Author Topic: Trade Idea: Eric Gordon  (Read 2748 times)

Re: Trade Idea: Eric Gordon
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2022, 09:42:15 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Why would Boston want Eric Gordon?

Because he’s shooting 44.5% from 3 on 5 attempts a game, and is a capable passer, two things that the Celtics have need for in the rotation.
He makes a lot of money, is old, and doesn't elevate Boston's title chances.  Good way to hamstring future flexibility on a player that adds very little especially since he plays no defense.  There also aren't a ton of minutes available for him to play.  I just don't see the point.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is suggesting to give up real assets for Gordon, but in this deal it's basically Horford for Gordon. Gordon is less old, less expensive, and arguably more productive than Horford at this stage of their careers. If you're getting Theis back too (who gives you probably 90% of what Horford does at this point), you can make the argument it's worth giving up one of our middling young guys.
I didn't realize the last year on Gordon at 21 million is non-guaranteed.  That isn't as bad then.  So just 18.3 rest of this year and 19.5 next year.  That makes it more palatable, but that is still a pretty big number for a role player/back up on a team that isn't contending and who isn't exactly playing a position of need.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 09:46:28 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
So the idea is:

Horford and Langford
for
Theis and Gordon

That seems reasonable but what does it really get us.  Theis never played well as a starting PF (not that Horford does either) and Gordon would come off the bench.  We would have a decent second unit, that is for sure:

Smart         Schroder
Brown         Gordon
Tatum         Richardson
Theis          GWilliams
RWilliams    Freedom

We would actually save $5.4M this year putting us under the Tax.  We would be better for it.  I think Theis is a tick better than Horford and Gordon off the bench is at least more offense than Langford.  Maybe this actually works

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 10:00:24 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Because he’s shooting 44.5% from 3 on 5 attempts a game, and is a capable passer, two things that the Celtics have need for in the rotation.
He makes a lot of money, is old, and doesn't elevate Boston's title chances.  Good way to hamstring future flexibility on a player that adds very little especially since he plays no defense.  There also aren't a ton of minutes available for him to play.  I just don't see the point.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is suggesting to give up real assets for Gordon, but in this deal it's basically Horford for Gordon. Gordon is less old, less expensive, and arguably more productive than Horford at this stage of their careers. If you're getting Theis back too (who gives you probably 90% of what Horford does at this point), you can make the argument it's worth giving up one of our middling young guys.
I didn't realize the last year on Gordon at 21 million is non-guaranteed.  That isn't as bad then.  So just 18.3 rest of this year and 19.5 next year.  That makes it more palatable, but that is still a pretty big number for a role player/back up on a team that isn't contending and who isn't exactly playing a position of need.

We could've just kept Evan Fournier for that cost.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 10:09:54 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I guess I disagree on this a lot.  We clearly need a bench scoring option who's a threat as a shooter.  Richardson is a fine player, arguably better than Gordon, but he's not someone who you can look to for scoring when your team needs those points.  Gordon can be that guy.  He also is capable of being a secondary shot creator for others, again, not something Richardson has shown he's terribly good at.  Thirdly, we simply need one more player on the bench that Ime can reliably put in without wondering how things are going to go a given evening.  Gordon could make it so that Tatum doesn't have to play 38-40 minutes every time a game is close, thus giving him the energy to finish stronger in the 4th quarter.  We're 9-16 in close games and 3-6 in one score games.  But our net rating is 7th in the NBA, which is a lot closer to contending than being a lottery team.  A guy like Gordon could help a lot on the margins with this team.

Also, next season we have three choices with Al: 1) Stretch him, having about a $5 million unmovable cap hit on the books for three years, 2) Waive him, thus having a $14.5 million hit next year, also unmovable, or 3) keep him for $26.5 million.  It seems to me #3 is highly unlikely.  I think that having Gordon on the roster next year at $19.5 million is better than having a dead cap hit of $14.5 million, so he's superior to #2.  And if we really want the most room under the tax or apron, Gordon at $19.5 million with the following year unguaranteed will be easier to move than Horford, or if we were desperate, as a last resort he'd actually have a smaller hit if stretched, because he can be stretched over 5 years.

It's not a home run trade, but I don't think there's a home run trade out there.  I think it would make the team better over the next two years without closing off any of our longer-term options should a home run present itself.

