Author Topic: Brunson Or Bust For PBS?  (Read 2994 times)

Re: Brunson Or Bust For PBS?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2022, 02:33:31 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I'd add McCollum to the list of possible options.

Available: possibly/probably for the right price.
Cost Brown: No. It may require a 3rd team depending on what direction Portland wants to go in, but we're likely talking Horford, picks, and youth.
True point guard: maybe not, but he's a [dang] good shooter and it's possible that he could be more of a point guard not playing with Lillard. I also think he fits well in a backcourt with Smart.

He's not my favorite target due to age/contract. But if we could get him for Horford, a first rounder, and one of Langford/Nesmith/Pritchard, I would consider that.

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2022, 02:37:30 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Brunson could be traded into a TPE so a salary for salary match isn't required.  You just need to have a roster spot.  Schroder could go back and fit into a Dallas TPE.  I think Dallas would need to be compensated to the toon of 1 or 2 seconds to make it happen. 

If Dallas isn't planning on trying to sign him using his bird right, he's an UFA not RFA (I think). Then the the Schroder and 2nd (s) for Brunson gets the Cs Brunson's bird rights, under the tax line and gets them a $5m TPE. The Cs get a better passing and shooting, but smaller PG

Dallas gets some draft assets and a small TPE for an expiring FA and statistically similar player. It's a lateral move for them from a player POV.

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2022, 02:59:55 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
According to multiple reports, Brunson, who is set to be an unrestricted free agent this summer, is seeking a four-year, $80 million contract.

Brunson is believed by many to be seeking near a four-year, $80 million contract. That is a large number, especially for a player that several competing executives think is too big of a target defensively in the playoffs. — Bleacher Report’s Eric Pincus

Take this statistic with a grain of salt, but Jalen Brunson has the 8th best defensive rating amongst point guards this season.

Chris Paul - 103.7
Stephen Curry - 103.7
Dejounte Murray - 106.8
Marcus Smart - 106.9
Eric Bledsoe - 107.8
Lonzo Ball - 108.1
Darius Garland - 108.5
Jalen Brunson - 108.7
Kyle Lowry - 109.5
Russell Westbrook- 110.0

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 03:14:57 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 03:25:31 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I'm in on Brunson, which means it probably won't happen.

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 03:26:37 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Yet another overreaction thread. Am I the only one who'd be hesitant to trade for Brunson due to his upcoming free agency? Brunson reportedly wants $80 mil/4 years. We extended Smart for $77/4. Would you rather have Smart at $77/4 or Brunson at $80/4? Smart is overpaid. Brunson is about to become overpaid.

It seems like we always need to find a scapegoat. Personaly speaking, I like Smart's game. Don't see why we have to trade him. That said, nobody is untouchable. If I were Brad, I'd have 2 different scenarios in mind:

1)Trade him in a bigger deal for a 3rd star.
2)Trade him for pick(s)/prospect(s) + possibly cap relief. Not what I would do. I'm only suggesting this cause we are underachieving and Wyc is cheap. In any case, we could still use those pick(s) to go after a 3rd star in a follow-up deal.

Don't think Brunson would move the needle for us.

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2022, 03:31:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Yet another overreaction thread. Am I the only one who'd be hesitant to trade for Brunson due to his upcoming free agency? Brunson reportedly wants $80 mil/4 years. We extended Smart for $77/4. Would you rather have Smart at $77/4 or Brunson at $80/4? Smart is overpaid. Brunson is about to become overpaid.

It seems like we always need to find a scapegoat. Personaly speaking, I like Smart's game. Don't see why we have to trade him. That said, nobody is untouchable. If I were Brad, I'd have 2 different scenarios in mind:

2)Trade him for pick(s)/prospect(s) + cap relief(?). Not what I would do. I'm only suggesting this cause we are underachieving and Wyc is cheap. In any case, we could still use those pick(s) to go after a 3rd star in a follow-up deal.

