Author Topic: Marcus Smart and Larry Bird have something in common...  (Read 1542 times)

Marcus Smart and Larry Bird have something in common...
« on: January 31, 2022, 02:50:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Marcus Smart:

Keith Smith: Marcus Smart was asked if his right hand is sore: “Yeah, it gets like this ever since the picture frame incident. There’s still some glass in there. The doctors said it would cause more issues to take it out, so I still have glass in there. Sometimes I can’t really feel my hand.” 1 day ago – via Twitter KeithSmithNBA

Larry Bird:

“Bird laughs a little bit and holds up his right index finger,” John Papanek recounted in a 1981 Sports Illustrated story. “‘This,’ he says. The finger is shaped much like a boomerang, permanently bent toward his thumb at a 45-degree angle. Two operations have failed to straighten it; he can bend it only halfway to his palm. ‘I didn’t have this in college,’ he says.”

For all of his time on the hardwood, the forward didn’t even sustain the injury playing basketball. Bird bent it trying to field a line drive during a softball game and never straightened the finger again. Despite his eventual NBA success, that fateful finger became a “what-if” about his legendary career.

“How great a baseball player would Mickey Mantle have been if he hadn’t torn up his knee early in his career? One wonders what kind of shooter Bird would be now if he had a straight finger,” Papanek wrote. “‘That’s what Red [Auerbach] was telling me when I was trying to sign,’ Bird says.”

Neither lived up to their full potential as a shooter largely due to an off-court injury, haha.  In fairness to Marcus' stupidity, Larry was equally stupid, reinjuring that finger in the 1985 playoffs during a bar fight.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Marcus Smart and Larry Bird have something in common...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 03:09:53 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I had no idea Smart played with Gordon Hayward in his hand for all these years.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 05:20:29 PM »

Kiorrik

I had no idea Smart played with Gordon Hayward in his hand for all these years.

I read that twice before I facepalmed and reluctantly pressed [giveth one]

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 05:56:38 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I had no idea Smart played with a piece of Gordon Hayward in his hand for all these years.

Now it’s perfect
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 06:26:40 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Is this really a thread comparing Smart and Bird shooting?!?!

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 08:47:52 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
“The doctors said it would cause more issues to take it out, so I still have glass in there. Sometimes I can’t really feel my hand.”

So, when Marcus is hoisting up a heat check, does that mean he’s “feeling it” or “not feeling it?”

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 08:49:36 PM »

Kiorrik

“The doctors said it would cause more issues to take it out, so I still have glass in there. Sometimes I can’t really feel my hand.”

So, when Marcus is hoisting up a heat check, does that mean he’s “feeling it” or “not feeling it?”

Dunno but he's clearly a half full kinda guy.