Author Topic: I gave up on Grant -for that i'm apologizing  (Read 1910 times)

I gave up on Grant -for that i'm apologizing
« on: January 24, 2022, 08:18:39 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Where he improved the most was his use of lateral and strength keeping guards from turning the corner.He is suited for the physicality.He now attacks the closeouts and even hit a sidestep three.
He turns and blocks the way i was taught and his confidence hitting the corner three.
I believe another offseason working further on lateral and burst.
Love his sense of humor..
Sorry Grant for writing you off..

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 08:23:52 PM by rollie mass »

Re: I gave up on grant -for that i'm apologizing
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 08:23:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Where he improved the most was his use of lateral and strength keeping guards from turning the corner.He is suited for the physicality.He now attacks the closeouts and even hit a sidestep three.
He turns and blocks the way i was taught and his confidence hitting the corner three.
I believe another offseason working further on lateral and burst.
Love his sense of humor..
Sorry Grant for writing you off..

I believe they told him before last season they were going to play him at center so he bulked up and looked a step slow all last year. It was plainly obvious that he could play center and was not the same player. If anything they should be trying to get him even quicker.

Re: I gave up on Grant -for that i'm apologizing
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 11:44:20 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
I was also resigned last year and very disapointed because his 1st year made me believe he would be a lock for a future good role player.
Also we couldn't imagine his body would taht much change 2 years in a row... He still is a little too inconstant and has tendance to disapear. He has qualities and I believe in him much more than in Ojeleye who had a lot of supporters last year. But I am still a little mefiant.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 06:56:17 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I like Grant a lot and pleased to see him hitting 3's again and playing good defense.  However, he still seems like a tweener and I'm not sure what his ideal position is.  Playing him at C was a disaster. He's built like a PF, but currently I see him best as a SF.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 07:06:20 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 07:41:35 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I like Grant a lot and pleased to see him hitting 3's again and playing good defense.  However, he still seems like a tweener and I'm not sure what his ideal position is.  Playing him at C was a disaster. He's built like a PF, but currently I see him best as a SF.

i see him playing a similar role to Jae Crowder.  He's a smallish 4 that can shoot and plays good team D and solid individual D.  I think Grant is a better passer than Jae, but having him in the corner waiting to shoot doesn't emphasize that skill.

I'd love to see grant work out of the high post as a point forward with the second unit.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 08:23:13 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I was indifferent.  I didn't know much about him when the C's drafted him, but some of the draft coverage people (national and local) thought it was a steal.

All in all, not one of Danny's better drafts, no?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 09:01:42 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Slim Grant has been great. He looked slow last year and because of his lack of height, looked mostly ineffective. He was like Enes Freedom without the offensive rebounding. This year, he’s a lot quicker and can get up higher. He still plays physical, which is great, and his improved shot has really made him look like a good rotation player.

I wrote off Grant last year too and I stand by my criticism that he often played like garbage last year, but this year has been a huge improvement.
- LilRip

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 09:05:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I was ready to dump him before.

Now? Indifferent was a word used above. That is a good word although I am still probably more negative than indifferent. Yeah. Negative because of G.Williams' lack of speed and low skill-level relative to his position (forward). His ball-handling, passing, shot-creation, outside shooting are still below average. His shooting numbers are improving but he needs to become more versatile in shot locations and improve volume to become more of a threat to make up for his inability to drive and overall stationary ways on the offensive end.

Defensively, I am impressed with his 1st and 2nd efforts on defense but I not sure about 3rd, 4th, 5th efforts. By that I mean he does well at first point of attack and recovers well enough to 2nd point but it gets harder for him on later rotations if they are long rotations due to his lack of footspeed. If they are shorter rotations, his brain is good. He has excellent recognition and knows where to be. He does very well on them. I am still unsure about his overall defensive value given this mix - how well I'd rank his overall defense.

I no longer want to jettison him to free up a roster spot. I am fine with keeping him but I am not ready to depend on him for anything significant. He still looks limited to being a 15-20mpg bench PF and is replaceable.

I certainly do not see him as part of our core or a long term starter. He would need to show much more improvement to get to that point and I am doubtful he'll be able to do that.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 10:08:05 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I was ready to dump him before.

