Author Topic: If the Warriors drafted Lamelo over Wiseman  (Read 1808 times)

If the Warriors drafted Lamelo over Wiseman
« on: January 26, 2022, 12:47:01 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 The Warriors have done a great job with their roster. They are 13 players deep Without Wiseman,  and it's far to early to call Wiseman a bust.

If they took Lamelo Ball, could they be beaten over the next three years or so? Lamelo gets 15 mpg as the back up point and another 20 minutes at SG or SF.

That was a huge opportunity to get a blue chip player the #2 pick and even if they picked Lamelo to trade him they could have got a boatload for him. 

I hope Wiseman hits his peak, but it will take a long time and Lamelo is a player from day one. So would the Warriors have another dynasty on their hands if Lamelo was a Warrior.

Re: If the Warriors drafted Lamelo over Wiseman
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2022, 12:20:50 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

How awesome would the Warriors be with Lamelo

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2022, 12:25:08 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
I might also point out.... what if the Dubs had indeed traded that pick for Smart (and other assets)? What team wants to come up against both Payton and Smart in situational defensive line-ups in the 4th quarter of a playoff game?

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 12:36:11 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
I might also point out.... what if the Dubs had indeed traded that pick for Smart (and other assets)? What team wants to come up against both Payton and Smart in situational defensive line-ups in the 4th quarter of a playoff game?

The number two pick? That was a fake rumor.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 12:41:45 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

Not true. The Cs and GSW talked at some length about the #2 pick for Smart, #14, and a couple of other assets going from Boston to GSW.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 01:26:05 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The Warriors have done a great job with their roster. They are 13 players deep Without Wiseman,  and it's far to early to call Wiseman a bust.

If they took Lamelo Ball, could they be beaten over the next three years or so? Lamelo gets 15 mpg as the back up point and another 20 minutes at SG or SF.

That was a huge opportunity to get a blue chip player the #2 pick and even if they picked Lamelo to trade him they could have got a boatload for him. 

I hope Wiseman hits his peak, but it will take a long time and Lamelo is a player from day one. So would the Warriors have another dynasty on their hands if Lamelo was a Warrior.

If I remember correctly, LaMelo purposely tanked his draft stock so he wouldn’t be picked by Golden State.

Given his father’s reputation and LaMelo’s history of lazy defending and selfish on court tendencies, you can’t fault Golden State for not selecting LaMelo at the time.

But in saying all that, the GSW front office should definitely be faulted for picking James Wiseman.

Wiseman doesn’t suit their playing style and he’s such a raw talent that he needs YEARS of development that the Warriors could never provide.

What they should have done was trade down for Patrick Williams/Tyrese Haliburton or just traded out for an established star.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:40:31 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 01:43:44 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

Not true. The Cs and GSW talked at some length about the #2 pick for Smart, #14, and a couple of other assets going from Boston to GSW.

There is no way that is true. Wiseman and Ball were blue chip prospects with immense upside. No way Smart and a #14 pick would get the #2 pick in any draft.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 01:50:50 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672

There is no way that is true. Wiseman and Ball were blue chip prospects with immense upside. No way Smart and a #14 pick would get the #2 pick in any draft.

Nah, it was definitely a rumor.  I remember it floating around.

The rationale is that GS wanted to build another contender around Curry's last few dominant years and valued a win-now player like Smart over the projects available at the top of that draft (it's worth noting that the draft was considered weak on top-shelf NBA-ready talent, and even Ball was very much considered a long-term project at the time). 

There's no point in arguing about the legitimacy of the rumor.  Nobody actually knows what these GMs talk about, so nobody will have any proof either way.  But the rumor DID circulate for a while.  Obviously it didn't come to fruition.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 03:38:55 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Anyone that believes Smart and a mid first for the #2 pick was real is Living in fantasy land. Nothing more than a click bait article to get tons of readers because it's so unbelievable.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 03:39:53 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Tp Goldstar88 for not being totally gullible.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 10:00:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
I honestly don't know how well LaMelo would have developed in Golden State as a 4th option this year and 3rd option as a rookie.  Also having to develop into a system instead of having the system develop around you.  Just a different animal.  He'd be fine, but I could see this exact thread in reverse had the Warriors taken Ball and the Hornets taken Wiseman and Wiseman ended up dominating because of opportunity. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip