Author Topic: Any interest in Spencer Dinwiddie?  (Read 1391 times)

Any interest in Spencer Dinwiddie?
« on: January 25, 2022, 11:13:10 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
https://clutchpoints.com/wizards-rumors-washington-surprising-trade-stance-spencer-dinwiddie-after-big-offseason-move/amp/

His third year of his contract is only partially guaranteed at $10m. He is a tall PG at 6’5”. He is having an off year after ACL and his shooting % is much lower than normal.

Re: Any interest in Spencer Dinwiddie?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 11:56:24 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I don’t like his fit with the Celtics but it is really interesting that the Wizards may be open to moving him.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 11:58:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not really interested.  He's never been a good shooter or an efficient player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 11:58:27 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
He's a below average PG. So no, not really....

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 12:04:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I like Dinwiddie but the Celts don’t need another offensive black hole with high usage. The reason the Wizards are moving him is most likely due to the fact the he restricts what Beal can do. So for doesn’t make sense here.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 12:05:55 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Not interested.   Still think he is backup pg (top level backup) being paid like a top half starter.

More interesting question, if the move Dinwiddie, would they be interested in Schroder? 

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 12:14:19 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I did at the beginning of the year when I thought he could be a solid starter again. It just doesn't seem like he has the same level of effectiveness as when he played for Brooklyn.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 12:22:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Not interested.   Still think he is backup pg (top level backup) being paid like a top half starter.

More interesting question, if the move Dinwiddie, would they be interested in Schroder?
Is 18 million a year over just 3 years really top half starter money?  He will be making a lot less annually than Smart when his extension kicks in.  Now maybe he isn't as good as Smart, but I also have a hard time judging Dinwiddie this season since he is coming back from an ACL and those often take some time to come back from.  The year before he got hurt he looked like a potential rising star averaging 20/4/7.  Not a great shooter, but a real knack for scoring and a solid passer and rebounder. 

He makes the exact amount of Fournier's TPE, so we could just fit him in under that for a top 55 protected 2nd rounder.  Then send to Washington, Schroder + Fernando for a lottery protected 1st which converts to 2 2nd's.  Washington gets out Dinwiddie's contract going forward for a guy that can provide pretty similar production this year.  Boston takes on Dinwiddie's contract long term for a chance at a 1st or 2 2nd's. 

Boston can then move Richardson or Smart for limited money back to get under the tax this year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 12:23:38 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
On the plus side he fits the Fournier TPE practically to the dollar, which makes him easy to trade for in terms of matching salaries.  On the minus side he's average at best and is owed a lot of money the next couple of years (partially guaranteed 3rd year or not).

To me it depends on what he would/wouldn't cost.  Given the team's desire to avoid the tax this season, he seems more like a draft night trade option with the TPE than something in the next two weeks, but he doesn't seem like someone who will move the needle regardless of when we acquire him.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 12:23:53 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

That’s a good point,

I was going to post about the trying to land Advija given the depth they have at the big forward Kuzma, Hachimura, Advija, and Bertans. I was thinking Schroeder, Langford, and a second for Advija? Depending on who they target with a Dinwiddie trade my trade idea could become more viable.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 01:04:29 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
By the numbers, Dinwiddie and Smart are very similar, with the exception of Net Rating, Smart is +4.7, Dinwiddie is -1.7.  The only other stat that is not fairly close is steals where Smart is 2.0/gm and Dinwiddie is 0.6/gm.

Dinwiddie doesn't shoot better, doesn't get appreciably more assists, doesn't result in more pace.  Dinwiddie's scoring is down this year but his shooting isn't necessarily worse, he is just taking fewer shots.  I am not sure there is upside here.

I think what Dinwiddie does is make Smart look pretty good in comparison.

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 02:12:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I like Dinwiddie but the Celts don’t need another offensive black hole with high usage. The reason the Wizards are moving him is most likely due to the fact the he restricts what Beal can do. So for doesn’t make sense here.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Decent player but wrong fit for this team. Dinwiddie could be a short-term band aid but long term he is a bad fit next to the Jays due to his high-usage medium efficiency offensive game.