Author Topic: Celtics (23-24) at Wizards (23-23) Game #48 2/23/22  (Read 13654 times)

Celtics (23-24) at Wizards (23-23) Game #48 2/23/22
« on: January 22, 2022, 09:50:25 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (23-24) at Washington Wizards (23-23) 
Sunday, January 23, 2022
3:30 PM ET
TV: NBCSB, NBCSWA, NBA-LP
Radio: WBZ-FM, WTEM
Regular Season Game #48, Road Game #23
Capital One Arena

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard

vs
Marcus Smart vs Spencer Dinwiddie

Shooting Guard
vs
Jaylen Brown vs Bradley Beal

Small Forward

vs
Jayson Tatum  vs  Kentavious Caldwell-Pope

Power Forward [/b]
vs
Al Horford vs  Kyle Kuzma

Center

vs
Robert Williams III  vs  Daniel Gafford

Celtics Reserves
Bruno Fernando
Enes Kanter
Payton Pritchard
Josh Richardson
Grant Williams
Romeo Langford
Dennis Schroder

Injuries
Marcus Smart (conditioning) probable
Aaron Nesmith  (ankle) probable
Bol Bol (foot) out
PJ Dozier (knee)  out

Two-Way Players
Sam Hauser
Brodric Thomas

Head Coach

Ime Udoka

Wizards Reserves
Deni Avdija
Davis Bertans
Thomas Bryant
Anthony Gill
Rui Hachimura
Montrezl  Harrell
Aaron Holiday
Corey Kispert
Raul Neto
Isaiah Todd

Injuries
Kyle Kuzma (neck) probable

Two-Way Players
Joel Ayayi
Cassius Winston

Head Coach
Wes Unseld, Jr

Game Notes
The Celtics visit the Washington Wizards for the 3rd of 4 meetings between these two teams this season.  Their first meeting was on October 27 where the Wizards won 116-107 in Boston.  Their second meeting was just 3 days later as the Wizards once again won 115-112 in double overtime in Washington.  They will meet for the 4th time this season on April 3 in Boston. 

The Celtics are 10th in the East and have lost their last 2 games.  They are 8-14 on the road and 5-5 in their last 10 games.  They are 16-13 against Eastern Conference teams.  They are just half a game ahead of the 11th place Knicks and 1.5 games ahead of the 12th place Hawks.  They are 1/2 game behind their opponent in this game  and 1 game behind 8th place Toronto. 

The Wizards are 9th in the East and, like the Celtics, they have lost their last 2 games  They are 13-10 at home and 5-5 in their last 10 games.   They are 16-15 against other Eastern Conference teams.  They are just half a game ahead of the Celtics.  Like many games at this time of the season, this game has a lot riding on it for the seeding in the East.  A win by the Celtics will move them to 9th, half a game ahead of the Wizards, rather than half a game behind them.

Since these teams are 9th and 10th currently and both teams have been very inconsistent, this may be a preview of the play in tournament for the playoffs.  The Wizards had pulled over .500 with 3 straight wins. but then lost 3 of 4 games since then.  The Celtics have been at .500, then one game over .500 and then back to .500 and now they are once again one game below .500. 

The Wizards are playing in the 7th game of an 8 game home stand.   They are 3-3 so far on their home stand and will finish it up on Tuesday against the Los Angeles Clippers.  They will then head out for a 3 game road trip.  The Celtics just finished up a 4 game home stand where they went 2-2.  They will return home to face the Kings for one game before a back to back on the road against Atlanta and New Orleans.

The Celtics are once again close to being at full strength.  Marcus Smart, who has missed the last 6 games between a thigh contusion and the health and safety protocols, is probable for this game.  If he can't play for some reason, then Dennis Schroder should once again get the start.  Aaron Nesmith (ankle) is also probable for this game.  Bol Bol is out after having foot surgery and PJ Dozier is out with a torn ACL. 

Washington should be at full strength.  Kyle Kuzma missed their last game with muscle spasms in his neck but is listed as probable for this game.   Head Coach Wes Unseld, Jr has missed 4 games due to health and safety protocols but is expected to be back for this game.   Other than that, their injury list is clear. 

Key Matchups
vs
Jaylen Brown vs Bradley Beal
This is a key matchup for both teams.  Bradley Beal is averaging 23.7 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 6.5 assists per game.  He is shooting 45.5% from the field and 30.3% from beyond the arc.   Jaylen Brown has been somewhat inconsistent this season so it's hard to tell whether we will get efficient Jaylen or the one that shoots 0-whatever from three.  The Celtics need Jaylen to be his best on both ends of the court. 

vs
Jayson Tatum vs Kyle Kuzma
Kuzma is probable for this game after missing Friday's game with neck spasms.  If he can't play, then Deni Avdija may get a second straight start.  Kuzma is averaging 15.7 points, 8.8 rebounds, and 2.9 assists.  He is shooting 45.4% from the field and 32.3% from beyond the arc.  Jayson Tatum is in a major shooting slump, missing every 3 pointer in his past 3 games.  It would be great if he can break out of that slump in this game. 

