Author Topic: Celtics/Jazz trade idea  (Read 2348 times)

Celtics/Jazz trade idea
« on: January 26, 2022, 07:18:03 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Just a simple trade that feeds to rumored roster narratives for both teams. The Cs are rumored to want to open up minutes for the younger guys and get below the lux tax while the Jazz are reportedly looking to improve their perimeter defense.

Celtics receive: Ingles, Butler and their protected 2023 1st or Ingles, Hughes, 2022 2nd and their protected 2023 1st

Jazz receive: Schroeder and Richardson

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Celtics/Jazz trade idea
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 07:45:38 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
The Jazz also want to reduce their luxury tax bill.  I think it will be hard to find a fit between the two teams without a third team involved/make a separate trade with to take on salary

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 07:59:35 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
The Jazz also want to reduce their luxury tax bill.  I think it will be hard to find a fit between the two teams without a third team involved/make a separate trade with to take on salary

Good point, maybe DS has to go to a 3rd team
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 08:05:57 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
I don't see the Jazz as a good trade partner. They want a defensive forward with size and bulk to matchup against powerful forwards in the West. Guys like LeBron and AD in LAL or Kawhi and PG13 in LAC. Those are the types of players they are looking for a defensive matchup for.

Boston's defenders are smaller and primarily for guards or small wings. That is Marcus Smart, Josh Richardson or Romeo Langford. Our bigger wings are Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.

I wonder if Grant Williams has played well enough to intrigue the Jazz. They could swap as talked about above a higher salaried player like Ingles for Grant and cut their tax bill. I am not sure Boston would want to do it. Grant is young and Ingles is old. I am not sure that is a trade worth doing.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 08:08:39 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
In a heartbeat. That said, I don't think the Jazz need Schroder cause they already got a score-first backup guard in Clarkson.

JRich for Ingles + second

No need to include Schroder in the deal.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 08:17:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
That trade makes Boston much worse in the short term and takes away a valuable trade piece this summer.  Now a future 1st is good and all, but I'd expect that pick to be in the mid to late 20's so I just wouldn't value it that much.

How about something like this

Boston - Ingles, Quickley
New York - Smart
Utah - Noel, Langford

Boston drops 2.9 million this year, gets a shooter in Ingles and a solid young guard prospect in Quickley.  Utah drops salary this year and gets some long term bench help for a guy that will likely be leaving anyway.  New York gets the tough defensive minded guard that Thibs loves by taking on long term salary and giving up a nice young prospect.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 08:46:40 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
That trade makes Boston much worse in the short term and takes away a valuable trade piece this summer.  Now a future 1st is good and all, but I'd expect that pick to be in the mid to late 20's so I just wouldn't value it that much.

New York - Smart
Utah - Noel, Langford

Boston drops 2.9 million this year, gets a shooter in Ingles and a solid young guard prospect in Quickley.  Utah drops salary this year and gets some long term bench help for a guy that will likely be leaving anyway.  New York gets the tough defensive minded guard that Thibs loves by taking on long term salary and giving up a nice young prospect.

Ingles is a significant downgrade from both Smart and Richardson at this point. I've watched some Jazz games and he doesn't look good. He also might be the type of player that needs rhythm to be effective, which would be tough if he changed teams mid-season.

I just don't think Quickley is good enough for that down grade. He's at 38% shooting on the year. His play style is also not one where he gets to the foul line or creates shots for his teammates (other than simple kick-outs).

If Ingles was playing like he did last year, I could see some kind of a Smart for Ingles swap, but that trade doesn't make sense now. A first rounder doesn't narrow the gap between the two either.

The Cs are still trying to win a championship. You can't trade high level rotation players for nothing and expect to get there.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 08:50:21 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

New York - Smart
Utah - Noel, Langford

I see the reasoning here, it’s a thoughtful idea. Still rather have Smart at point. He’s played 2/3 of his possessions this year at shooting guard - which is absolutely not his position. I think he should get a chance as the starting PG for the rest of this year. He seems to get that the team needs to play faster and do more in transition (if I never see DS dog walk the ball again it will be fine with me!). I’m not sure it will work I think it will.

Do you think Quickley could run this team as a PG?

