Author Topic: Report: Stephen Breyer to retire from Supreme Court  (Read 1389 times)

Re: Report: Stephen Breyer to retire from Supreme Court
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 06:46:22 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 2143
On another topic related to Breyer's replacement, Biden has indicated that he will nominate a Black woman.  I know many here will object to that type of "litmus test" based on race/gender but I am OK with it.  That said, I think it's unnecessary and not smart for Biden to say it.  He could easily say that he is exploring a number of highly qualified candidates, and then choose a Black woman.

He said it on the campaign trail trying to get endorsements in a tight race with Bernie.  It worked for him, he got some major endorsements to pull out South Carolina and ultimately the nomination and Presidency.  He'll lose a lot of political capital if he doesn't follow through.

I get the initial intent and the need to follow through.  I also understood why he said he'd choose a woman as VP which I also thought was not smart for him to say. I don't think it's certain by any stretch that Clyburn and others only endorsed Biden because of these assurances.  In fact, I think avoiding Bernie as the nominee was essential and people like Clyburn knew it.  Biden has to follow through but he shouldn't have pigeon-holed himself.  In the case of Harris he ended up with a bad choice.  I don't believe he'll make a bad choice this time and I'm glad it's going to be a Black woman -- it's about time!  But I don't think it's something you say regardless of possible political benefits.

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 08:41:24 AM »

Online Moranis

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 1353
On another topic related to Breyer's replacement, Biden has indicated that he will nominate a Black woman.  I know many here will object to that type of "litmus test" based on race/gender but I am OK with it.  That said, I think it's unnecessary and not smart for Biden to say it.  He could easily say that he is exploring a number of highly qualified candidates, and then choose a Black woman.

He said it on the campaign trail trying to get endorsements in a tight race with Bernie.  It worked for him, he got some major endorsements to pull out South Carolina and ultimately the nomination and Presidency.  He'll lose a lot of political capital if he doesn't follow through.

I get the initial intent and the need to follow through.  I also understood why he said he'd choose a woman as VP which I also thought was not smart for him to say. I don't think it's certain by any stretch that Clyburn and others only endorsed Biden because of these assurances.  In fact, I think avoiding Bernie as the nominee was essential and people like Clyburn knew it.  Biden has to follow through but he shouldn't have pigeon-holed himself.  In the case of Harris he ended up with a bad choice.  I don't believe he'll make a bad choice this time and I'm glad it's going to be a Black woman -- it's about time!  But I don't think it's something you say regardless of possible political benefits.
Yeah, but if he looked at candidates and realized he had black woman among the top handful of choices, then why not say it?  It is one thing if you put someone less qualified on the bench, but if your review of candidates told you the most qualified people (or among the most qualified) were black women, then no problem saying it.
2021 Historical Draft - 5th Pick - Raptors
PG - Tiny Archibald 73, Don Buse 77, Terrell Brandon 96
SG - Chet Walker 67, Michael Cooper 87, Raja Bell 06
SF - Predrag "Peja" Stojakovic 04, Kiki Vandeweghe 87, Robert Covington 18
PF - Karl Malone 97, Spencer Haywood 73, David West 08
C - Ben Wallace 04, George Mikan 50, Al Jefferson 08

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 08:45:25 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 323

Yeah, but if he looked at candidates and realized he had black woman among the top handful of choices, then why not say it?  It is one thing if you put someone less qualified on the bench, but if your review of candidates told you the most qualified people (or among the most qualified) were black women, then no problem saying it.

Yes, there’s a reason Ketanji Brown Jackson was quickly nominated to the Court of Appeals once Biden took office.

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 09:06:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -26124
  • Once A CrotoNat, Always A CrotoNat
I hate that we choose people for important positions based upon identity politics. 

That said, Moranis may be correct that Biden knew who he was going to pick when he made the statement.  In that case, he's giving a hint to the media about who is at the top of his list, rather than simply limiting the field of potential nominees by roughly 94%.

Ketanji Brown Jackson is certainly extremely qualified.  Same thing with Leondra Kruger. 

I'm sort of hoping Biden throws a curveball, though, and finds a qualified candidate outside of the Harvard / Yale pipeline.   

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes