Author Topic: Rumor: Theis, Theis (Back) Baby?  (Read 5941 times)

Re: Rumour: Theis, Theis (Back) Baby?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 05:36:24 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I always liked Theis.  If nothing else, Theis was consistent -- in his game, in his effort.  Good backup. 

To those who can analyze better than me (which is all of you), what do you think of a center rotation next year that includes Rob, Daniel, and Bol?   What value (or potential) does Bol Bol have as a backup or 3rd string 5 moving forward?

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 05:43:25 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I always liked Theis.  If nothing else, Theis was consistent -- in his game, in his effort.  Good backup. 

To those who can analyze better than me (which is all of you), what do you think of a center rotation next year that includes Rob, Daniel, and Bol?   What value (or potential) does Bol Bol have as a backup or 3rd string 5 moving forward?

I think if Theis is on the team, he plays next to Rob for at least some of the minutes, similar to Horford.  I don’t think Bol has shown anything that would make you want him to have much more than a Bruno Fernando role.  So if the Celtics wanted to play Theis and Rob together, and hide Bol at least in the beginning of the season until he’d hopefully earned real playing time, they’d probably want to get a vet center at the minimum in addition, like the role Freedom is occupying.

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 09:08:21 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
The Rockets are a bad team with a lot of young guys figuring out the NBA (and that's fine!). I wouldn't take too much from their advanced stats
Doesn't seem to bothering Garrison Matthews.

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 09:21:50 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I'd love Theis as a backup center. He would be one of the best in the league.

No interest in Bol. He is not an NBA caliber player at this point in his career and may never be. What we in Denver was clear -- he cannot be depended on for any minutes on a contender because he is too flawed a player (stick thin, terrible defender).

What Bol needs is to be on a terrible team that doesn't care about winning where he can get minutes and try to develop that way. He might become an NBA player if he gets that type of opportunity. He might also become an NBA caliber player if he can develop his body / physicality but he has shown no signs of being able to do so to date.

I have no expectations -- zero -- of Bol being a useful player for us next season. He needs to be dumped. Waste of a roster spot like Bruno Fernando has been this year.

We need a legitimate 3rd string center and we probably always will with Rob Williams given his propensity to get hurt. That is an important position because it will often be asked to play. More so than other 3rd string options. We need legit NBA guys there. Not highly flawed undependable projects.

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 09:36:17 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Schröder, Freedom, Dozier and $1 million to buy out Dozier for Theis and Garrison Mathews works

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 10:01:38 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
If we land Theis, he shouldn’t start next to TL. He’s not a 4. I’d rather Grant start and I don’t think he’s starter material on a good team.

Theis would be a good back up 5 though! And at 8.2m, that isn’t so bad. Itd have to make financial sense though for the C’s to make this move
- LilRip

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2022, 02:59:34 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
https://fanspo.com/nba/s/celtics/trades/W7kUyNF2gNVSdS/3-way-bos-sac-hou

Kings Get: Horford, Langford, Bruno, Celts top-5 protected 2022 1st.
Celtics Get: Harrison Barnes, Daniel Theis, Armoni Brooks
Rockets Get: Marvin Bagley

Kings buy out Horford. He has the partial guarantee on next year. They get Langford and the Celtics lightly protected (top 5) 1st rounder for Harrison Barnes.

The Rockets turn their longer term Theis contract into an expiring flyer on I Bagley. They can look at him for a few months and see if he’s worth trying to re-sign as a 2nd draft guy in the offseason.

Celtics shave 2.5 mil off their books (helping them duck the tax), get a 5th starter in Barnes that fits well around their top 4 players, and add Theis as a backup big at the 4/5 who has been a successful role player in Boston in the past.

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2022, 03:13:01 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Kings buy out Horford. He has the partial guarantee on next year. They get Langford and the Celtics lightly protected (top 5) 1st rounder for Harrison Barnes.

The Rockets turn their longer term Theis contract into an expiring flyer on I Bagley. They can look at him for a few months and see if he’s worth trying to re-sign as a 2nd draft guy in the offseason.

Celtics shave 2.5 mil off their books (helping them duck the tax), get a 5th starter in Barnes that fits well around their top 4 players, and add Theis as a backup big at the 4/5 who has been a successful role player in Boston in the past.

I like that trade a lot.

I really like how well Horford has done in the past against Embiid and Giannis, which is why I think we should keep him for the playoffs. But Theis is a solid backup and Barnes gives a bit more flexibility.

