Author Topic: Rumor: Marcus Smart linked to Dallas Mavericks  (Read 9688 times)

Re: Rumor: Marcus Smart linked to Dallas Mavericks
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 06:59:48 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Horford + Smart

For

Porzingis + Brunson + Kleber

A starting line-up of Brunson-Brown-Tatum-Porzingis-Williams III

Dallas would never do that. Horford doesn't have real value anymore.

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 07:02:12 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Three-way with Pacers

Pacers get: Dorian Finney-Smith, Maxi Kleiber, Mavs 1st
Mavs get: Smart, Turner
Celtics get: Brunson, Powell

Should get us out of the tax completely too.

Pacers get Carlisle favorite Finney-Smith. They get a floor-spacer in Kleiber as well to put next to Sabonis.

Mavs get players ready to compete with Doncic in the playoffs.

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2022, 07:05:09 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Horford + Smart

For

I think you are vastly overrating Porzingis, who’s contract has to be near a bottom 5 deal in value at this point.

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2022, 07:07:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Horford + Smart

For

I'd do it. It would help Dallas as well. Boston adds three shooters and Dallas adds defense.

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2022, 07:11:08 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Horford + Smart

For

Porzingis alone is a lot of money and injury prone (one of the risks in this trade - can he stay healthy).

Brunson is an impending free agent (the other risk in this trade - what is his sign-ability).

I don think the package above is that for off from enticing Dallas to clear their books to build around Luka.

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2022, 07:16:12 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I am not saying I like this but I could see a Porzingis + Burke or Ntilikina for Smart and Al.

Why for Boston, the deal gives the Cs the 3rd scorer that they need and adds brings better spacing to the court. A lineup of Pritchard, Brown, Tatum, Grant and KP really would open things up for Tatum and Brown. It also opens up minutes for the young guys with the departure of Smart.

Why not for Boston, they makes the team much softer. KP has never proven that he can stay healthy or play winning basketball. I also would worry how KP handles being the "3rd guy"

Why for Dallas, Smart makes alot of sense next to Luka he compliments his game very well and brings defense and toughness to the back-court. This deal also rids the Mavs of KPs contract. AL will fit nicely with the pieces they have and this is a core that could make some noise in the playoffs.

Why not for Dallas, I'm not sure they can move KP with Smart coming back as the big addition.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2022, 07:22:08 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
I am not saying I like this but I could see a Porzingis + Burke or Ntilikina for Smart and Al.

Why for Boston, the deal gives the Cs the 3rd scorer that they need and adds brings better spacing to the court. A lineup of Pritchard, Brown, Tatum, Grant and KP really would open things up for Tatum and Brown. It also opens up minutes for the young guys with the departure of Smart.

Why not for Boston, they makes the team much softer. KP has never proven that he can stay healthy or play winning basketball. I also would worry how KP handles being the "3rd guy"

Why for Dallas, Smart makes alot of sense next to Luka he compliments his game very well and brings defense and toughness to the back-court. This deal also rids the Mavs of KPs contract. AL will fit nicely with the pieces they have and this is a core that could make some noise in the playoffs.

Why not for Dallas, I'm not sure they can move KP with Smart coming back as the big addition.

Dallas would absolutely have to send picks for that deal.  Replacement level PG and a contract like Porzingis?   I’m not sure the C’s do that even if they keep Smart.

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2022, 07:27:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I would take a shot on Porzingis.  Him and Doncic are not a good fit.  He could spread the floor and still only 26.  Hortford and Smart for Porzingis and Brunson.
No thanks, Porzingis is woefully injury-prone and sucks in the playoffs. Wildly overpaid too.

also there's good reason to believe he's uh, not a good person. to put it mildly.

i have zero interest in having Porzingis on my team
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2022, 07:39:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Horford + Smart

For

Horford can still play, I think Ime plays him too many minutes but he can still play but he's also money off the books at the end of the year if Dallas wants off Porzingis and they aren't going to resign Brunson anyway. Smart is a good fit in Dallas.

