Author Topic: Smart is the most important player in the finals.  (Read 2176 times)

Re: Smart is the most important player in the finals.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2022, 02:00:53 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I'm going to assume that Marcus is going to play "in control", like he has the majority of the season.  A few times in the Miami series he may have taken on too big of a shooting role, but overall he's been the best version of Marcus that we can hope for.

To me, the most important player is Timelord.  I think that our team is close to unbeatable when we have our starting five fully healthy.  He gives us a big interior presence and a rebounding advantage.  When he's out, it just changes the entire dynamic of our defense.  Neither Grant nor Theis can do what Rob does.

Agree completely.  With full health and high minutes for Rob, the Celtics are unbeatable (the healthy team that went on the second half historically high rated run).  Without him...could still struggle our way to 6 or 7 games with probable finals loss..   I think with him at full health the series is over in 5 or 6 in our favor.

If Rob Williams plays so well that he is the most important player on the court, good for us.  But I don't think the health of Rob Williams is more important than the health of Jayson Tatum.  I guess it is just semantics.  I agree that what we may get from Rob is highly variable due to his injury.

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2022, 02:11:26 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
No, he is not.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2022, 02:20:46 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I also think DWhite and Jaylen can potentially cover Steph, but Marcus is our first line of defense.
I don't think Jaylen is a good matchup for Steph. Jaylen is too big and slow navigating all the screens and off-ball movement of Curry.

I'm not sure how much better Pritchard would do. Big test for him in this series.
GSW will try and exploit this matchup. Jaylen has to play smart because his length is a strength for the C's.
The refs will also be HUGE in this series. Boston wants to grind it out and force turnovers whereas GSW want and up and down track meet. A more physical game benefits the C's. I am really concerned for late game execution. The C's need to have a killer instinct especially when playing on the road.

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2022, 03:42:05 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
Smart took the last 5 shots for the Celtics in game 7 not counting the offensive foul on the shot attempt by Jaylen. That should never happen. Smart should not be taking the last 5 shots in any playoff game unless they are layups. It's not like he had the hot hand or anything.
That's the shot Miami was giving the Celtics. Why do people keep blaming him for taking then? If he made one or two no one would say anything.  Maybe blame the rest of the team for not working for a better shot. Marcus does what it takes to win. Whether that is the pass to Tatum vs the Nets or taking an open shot in crunch time against the Heat. It's so unfair.

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2022, 03:45:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Smart took the last 5 shots for the Celtics in game 7 not counting the offensive foul on the shot attempt by Jaylen. That should never happen. Smart should not be taking the last 5 shots in any playoff game unless they are layups. It's not like he had the hot hand or anything.
That's the shot Miami was giving the Celtics. Why do people keep blaming him for taking then? If he made one or two no one would say anything.  Maybe blame the rest of the team for not working for a better shot. Marcus does what it takes to win. Whether that is the pass to Tatum vs the Nets or taking an open shot in crunch time against the Heat. It's so unfair.

Where were those shots in the shot clock? I thought they were early. If he makes two it is a different story.

He did make the clutch free throws to his credit.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 04:00:58 PM by liam »

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2022, 04:10:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm going to assume that Marcus is going to play "in control", like he has the majority of the season.  A few times in the Miami series he may have taken on too big of a shooting role, but overall he's been the best version of Marcus that we can hope for.

To me, the most important player is Timelord.  I think that our team is close to unbeatable when we have our starting five fully healthy.  He gives us a big interior presence and a rebounding advantage.  When he's out, it just changes the entire dynamic of our defense.  Neither Grant nor Theis can do what Rob does.

Agree completely.  With full health and high minutes for Rob, the Celtics are unbeatable (the healthy team that went on the second half historically high rated run).  Without him...could still struggle our way to 6 or 7 games with probable finals loss..   I think with him at full health the series is over in 5 or 6 in our favor.

If Rob Williams plays so well that he is the most important player on the court, good for us.  But I don't think the health of Rob Williams is more important than the health of Jayson Tatum.  I guess it is just semantics.  I agree that what we may get from Rob is highly variable due to his injury.

Yes, it’s semantics.  To me, we know what to reasonably expect from the Jays, Smart, Horford, etc.  But, Timelord is a giant variable.  If we have healthy Timelord, we’re amazing.  If we get injured Timelord, we’re just really, really good, but beatable.

But yes, if there’s something that changes the equation and makes JT into something less than a superstar, then that would hugely impact the series, regardless of Timelord.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2022, 04:15:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
As I've said elsewhere, I don't think Rob is all that important to Boston winning this series, because if Rob is needed, the series is already lost.  If Boston can't stop the Warriors from penetrating, then the Warriors are going to win because that penetration is going to lead to easy baskets at the hoop or open 3 pointers.  Boston has to stop the Warriors from penetrating to begin with, or they will lose.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip