Author Topic: Rumor: Marcus Smart linked to Dallas Mavericks  (Read 9666 times)

Re: Rumor: Marcus Smart linked to Dallas Mavericks
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2022, 10:28:55 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I'm not sure I'd want Smart next to Doncic if I were Dallas. I understand the defensive angle but:

(1) Smart is so dang slow. Doncic is slow too. You want fast people around your slow star to hide their weakness. Not compound it with other slow people. And Dallas already has Kleber messing that plan up for them already. Imagine the 3 of them together? They'll be getting out-run by every team they face every night.

(2) Doncic needs finishers around him. He can carry a higher load offensively than any other star in the NBA today. There are only a few guys who come close - Trae Young, LeBron, Harden.

Doncic needs guys who can be lethal finishers. Who can knockdown shots when he attracts defensive attention. That isn't Smart. Smart is a solid secondary ball-handler and stabilizer. That is not what Dallas needs. They need a shooter who can kill defenses that help over on Doncic. They need quick driving action against scrambling defense to give some weakside dribble penetration against an exposed defense. They need shot-creation and playmaking from their guards when Doncic sits. Smart does none of these things well.

Yeah, Smart will give you some defense but I reckon he creates as many (if not more) problems than he solves for Dallas. I wouldn't go after him if I were the Mavs.

---------------------

I like Smart much more next to a guy like Lillard. Lillard carries a large load offensively but not as much as Doncic. Having that secondary ball-handler stabilizer to keep the offense is moving is valuable next to a prolific score-first PG like Lillard. That is a good combination for Smart.

The combination with Doncic is different because Doncic is different to Lillard. He spends more time on the ball and is more of a creator for others (as well as for himself). His demands on the guards next to him are different. He requires more finishing ability than stabilizer ability.

I really liked what Smart brought to the table next to Kyrie or Kemba. I thought that worked very well for him and for the team. I am not convinced he'll work as well with someone like Luka.

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2022, 10:29:20 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Porzingis is having his best year with the Mavs. It's doubtful they are looking to salary dump him.

It would likely be Smart for one of their guards, THJ or Brunson. If not, then Dallas would be paying around 91 mil for 4 guards (assuming they resign Brunson).

Conversely, this is the exact moment Dallas should sell high. Devil’s advocate.

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2022, 10:40:50 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Porzingis is having his best year with the Mavs. It's doubtful they are looking to salary dump him.

It would likely be Smart for one of their guards, THJ or Brunson. If not, then Dallas would be paying around 91 mil for 4 guards (assuming they resign Brunson).

He’s having his best year, but he’s still overpaid for this season at $31.6 million, and is owed $70 million the following two years.  It’s a bad contract.

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2022, 10:49:01 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

He’s having his best year, but he’s still overpaid for this season at $31.6 million, and is owed $70 million the following two years.  It’s a bad contract.

It's not just that. I can't be the only one who struggles to forget how rigid and slow he looked last playoffs. It was really brutal.

I think he's the type of player whose peak is going to fall off very, very quickly. Somewhat like Demarcus Cousins.

If he can't move, he will essentially become what Marc Gasol was in his last couple seasons with the Lakers.

I could be very wrong on this, but he's not the type of player I would bet on. However, I will talk myself into him very quickly if the Cs trade for him.

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2022, 10:55:07 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

It's not just that. I can't be the only one who struggles to forget how rigid and slow he looked last playoffs. It was really brutal.

I think he's the type of player whose peak is going to fall off very, very quickly. Somewhat like Demarcus Cousins.

If he can't move, he will essentially become what Marc Gasol was in his last couple seasons with the Lakers.

I could be very wrong on this, but he's not the type of player I would bet on. However, I will talk myself into him very quickly if the Cs trade for him.

I don’t think you’re wrong.  I don’t think the Celtics would trade Horford for Porzingis straight up.  They certainly won’t trade Smart for him.

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2022, 10:55:21 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72

Im not sure I sign on it either… for the exact reasons you outline. But we gotta change the mix here and take a shot with a different makeup.