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2022, 07:39:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I would take a shot on Porzingis.  Him and Doncic are not a good fit.  He could spread the floor and still only 26.  Hortford and Smart for Porzingis and Brunson.
No thanks, Porzingis is woefully injury-prone and sucks in the playoffs. Wildly overpaid too.

also there's good reason to believe he's uh, not a good person. to put it mildly.

Prozingis isn't a good person??

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2022, 07:48:36 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/01/marcus-smart-linked-to-dallas-mavericks-in-trade-talks-would-a-potential-deal-make-sense-for-celtics-report.html?outputType=amp

Oh please be Jalen Brunson. Pretty please…

This article links to an article from Bleacher Report that mentions nothing about Smart and Dallas, for what it's worth.

Scroll down:

One dark-horse team mentioned as being interested in Grant was the Dallas Mavericks, with Dorian Finney-Smith and probably Dwight Powell as the primary pieces. The Mavericks have also been linked to Collins in Atlanta and Marcus Smart in Boston.

Thanks.  Bit of a throwaway line for Masslive to write an article about it.

Agreed. What does "linked" mean? By who? When? Where?

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2022, 07:56:53 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Horford + Smart

For

Horford can still play, I think Ime plays him too many minutes but he can still play but he's also money off the books at the end of the year if Dallas wants off Porzingis and they aren't going to resign Brunson anyway. Smart is a good fit in Dallas.

Perhaps if Cuban really thinks of the big picture this proposal might be worth discussing. From a neutral fan without context this is easy to dismiss, but who knows.

Having said that I'm not sure I'd make that deal if I were Stevens. Don't like Porzingis or his contract. Of course Brunson is a nice player, but we don't know whether he'll be able to actually be a lead guard on a contender. That's the only reason why you'd make such a trade. Smart for all his shortcomings is a valuable player.

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2022, 07:59:41 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2022/01/marcus-smart-linked-to-dallas-mavericks-in-trade-talks-would-a-potential-deal-make-sense-for-celtics-report.html?outputType=amp

Oh please be Jalen Brunson. Pretty please…

This article links to an article from Bleacher Report that mentions nothing about Smart and Dallas, for what it's worth.

Scroll down:

One dark-horse team mentioned as being interested in Grant was the Dallas Mavericks, with Dorian Finney-Smith and probably Dwight Powell as the primary pieces. The Mavericks have also been linked to Collins in Atlanta and Marcus Smart in Boston.

Thanks.  Bit of a throwaway line for Masslive to write an article about it.

Agreed. What does "linked" mean? By who? When? Where?

If you read the OP’s article by Brian Robb of MassLive, there is an in text hyperlink to an article by Eric Pincus of Bleacher Report, which is mostly about other trade rumors, but says Dallas is looking for veteran help, including Smart, in a section about Jerami Grant.  The link in the original article indicates it is this sentence that inspired the entire MassLive article, and thus this thread.

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2022, 08:05:11 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I really don't see Dallas as a trade destination.  I'd rather have Smart then Brunson.  The C's need length at the PG position not another smurf.  Brunson is 6'1.

If the C's trade with Dallas I'm sure it's most likely a DS deal for their TPE from the Richardson trade and some 2nds. 

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2022, 08:11:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Prozingis isn't a good person??

couple years ago a woman came forward saying that Kristaps assaulted her. there supposedly was an investigation. Kristaps's attorney put out a statement saying the woman was just trying to extort Kristaps. the story just kind of evaporated without any clear resolution after that.

classic kind of story that allows anybody to draw whatever conclusion they prefer. in such a situation I assume that the person who came forward is telling the truth, since the history of these types of allegations is that our culture doesn't actually treat women who come forward very kindly, despite the inevitable talking point that the person is just looking to get money or get attention.

anyway, if you google it you'll see all the same news stories I've seen about it.  i'm not saying he ought to be locked up, but it's enough that I'd rather not have him on my team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain