Author Topic: Rumor: Theis, Theis (Back) Baby?  (Read 6053 times)

Re: Rumour: Theis, Theis (Back) Baby?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2022, 11:14:11 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Marrying the same wife twice? No thank you

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2022, 11:28:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
https://fanspo.com/nba/s/celtics/trades/W7kUyNF2gNVSdS/3-way-bos-sac-hou

Kings Get: Horford, Langford, Bruno, Celts top-5 protected 2022 1st.
Celtics Get: Harrison Barnes, Daniel Theis, Armoni Brooks
Rockets Get: Marvin Bagley

Kings buy out Horford. He has the partial guarantee on next year. They get Langford and the Celtics lightly protected (top 5) 1st rounder for Harrison Barnes.

The Rockets turn their longer term Theis contract into an expiring flyer on I Bagley. They can look at him for a few months and see if he’s worth trying to re-sign as a 2nd draft guy in the offseason.

Celtics shave 2.5 mil off their books (helping them duck the tax), get a 5th starter in Barnes that fits well around their top 4 players, and add Theis as a backup big at the 4/5 who has been a successful role player in Boston in the past.
I would support this trade because Barnes is a pretty good player who could take some pressure off JT/JB on the offensive end.  Unpacking it a bit:
- Horford/Theis is sort of a wash.  Trading away some defense for a bit better offense, but only because Horford's shot has strangely disappeared.
- Trading away a 1st rounder (ouch) plus 2 young players (Langford, Bruno) for one (Brooks) so C's lose a fair amount of pipeline youth, but it does open up some PT for Nesmith. 
- Takes care of the upcoming Langford contract decision and exchanges him for a vet who can shoot.
- Not sure Bagley helps the Rockets much, but you never know.  Maybe the guy needs a change of scenery.
- Kings get a mid-1st rounder for Bagley which seems fair, but doesn't move the needle much for them.

So if the 1st RND pick is getting us Bagley, which we are flipping to Houston for Theis and Brooks (not sure why we would do that), that leaves SAC giving up Barnes for Horford, Langford, and Bruno.  I don't know why SAC would do that.

Now if you want to consider trading a pick for Bagley, that part seems reasonable.  We have TPE to fit him into if we want.  I don't prefer Theis and Brooks to Bagley but that does seem like a good trade for Houston.
not a big fan of Bagley but if we're giving up Horford, Langford and a first, I'd want the C's to be the ones to get a look at Bagley.  Houston giving up just Theis and Brooks shouldn't net them Bagley.
I prefer Barnes to Bagley who never seemed like he reached his potential which was supposed to be sky-high.
I meant that I wanted both

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2022, 11:43:26 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I prefer Barnes to Bagley who never seemed like he reached his potential which was supposed to be sky-high.

Sure but it will take something real in a trade to get Barnes (More than Horford, Langford, Bruno).  Bagley we can get "a look at" for a protected first or less.  The point is that Bagley is preferred over Theis and Brooks.  I would see no reason to give up a first for Theis and/or Brooks.

If SAC does trade Barnes, I doubt it will be to the Celtics.

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2022, 12:04:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
https://fanspo.com/nba/s/celtics/trades/W7kUyNF2gNVSdS/3-way-bos-sac-hou

Kings Get: Horford, Langford, Bruno, Celts top-5 protected 2022 1st.
Celtics Get: Harrison Barnes, Daniel Theis, Armoni Brooks
Rockets Get: Marvin Bagley

Kings buy out Horford. He has the partial guarantee on next year. They get Langford and the Celtics lightly protected (top 5) 1st rounder for Harrison Barnes.

The Rockets turn their longer term Theis contract into an expiring flyer on I Bagley. They can look at him for a few months and see if he’s worth trying to re-sign as a 2nd draft guy in the offseason.

Celtics shave 2.5 mil off their books (helping them duck the tax), get a 5th starter in Barnes that fits well around their top 4 players, and add Theis as a backup big at the 4/5 who has been a successful role player in Boston in the past.
I would support this trade because Barnes is a pretty good player who could take some pressure off JT/JB on the offensive end.  Unpacking it a bit:
- Horford/Theis is sort of a wash.  Trading away some defense for a bit better offense, but only because Horford's shot has strangely disappeared.
- Trading away a 1st rounder (ouch) plus 2 young players (Langford, Bruno) for one (Brooks) so C's lose a fair amount of pipeline youth, but it does open up some PT for Nesmith. 
- Takes care of the upcoming Langford contract decision and exchanges him for a vet who can shoot.
- Not sure Bagley helps the Rockets much, but you never know.  Maybe the guy needs a change of scenery.
- Kings get a mid-1st rounder for Bagley which seems fair, but doesn't move the needle much for them.

So if the 1st RND pick is getting us Bagley, which we are flipping to Houston for Theis and Brooks (not sure why we would do that), that leaves SAC giving up Barnes for Horford, Langford, and Bruno.  I don't know why SAC would do that.

Now if you want to consider trading a pick for Bagley, that part seems reasonable.  We have TPE to fit him into if we want.  I don't prefer Theis and Brooks to Bagley but that does seem like a good trade for Houston.
not a big fan of Bagley but if we're giving up Horford, Langford and a first, I'd want the C's to be the ones to get a look at Bagley.  Houston giving up just Theis and Brooks shouldn't net them Bagley.
I meant that I wanted both
Yeah, why include Houston.  Just take Bagley and let them keep Theis and Brooks.  There is no reason for that trade.  Bagley makes way more sense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2022, 03:58:55 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Theis, Theis…(back) baby!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 04:07:04 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2022, 04:33:34 PM »

Kiorrik

I'm kinda hoping he posts something on his socials soon.

Or maybe we'll hear something in an interview in the next few days?

Keen to hear his thoughts :D

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2022, 04:35:07 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I'm kinda hoping he posts something on his socials soon.

Or maybe we'll hear something in an interview in the next few days?

Keen to hear his thoughts :D

I imagine we'll hear from him once the trade is official, which is typically after he passes a physical.