Honorable Mention

Grant Williams vs Montrezl Harrell
This is a matchup of key players off the bench.  Harrell is averaging 14.5 points, 7.2 rebounds, and 2.2 assists.  He is shooting 65.3% from the field and 28.6% from beyond the arc.  In the first game between these two teams, Harrell had 25 points and 11 rebounds and in the second game, he put up 20 points and 14 rebounds.   The Celtics definitely need to slow him down in this one.  Grant is coming off one of his best games this season and the Celtics need him to continue to play well on both ends in this game.

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense is always the key to winning.  The Celtics have a defensive rating of 107.3 which is 5th in the league.  The Wizards are 22nd with a defensive rating of 111.0.   The Celtics play great defense at times in games and then let up and allow their opponents to score at will at other times.  The Wizards are 3rd in the league with 51.3 points in the paint.  The Celtics need to defend the paint without letting up on their perimeter defense.  It will take a lot more effort and dedication to defense on each player's part to play the type of consistent winning defense they need to. 

Rebounding - Rebounding is also always a key to winning.  Much of rebounding is effort and focus and the Celtics had neither in their first game against the Wizards, where they were out-rebounded 47-37, or in the second game where they were out-rebounded 62-54.   The Celtics must put out more effort to crash the boards and when they do, it usually filters down to the rest of their game as well. 

Focus and Effort - Much has been said by Ime Udoka, the players, the fans, and the media about the Celtics lack of effort in many of their games this season.  The players and coach all say they know they have to play harder and have more focus.  They have to focus on moving the ball carefully, on taking good shots, on going after loose balls and on playing the right way.  In the past, the Celtics would beat much better teams just because they played harder and put out more effort.  This season, the opposite has been true.  The Blazers, for example,  were depleted and shouldn't have won, but they were the team that played harder.   The Celtics must play with increased focus and effort if they expect to beat the Wizards. 

Be Aggressive - Along with putting in more effort and having better focus, the team has to be the more aggressive team.  They have to be more aggressive in going to the basket, in defending, in going for loose balls and just be more aggressive in general.  Too many times we see the Celtics standing around while their opponents run for a rebound or for a loose ball. They have to especially be aggressive in going to the basket if their outside shots aren't falling again.   The Celtics have to be the more aggressive team and they can't let the Wizards play harder than them. 

Teamwork - The Celtics need to play as a team on both ends of the court.  They need to move the ball and find the best shot on each possession.  They have to trust each other to make the right play.  They also have to play as a team on defense, not missing defensive assignments and backing each other up on defense. When the Celtics have fewer than 20 assists, they usually struggle.  They have to work as a team and play together on both offense and defense.  Hero ball usually doesn't end well. 

X-Factors
Coaching
-  They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.  It's time for Ime to do something different.  It would be good to change up the starting lineup to feature the two Jays, and the two Williams' and Marcus Smart and have Al and Dennis coming off the bench.  He needs to change things up because what he has been doing so far isn't working all that well. 

Officiating - Officiating is always an X-Factor.  Some refs call the game tight with a whistle on every little bit of contact.  Others let them play and allow more contact.  There are always some questionable calls as well.    The Celtics need to adjust to the way the game is being called and not play for fouls and not lose focus in the game over calls they think they should get. 

Re: Celtics (23-24) at Wizards (23-23) Game #48 2/23/22
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 09:51:24 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
Let's go Cs. Show Beal we don't need him with a strong win.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 09:52:00 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to  Silas   for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!!

Beat the Wizards!!!!! 

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 09:53:29 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
TP to  Silas   for being the first to post in the game thread!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!!!

Beat the Wizards!!!!!

FLCeltsFan thanks for the great thread as usual and a TP back at you.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 11:03:06 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
ANOTHER ONE FOR THE TANK! LET'S GO CELTICS!!!!!!!!!

TRUST IN UCHOKA
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 12:40:47 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Hopefully we get to see more of the young guys. Nesmith, PP and especially Romeo.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 12:52:56 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Hopefully we get to see more of the young guys. Nesmith, PP and especially Romeo.

I hope to but I guess he will do that only when Brad force him to do it in trading the vets. Until then we will have only a few minutes for one or another but nothing in big time crunch minutes, when they could improve more and show (or not show) more. Nesmith and Langford showed some flash lately. Less PP whose defense and lack of athleticsm will always be a big limitation I guess.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 12:55:18 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

I hope to but I guess he will do that only when Brad force him to do it in trading the vets. Until then we will have only a few minutes for one or another but nothing in big time crunch minutes, when they could improve more and show (or not show) more. Nesmith and Langford showed some flash lately. Less PP whose defense and lack of athleticsm will always be a big limitation I guess.