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2022, 01:28:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Dallas is an interesting trade target.  Next season, if they stand pat, their top 3 contracts will be:

Doncic      $36M
Porzingis   $34M
Hardaway  $20M

That is $90M and not a whole lot to show for it.  Horford would save them some money over Porzingis and could hold down the fort OK next season for them.  I think Smart would be a good fit for them.

I bet Dallas would talk seriously about trading either Porzingis or Hardaway.  Porzingis for having an off season is still putting up 20/8 in 31 games.

Would they take Horford and Schroder maybe for Porzingis? 

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2022, 01:38:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I suspect they would, as a pure salary dump.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2022, 03:27:46 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

There is no way. That would be a terrible move for the Mavs.

Mark Cuban two months ago:

“That’s not true. Why would I do that at all?” Mavs owner Mark Cuban told NBA.com. “Trades like that, you always end up further behind. When you trade a superstar, you never get the best end of it…

“I’ve always believed that KP hasn’t played his best basketball yet. Now you’re seeing why we didn’t trade him,” Cuban said. “He’s a great player. He’s a good dude. All of my experiences with him have been positive. So why would we do that? But that’s NBA Twitter and that’s Mavs Twitter. That’s what they do. They’re probably trying to trade Luka right now.”

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2022, 03:30:53 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

“That’s not true. Why would I do that at all?” Mavs owner Mark Cuban told NBA.com. “Trades like that, you always end up further behind. When you trade a superstar, you never get the best end of it…

“I’ve always believed that KP hasn’t played his best basketball yet. Now you’re seeing why we didn’t trade him,” Cuban said. “He’s a great player. He’s a good dude. All of my experiences with him have been positive. So why would we do that? But that’s NBA Twitter and that’s Mavs Twitter. That’s what they do. They’re probably trying to trade Luka right now.”

I guess owners never tell a fib / outright lie to put themselves in a better trade situation right?
I think Cuban believes 'some' of that.

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2022, 03:59:33 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

If you are right, and Dallas would do this, then count me in.  I believe enough of Cuban's quote to think that they are not yet ready to just salary dump Porzingis so I don't think Dallas does this.  They have to do something though.  They don't seem to be going anywhere with a big 3 of Doncic, Porzingis, and Hardaway.

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2022, 04:07:40 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

If you are right, and Dallas would do this, then count me in.  I believe enough of Cuban's quote to think that they are not yet ready to just salary dump Porzingis so I don't think Dallas does this.  They have to do something though.  They don't seem to be going anywhere with a big 3 of Doncic, Porzingis, and Hardaway.

Does this lineup get us any closer to contending than where we are now?  (legit q, I don't know)
(say Porzingis for Horford / DS / 2nd round pick/or some other asset)

Smart / Brown / Tatum / Porzingis / Timelord
PP / Langford / J Rich / Grant / Future backup C

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2022, 04:14:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I guess owners never tell a fib / outright lie to put themselves in a better trade situation right?
It was also 2 months ago so may not actually be true anymore even if it was 2 months ago.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2022, 04:15:00 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Does this lineup get us any closer to contending than where we are now?  (legit q, I don't know)
(say Porzingis for Horford / DS / 2nd round pick/or some other asset)

Smart / Brown / Tatum / Porzingis / Timelord
PP / Langford / J Rich / Grant / Future backup C

It only does if Porzingis suddenly becomes the superstar he was on track to be 3-4 seasons ago.  Otherwise it’s problematic unless ownership is willing to spend big no matter what.  The ten players you have listed get us above the apron level on their own, even with a minimum salary backup center, so flexibility for adding additional pieces/making other moves is limited unless the budget were substantially increased.

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2022, 04:21:49 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

It was also 2 months ago so may not actually be true anymore even if it was 2 months ago.

I just don't know if KP is someone that would actually move the needle or not?  A lot of people here seem to think he is way overpaid.  His stats are ok this year, 20/8.  We get another 20 point per game scorer, but one that has a history of injury issues.  Would he fit well with timelord?  I guess he provides the off / timelord provides the def kind of thing?