Author Topic: Celtics/Hawks supposedly discussed deal for Smart  (Read 4746 times)

Celtics/Hawks supposedly discussed deal for Smart
« on: January 27, 2022, 11:45:22 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Take it with a grain of salt but it sounds like the Hawks wanted Smart for Reddish and Huerter. I am guessing Stevens said no way.

Thoughts?

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/01/easter-trade-rumors-smart-hawks-collins-siakam-sabonis-more.html

Now, I wonder if that means Smart is on the block or other's are simply kicking the tires. It would take a lot for me to approve of releasing Smart to another team. He has so many qualities that are necessary for a tough team come playoff time.

Re: Celtics/Hawks supposedly discussed deal for Smart
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 11:51:14 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I'm sure there's a lot of interest in Smart around the league but you can't trade him unless you are trading up including picks and other players to get a 3rd option behind Tatam and Brown.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 11:51:20 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
If Stevens is the one that said no to that trade then he has no business running a team.

Unfortunately the only place where Boston gets rid of Smarts bloated contract while acquiring two good young players is in a dream.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 11:59:04 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
My favorite part of that article was this nugget:

Semi Ojeleye is considered to be available and Milwaukee has received inquiries about Pat Connaughton and Donte DiVincenzo, Fischer adds.

A minimum-salary player who’s out of the rotation and is shooting 23%!! from the floor (not just from 3) is available?  You don’t say!

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 12:00:22 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Why would Boston not do that?  Get a look at Reddish and basically replace Smart with Huerter.  Plus would have probably gotten Hill.  Would have had to cut 2 players, but given Fernando, Bol, and Dozier are all basically worthless to this season, it isn't like there aren't options (plus you could always cut Hill).  Boston probably pays the tax and would leave itself weak at PG, but that is clearly a trade that would have benefitted Boston long term.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 12:05:25 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Dang if it’s true, Stevens blew it! Reddish & Huerter would be great additions
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 12:07:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Why would Boston not do that?  Get a look at Reddish and basically replace Smart with Huerter.  Plus would have probably gotten Hill.  Would have had to cut 2 players, but given Fernando, Bol, and Dozier are all basically worthless to this season, it isn't like there aren't options (plus you could always cut Hill).  Boston probably pays the tax and would leave itself weak at PG, but that is clearly a trade that would have benefitted Boston long term.

You don't want to be trading the best player in the trade. As much as Smart frustrates me he's the best player in that trade. We need to be the ones sending out two or three lesser players for the best player in the deal.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 12:07:56 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Heck Horford & Smart for Collins, Reddish & Huerter would been fantastic.. probably picks & lesser players involved
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 12:12:36 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

You don't want to be trading the best player in the trade. As much as Smart frustrates me he's the best player in that trade. We need to be the ones sending out two or three lesser players for the best player in the deal.
Is he better than Huerter?  If so, only slightly.  Huerter is much younger though and a better fit long term because of his far superior shooting
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 12:14:20 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I like Reddish a lot as a player.  But the Hawks have played a ton better since they shipped him out.  Could be coincidence, but I’m open to the possibility he was part of the problem in Atlanta, and might not have been part of the solution here.  He’s very talented. He’s been a questionable teammate going back to his season at Duke.  I also like Huerter, but not as much as Smart for this year’s team.  Udoka would’ve had to run a lot more point-Tatum lineups, and that’s not great for him or the team.

I probably could’ve gotten behind this deal, but it’s not one going to lose sleep over.  I’ll believe this rumor because it seems like a reasonable trade proposal, and we know Atlanta really wanted to move off of Reddish.  I think I’d like it more as a 3-way deal where Reddish goes to NY so the C’s wind up with Huerter and a pick (and expirings).

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 12:22:20 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Take it with a grain of salt but it sounds like the Hawks wanted Smart for Reddish and Huerter. I am guessing Stevens said no way.

Thoughts?

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/01/easter-trade-rumors-smart-hawks-collins-siakam-sabonis-more.html

Now, I wonder if that means Smart is on the block or other's are simply kicking the tires. It would take a lot for me to approve of releasing Smart to another team. He has so many qualities that are necessary for a tough team come playoff time.

Can’t be true ,  it’s too good to be true …….there is no Santa

I d drove him to Atlanta if that deal is offered .

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 12:28:46 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
(click on image to enlarge)

It also works with Hunter instead of Okongwu.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 12:33:07 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
(click on image to enlarge)

It also works with Hunter instead of Okongwu.

And neither make sense if you’re actually trying to win.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2022, 12:36:58 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
My reaction:

1) Good. Stevens should be kicking tires on any / all Smart deals;

2) Don't love that deal. I hope Stevens can find a more creative, compelling deal that Reddish and Heurter for Smart.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 12:47:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would rather have Smart.  Maybe something like this in the off season, maybe.  Depends on how other parts of the team change.  I would not do the trade at this point.