Now? Indifferent was a word used above. That is a good word although I am still probably more negative than indifferent. Yeah. Negative because of G.Williams' lack of speed and low skill-level relative to his position (forward). His ball-handling, passing, shot-creation, outside shooting are still below average. His shooting numbers are improving but he needs to become more versatile in shot locations and improve volume to become more of a threat to make up for his inability to drive and overall stationary ways on the offensive end.

Defensively, I am impressed with his 1st and 2nd efforts on defense but I not sure about 3rd, 4th, 5th efforts. By that I mean he does well at first point of attack and recovers well enough to 2nd point but it gets harder for him on later rotations if they are long rotations due to his lack of footspeed. If they are shorter rotations, his brain is good. He has excellent recognition and knows where to be. He does very well on them. I am still unsure about his overall defensive value given this mix - how well I'd rank his overall defense.

I no longer want to jettison him to free up a roster spot. I am fine with keeping him but I am not ready to depend on him for anything significant. He still looks limited to being a 15-20mpg bench PF and is replaceable.

I certainly do not see him as part of our core or a long term starter. He would need to show much more improvement to get to that point and I am doubtful he'll be able to do that.
  TP !!Very diplomatic post

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 11:33:09 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Grant is playing with more confidence and spreading his wings a bit but he's exactly what I expected him to be the whole time.  I'm glad he's earning the opportunity. 

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 11:44:06 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
Grant is playing with more confidence and spreading his wings a bit but he's exactly what I expected him to be the whole time.  I'm glad he's earning the opportunity.

His offense has taken a different track than I expected, honestly.  After watching him at Tennessee and as a rookie, I thought his general court awareness and passing would be more of an asset on offense.  I thought he'd be able to do some of the stuff we see from Rob - probably not dangerous enough with the ball in his hands to consistently hurt teams, but able to exploit bad matchups or poorly-prepared teams.  That hasn't really materialized. 

That said, I never expected him to be a 43% three point shooter.  Dude is going to have a long career as a useful player if he wants to keep knocking them down at 40+% while playing acceptable defense.  Arguably we should be looking for him in his corner more often than we do. 

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 11:58:04 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

His offense has taken a different track than I expected, honestly.  After watching him at Tennessee and as a rookie, I thought his general court awareness and passing would be more of an asset on offense.  I thought he'd be able to do some of the stuff we see from Rob - probably not dangerous enough with the ball in his hands to consistently hurt teams, but able to exploit bad matchups or poorly-prepared teams.  That hasn't really materialized. 

That said, I never expected him to be a 43% three point shooter.  Dude is going to have a long career as a useful player if he wants to keep knocking them down at 40+% while playing acceptable defense.  Arguably we should be looking for him in his corner more often than we do.
I don't disagree with your first paragraph.  I do think he has some of that ability but he's not being put in that position, I for now means it's not to the point where coach thinks I a weapon.  I can't say I blame him given the other options.  All that said, don't put on guard on Grant because he'd absolutely punish that match up if the team went to it.  Grant also has a little more to give attacking closeouts and we're starting to see some glimpses of that.

In terms of his shooting, the 0-25 was an absolute fluke.  Since then he's been close to 40% even before this year (my guesstimate).  I think 43% is a tad high but that's on mostly wide open shots.  I'm sure it will go down over time but if that means that teams are closer to him, that's a good thing.

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 12:17:35 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
It’s great that Williams improved his 3 pt shot but I’m still sort of blah on him as a player. Still don’t really know what position he is and how he really helps you in the rotation. He’s too small to be a big and not athletic enough to be a 3. He gets murdered as a 5. I appreciate his efforts in conditioning and shooting and he seems like a genuinely good dude but I don’t think he has any future as a starter for this team or core bench piece on a contender. Best case scenario he caps out at a PJ Tucker type player but I don’t think he has the type of athleticism to become that.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 12:24:02 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
If you go strictly by stats, Grant Williams is pretty much neutral for both Net Rating and overall +/-.  That is about what I see.  As comparted to other (Celtics) players who play regularly, his net Rating and +/- are only better than Langford, Pritchard, and Nesmith.  Freedom actually has a better net rating but a worse +/-.

That is what Grant Williams is.  Yes, he can come off the bench and hit 3s when he is open and gets a perfect pass but he can't do much else.  His 3p% is probably more an indication of his shot selection than his shooting.  Which is fine, he knows who he is.  He is a decent undersized PF bench player who can make a 3 but only if he is wide open in the corner.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 01:05:51 PM by Vermont Green »