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 08:58:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

New York - Smart
Utah - Noel, Langford

Ingles is a significant downgrade from both Smart and Richardson at this point. I've watched some Jazz games and he doesn't look good. He also might be the type of player that needs rhythm to be effective, which would be tough if he changed teams mid-season.

I just don't think Quickley is good enough for that down grade. He's at 38% shooting on the year. His play style is also not one where he gets to the foul line or creates shots for his teammates (other than simple kick-outs).

If Ingles was playing like he did last year, I could see some kind of a Smart for Ingles swap, but that trade doesn't make sense now. A first rounder doesn't narrow the gap between the two either.

The Cs are still trying to win a championship. You can't trade high level rotation players for nothing and expect to get there.
I think Quickley is far more likely to be around when Boston is actually a contender and will be more helpful to that goal than Smart long term.  Boston isn't winning a title this year, so taking a step back by adding a solid prospect (who has actually performed) while freeing up significant long term money (while getting under the tax this year), seems like the right type of move for Boston to make.  Quickley's 3 point shooting is down this year (as is much of the league), but he has improved his 2 point shooting and his foul shooting.  He is generating more assists and rebounds this year so he is making strides pretty much every where (except 3 point shooting).  He is also probably better than anyone you could reasonably rely on drafting with a late 1st.  He is just in year 2.  Plenty of room to continue to improve.  To call him nothing just seems strange, especially coupled with the significant financial and cap room finagling.  Plus you do still have Ingles.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 10:52:21 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
The rumor I've been seeing with the jazz is:
Smart/Denis/ few second rounders

for
Bogdan Bogdanvoic

seems like an overpay for him but he's what we need and Schroder is going to leave for nothing so I guess if you view it as Smart/2nd rounders it is okay?

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 11:03:55 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

for
Bogdan Bogdanvoic

seems like an overpay for him but he's what we need and Schroder is going to leave for nothing so I guess if you view it as Smart/2nd rounders it is okay?

No.   The Celtics are left with one PG who is the current 3rd PG.   And I wouldn't be looking for a 32 year old player unless the team is able to compete now for a title.   

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 11:11:55 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676

for
Bogdan Bogdanvoic

Good efficient secondary scorer, but man gives a lot back at the other end... and at his age, that's only going to get worse from here. 

If I'm targeting a Bogdanovic, I think I'd prefer the other one down in Atlanta.  He's having a bad year and he isn't the same level of scorer as Bojan, but I think he's a more balanced, versatile player overall. 

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 10:29:24 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Another idea involving the Cs and Jazz

Celtics get Kyle Anderson [ Anderson is a player who I think would fit really well next to the Jays and should then be resigned in the offseason]

Grizzlies get Eric Gordon, 2nd from Boston) [ if they are going to make a push in the playoffs a proven vet who can shoot and defend like Gordon will really help them, a FA and a late first is not a steep price if he gets them wins in the playoffs]

Rockets get Joe Ingles (likely buyout), Culver, 1st (from Memphis), 2nd (from Utah) [giving Culver a chance at minutes, along with a 1st and a second seems like decent value for Gordon]

Jazz get Richardson [while others have pointed out he isn't big enough to defend big wings Richardson is a clear upgrade on their bench and a player who will help then make a championship push]

A separate deal that I could see making some sense would be

Bucks get Schroeder

Celtics get George Hill and a 1st

The bucks get the upgrade and scoring punch off the bench and the Cs get a solid vet to bring playoff proven leadership to the bench for this season and next and a late first. Hill makes 4mill next season
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 09:58:29 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33183673/sources-utah-jazz-fear-joe-ingles-suffered-significant-left-knee-injury-mri-set-monday

Ingles is out as a trade target (assuming you want him to play).  That said the Jazz may trade him as salary with picks to get a starter level player/6th man in order to take Ingles place in their lineup.

Harrison Barnes might makes sense for the Jazz.

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 10:51:21 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Yeah Ingles knee injury likely spoils this effort. Also, any trade with the Jazz might be challenging especially with Danny trying to win a trade with Brad. It has to be a win/win and I’m not sure I see any combination that makes it a win/win. We give up young for old in most cases. The opposite would be appropriate with Utah prepared for a championship run.