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2022, 12:17:08 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
The Rockets are a bad team with a lot of young guys figuring out the NBA (and that's fine!). I wouldn't take too much from their advanced stats
Doesn't seem to bothering Garrison Matthews.

Alright? Either Theis fell off a cliff at the age of 29, or he's largely the same guy he was the last few years on a team he's a poor fit for.

For better or worse, the list of essentially-free veteran backups that Boston could pivot to if Horford were is essentially Theis, Derrick Favors, or Robin Lopez. Add Olynyk and Montrezl Harrell if you're willing to throw in something.

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2022, 07:44:25 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I posted this in the Gordon thread but an idea could be

Horford and Langford
for
Theis and Gordon

That seems reasonable.  Theis never played well as a starting PF (not that Horford does either) and Gordon would come off the bench.  We would have a very good second unit though, that is for sure:

Smart         Schroder
Brown         Gordon
Tatum         Richardson
Theis          GWilliams
RWilliams    Freedom

In the end, they probably don't want to carry Gordon's salary into next season (2023-24 isn't guaranteed though) but I think this would make us better.  I think we do save money this season also and end up under the tax by $4M'ish.  Gordon has gone from 7-8 3PA per game to around 5.  Better shot selection I guess and the make % reflects it (44% on 3s this season so far vs. career 37%).

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2022, 07:46:07 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I would support this trade because Barnes is a pretty good player who could take some pressure off JT/JB on the offensive end.  Unpacking it a bit:
- Horford/Theis is sort of a wash.  Trading away some defense for a bit better offense, but only because Horford's shot has strangely disappeared.
- Trading away a 1st rounder (ouch) plus 2 young players (Langford, Bruno) for one (Brooks) so C's lose a fair amount of pipeline youth, but it does open up some PT for Nesmith. 
- Takes care of the upcoming Langford contract decision and exchanges him for a vet who can shoot.
- Not sure Bagley helps the Rockets much, but you never know.  Maybe the guy needs a change of scenery.
- Kings get a mid-1st rounder for Bagley which seems fair, but doesn't move the needle much for them.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 07:53:27 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2022, 09:00:28 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I would support this trade because Barnes is a pretty good player who could take some pressure off JT/JB on the offensive end.  Unpacking it a bit:
- Horford/Theis is sort of a wash.  Trading away some defense for a bit better offense, but only because Horford's shot has strangely disappeared.
- Trading away a 1st rounder (ouch) plus 2 young players (Langford, Bruno) for one (Brooks) so C's lose a fair amount of pipeline youth, but it does open up some PT for Nesmith. 
- Takes care of the upcoming Langford contract decision and exchanges him for a vet who can shoot.
- Not sure Bagley helps the Rockets much, but you never know.  Maybe the guy needs a change of scenery.
- Kings get a mid-1st rounder for Bagley which seems fair, but doesn't move the needle much for them.

So if the 1st RND pick is getting us Bagley, which we are flipping to Houston for Theis and Brooks (not sure why we would do that), that leaves SAC giving up Barnes for Horford, Langford, and Bruno.  I don't know why SAC would do that.

Now if you want to consider trading a pick for Bagley, that part seems reasonable.  We have TPE to fit him into if we want.  I don't prefer Theis and Brooks to Bagley but that does seem like a good trade for Houston.

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2022, 09:53:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Schröder, Freedom, Dozier and $1 million to buy out Dozier for Theis and Garrison Mathews works
other than clearing salary, I don't see why Houston does that.  would think they'd want something tangible of value at least.

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2022, 09:56:20 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

So if the 1st RND pick is getting us Bagley, which we are flipping to Houston for Theis and Brooks (not sure why we would do that), that leaves SAC giving up Barnes for Horford, Langford, and Bruno.  I don't know why SAC would do that.

Now if you want to consider trading a pick for Bagley, that part seems reasonable.  We have TPE to fit him into if we want.  I don't prefer Theis and Brooks to Bagley but that does seem like a good trade for Houston.
not a big fan of Bagley but if we're giving up Horford, Langford and a first, I'd want the C's to be the ones to get a look at Bagley.  Houston giving up just Theis and Brooks shouldn't net them Bagley. 

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2022, 10:58:34 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

not a big fan of Bagley but if we're giving up Horford, Langford and a first, I'd want the C's to be the ones to get a look at Bagley.  Houston giving up just Theis and Brooks shouldn't net them Bagley.
I prefer Barnes to Bagley who never seemed like he reached his potential which was supposed to be sky-high.