. Clippers: Marcus Morris (2/33) or Luke Kennard (3/43 - Team Option Year 3). The Clips are probably all-in with Ballmer's $, but they do have a MASSIVE tax payment coming up and maybe they view one of these guys as superfluous as they are set up to have a wing rotation including Kawhi / PG13 / Norman Powell / Marcus Morris / Robert Covington / Luke Kennard / etc. Would they bite at Nesmith and lotto-protected 1st (that they could re-purpose at the deadline as necessary) for Morris? Would they deal Kennard (who might not even get rotation minutes for them) for just Nesmith without picks attached for the massive savings?

4. Timberwolves: Malik Beasley (2/31 - Team Option Year 2). Beasley's name was floated at the deadline. Not sure if there's a match here. Nesmith and 2 2nds? I don't know if I would extend to include a lotto-protect 1st, and the Wolves would probably want one.

5. Hornets: Kelly Oubre (1/12.6). Nesmith and a 2nd? Not sure what Charlotte is going to do this summer. Feels like they are going to have a pretty severe roster shake-up one way or another as they try to get a starting C and re-center their roster around Ball and Bridges as opposed to Rozier and Hayward.

Unrealistic Long Shot:
6. Magic: Wendell Carter Jr. (4/50). Why would the Magic trade a good, young player that they just extended? They probably won't. But, they do have the first pick in a draft with 3 "bigs" as the top prospects. Maybe they want to go max cap space and try to lure LaVine or someone to Orlando. Anyways, could there be a scenario where they are willing to move Carter for say 2 lightly protected first round picks? Just spit-balling.

Names that probably don't make sense for the Celtics, but appear readily available:
7. Pistons: Kelly Olynyk (2/25). I don't think there's really a match here since we re-acquired Theis, but I included him just because he's a solid rotation player that can probably be had for cheap (TPE and a 2nd?).

8. Suns: Dario Saric (1/9.3). Similar to Olynyk. We probably don't need him since we already got Theis, but I'd bet he's very attainable as things are about to get expensive in Phoenix and Sarver is a cheapskate.

Saric would be nice off the bench if he has recovered sufficiently from his acl tear.

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2022, 10:17:39 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Unrealistic Long Shot:

Lol Nesmith is getting torn into 10 pieces here

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2022, 10:58:39 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton

Unrealistic Long Shot:

Lol Nesmith is getting torn into 10 pieces here

I partly blame Ime for Nesmith's troubles. He has him hanging around the 3-point line almost all the time. Nesmith ends up trying too hard to make 3's.

Instead, he should let him freelance and take whatever shot comes up. His dependence on the 3-ball is killing him.