I'd much rather have Brunson.  He has steadily improved and is only in year 4.  Came into league a bit older, but still has a bit more room to grow.  He is a much better all around offensive player and Smart has lost a step defensively, so that gap is only going to keep shrinking.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2022, 03:41:03 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I mentioned it in another thread, but I'd take a chance on Sexton. Yes, I know by acquiring him this season we'd essentially be signaling to everybody that we aren't all-in on our Title hopes..

Uh, I think we signaled that to anyone with eyes a loooooong time ago.

A few stores like this have scared me off.

Cavaliers players get taunted by opponents who tell them Collin Sexton won't pass the ball, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/cavaliers-players-get-taunted-by-opponents-who-tell-them-collin-sexton-wont-pass-the-ball-per-report/amp/

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2022, 03:47:33 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

2)Trade him for pick(s)/prospect(s) + possibly cap relief. Not what I would do. I'm only suggesting this cause we are underachieving and Wyc is cheap. In any case, we could still use those pick(s) to go after a 3rd star in a follow-up deal.

What he wants and what he gets are likely to be different things.  That said if the C's trade for him now and get his bird rights and another team really wants him then a S/T is possible and assets could come back.  Since there is a dearth of cap space next year that could be the only way Brunson gets that much in free agency.

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2022, 03:50:28 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
More reasons to like Jalen Brunson:

His father, Rick Brunson played for the Celtics ✅

Rick Brunson’s highest scoring NBA game? Against the LA Lakers ✅
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2022, 03:50:33 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
OK, a quick stat compare of Smart to Brunson:

Smart           Brunson
FG%           34.9%             50.0%
3P%           30.5%             32.5%
Reb              4.8                3.8
Asst              5.3                5.5
+/-            +3.6              +2.4
NetR            4.8                 3.6
AssR           28.4%             26.2%
Pace           99.0               96.4
Use%         16.9%           21.9%
TORatio      11.0                8.1
EFG%         46.6%           53.8%

Smart is actually better at +/-, Net Rating, assists (ratio), pace, rebs, on less usage.  Brunson gives you better shooting (although not much better 3P%), fewer turnovers.  Smart is 6'-4", 27 years, Brunson 6'-1", 25 years.  Smart is also far more versatile, particularly on defense, and brings significant other intangibles.

I predict you are not going to see a big deal made to get Brunson.  Further, if Brunson gets paid $80M, I hope it is not the Celtics.

I feel Brunson is a decent player, we just don't need him.  Yes, his shooting numbers are better than Smart's, that would be nice to have in a PG and maybe he turns into a IT and gets really good late in his career.  I am not seeing it though.

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2022, 04:23:19 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
More reasons to like Jalen Brunson:

His father, Rick Brunson played for the Celtics ✅

Rick Brunson’s highest scoring NBA game? Against the LA Lakers ✅
TP.  I thought the name rang a bell.

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2022, 04:26:13 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Cost Brown: No. It may require a 3rd team depending on what direction Portland wants to go in, but we're likely talking Horford, picks, and youth.
True point guard: maybe not, but he's a [dang] good shooter and it's possible that he could be more of a point guard not playing with Lillard. I also think he fits well in a backcourt with Smart.

He's not my favorite target due to age/contract. But if we could get him for Horford, a first rounder, and one of Langford/Nesmith/Pritchard, I would consider that.
I would do that trade because we keep all of our best players. Smart/McCollum/Brown/Tatum/R. Williams as a starting five has me salivating.

But I guess Portland would only do that if they are blowing it up

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2022, 06:42:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I would do that trade because we keep all of our best players. Smart/McCollum/Brown/Tatum/R. Williams as a starting five has me salivating.

That would be beautiful. Smart and McCollum would work well together and give the Jays real help on the perimeter offensively. That would be a tough team to defend.

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2022, 06:59:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That would be beautiful. Smart and McCollum would work well together and give the Jays real help on the perimeter offensively. That would be a tough team to defend.
McCollum would be an ideal pairing next to Smart. Solid passer, immense scoring arsenal and a good shooter.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)