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 10:11:31 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

We could've just kept Evan Fournier for that cost.

Sure, but Gordon has been better this year than Fournier.

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 10:14:27 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I’d rather keep Nesmith and Horford. Theis is a downgrade over Al in almost every way and Nesmith still has upside. I think he’s going To settle in next season. Plus, Richardson can take all the backup minutes at the 2/3. Eric is not an upgrade over Josh.  He’s been solid all year. Don’t really need Gordon.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 11:02:40 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I’d rather keep Nesmith and Horford. Theis is a downgrade over Al in almost every way and Nesmith still has upside. I think he’s going To settle in next season. Plus, Richardson can take all the backup minutes at the 2/3. Eric is not an upgrade over Josh.  He’s been solid all year. Don’t really need Gordon.

No he can't.  That's why Langford and Nesmith have played more minutes combined than Richardson, because we need one more player at the wing.  And it's those minutes that have really held us back.  We have a functional 8-man rotation.  We need a functional 9-man one.  They've had half a season to show they're ready to be in the rotation, and though both have shown flashes, they aren't ready yet.  Time to get two rotation players for one.

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 11:21:46 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I proposed something similar on Cs Reddit (didn’t get much traction). If that’s the best we can get for Horford, then I don’t see why not. Right now we only have Horford; but we would get a Horford replacement and a productive veteran if we did this deal.

I didn’t have Nesmith, Langford, or any picks going out in the deal, as HOU stands to save quite a bit of money doing this, but I could be persuaded to add something minor to get it done. It would also give us another tradable contract going into the offseason.

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 11:29:26 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Wood and Gordon make more sense.  Salary relief eith AL and a prospect like Nesmith work.  2nds from a Schroeder deal can sweeten the pot.  This would put the cs in contention.  I would still look at Richardson and smart deals if it can bring on a long term piece.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 11:34:44 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Wood and Gordon make more sense.  Salary relief eith AL and a prospect like Nesmith work.  2nds from a Schroeder deal can sweeten the pot.  This would put the cs in contention.  I would still look at Richardson and smart deals if it can bring on a long term piece.

The Rockets aren’t going to trade Wood without getting at least one first in return, likely two or multiple seconds.

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2022, 11:35:23 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

I didn't know the last year was noon guaranteed either. That is a potentially valuable trade chip next season to a team wanting to cut salary.

That said, I'd do Horford for Gordon in a heart beat. It sounds like it would be Horford plus...and I wouldn't send much value back. Maybe a couple 2rds. I'm not crazy about taking Theis back.

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2022, 09:48:35 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
So the idea is:

Horford and Langford
for
Theis and Gordon

That seems reasonable but what does it really get us.  Theis never played well as a starting PF (not that Horford does either) and Gordon would come off the bench.  We would have a decent second unit, that is for sure:

Smart         Schroder
Brown         Gordon
Tatum         Richardson
Theis          G Williams
R Williams   Freedom

We would actually save $5.4M this year putting us under the Tax.  We would be better for it.  I think Theis is a tick better than Horford and Gordon off the bench is at least more offense than Langford.  Maybe this actually works
If we made this trade, I would structure the depth chart a bit differently, putting Gordon in a starting role.  Yes, the bench needs shooting but by adding more shooting to the starters, you take a lot of pressure off JT/JB:

Smart         Schroder (Pritchard)
Gordon       Richardson
Brown        G Williams
Tatum         Theis
R Williams   Freedom

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2022, 10:02:13 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

No he can't.  That's why Langford and Nesmith have played more minutes combined than Richardson, because we need one more player at the wing.  And it's those minutes that have really held us back.  We have a functional 8-man rotation.  We need a functional 9-man one.  They've had half a season to show they're ready to be in the rotation, and though both have shown flashes, they aren't ready yet. Time to get two rotation players for one.

In the playoffs, it will be an eight man rotation. Smart, Brown, Tatum will all be playing 40mins per game. Smart also gets minutes at the 2. Josh can get all of the remaining minutes at the 2/3. If you don’t think the Celtics are making the playoffs, there is no reason to make the trade either.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 10:26:55 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2022, 04:03:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Goes to show how much attention I pay to Houston. Had no idea Gordon was playing so effectively and under control with his shot selection. That’s a totally different player to the inefficient chucker he’s been before. I’d do that.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)