I doubt Brad does it. He's mentioned he doesn't think on-court playtime is the be all/end all for improvement.

I wouldn't argue with the results either. Jaylen and Timelord both made huge strides under Brad.

But would be great to see more Rome. Would mean he's gotten to a really good point in improving his game.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 01:18:06 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown

I doubt Brad does it. He's mentioned he doesn't think on-court playtime is the be all/end all for improvement.

I wouldn't argue with the results either. Jaylen and Timelord both made huge strides under Brad.

But would be great to see more Rome. Would mean he's gotten to a really good point in improving his game.

Yes but he mentioned also that Ime is doing pretty well, so I am not sure we have to listen what he mentions to the press  ;D  But you are rights the fact when he was coaching.

Ha I miss Brad as a coach even if sometimes he turned me crazy. Actually I really think Ime is good at some things where we criticized a lot Brad but catastrophic for things where Brad was one of the best.
When he says he is quiet happy with Ime in reality watching this offensive inability to adapt and create good off schems may in reality makes him crazy. He couldn't be GM and at the same time first assistant of Ime ?  ;D He would be at the same time his boss and his subordonee

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 01:22:11 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen

Yes but he mentioned also that Ime is doing pretty well, so I am not sure we have to listen what he mentions to the press  ;D  But you are rights the fact when he was coaching.

Ha I miss Brad as a coach even if sometimes he turned me crazy. Actually I really think Ime is good at some things where we criticized a lot Brad but catastrophic for things where Brad was one of the best.
When he says he is quiet happy with Ime in reality watching this offensive inability to adapt and create good off schems may in reality makes him crazy. He couldn't be GM and at the same time first assistant of Ime ?  ;D He would be at the same time his boss and his subordonee

I'm frustrated with Ime and sometimes critical, but I think he will improve

That said, I'm with you. Brad with this roster would do so much better. I could see it already. Schroeder and JRich and Horford are a much better supporting cast than anything Brad has had in the recent couple years.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 01:30:10 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
Yes we can't listen to all the siren of the fire Uchoka... If we are in the same position one year from now it is something else... Personnaly I don't trust him so much to become a correct offensive coach, but who knows? But Brad has also to make progress this team next year. We have to react then or we will really face all the posters fears (who most always speak in the short terms, like the celtics shows do).

I also think we underestimate, both the reason that made CBS do this choice and more, the impact of an elite coach like him decide to brutally leave the ship, did mentaly to this team... Ity is not hard top pass after CBS for a rookie coach, he was a very impacting coach in the way his team was playing.

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 01:40:17 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
I'm fine with him not being elite offensively, as long as he can get the team to be elite defensively.

Annoyingly, Jaylen's choke yesterday was insane. Leaving Rob Covington open like that.

If he can coach the team to be more clutch...Udoka says the right things, that he wants the team to play tough and have mental toughness...that's what I'd look for in a year.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2022, 01:40:43 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Rozier also did just fine with a very limited role early in his career.

The benefit of making trades to play young guys is not for their development, but for knowledge going forward in evaluating a team that may miss the playoffs.  The vets aren’t getting it done — can the young guys bring something that’s missing?

But Nesmith, for example, isn’t going to become a better player because all of a sudden he’s on the court more.  That’s going to happen in practice and the film room.  If he’s out of control in practice (and I bet he is), it’a not changing in a game.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2022, 01:51:58 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown

Rozier also did just fine with a very limited role early in his career.

The benefit of making trades to play young guys is not for their development, but for knowledge going forward in evaluating a team that may miss the playoffs.  The vets aren’t getting it done — can the young guys bring something that’s missing?

But Nesmith, for example, isn’t going to become a better player because all of a sudden he’s on the court more.  That’s going to happen in practice and the film room.  If he’s out of control in practice (and I bet he is), it’a not changing in a game.

Of course film  and practice are important, but are you sure about what you say ? I know it is a total different sport but in soccer, playing time is considered to be the best way to progress. Personnaly at least it is not that good for mental approach for a young player (and mental is a big part of the progress), who play good one match and don't see any playing time for long without knowing why (esp when vets struggle). But you are right, Brad didn't trust early young bucks but was a good caoch to make them progress. Maybe he thinks it is not good to make them play when they are too raw, but when time arrive playing time is still very important for progression.

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2022, 07:54:36 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I hope Ime just takes it upon himself to tweak the starting 5. Switch GWill with Al. At this point, GWill is more of a 3 point threat than Al. GWill being there could solve our slow starts - the Jays would have more room to operate.  It’s worth a shot I think.