Author Topic: Trailblazers (18-26) at Celtics (23-23) Game #47 1/21/22  (Read 29386 times)

Re: Trailblazers (18-26) at Celtics (23-23) Game #47 1/21/22
« Reply #570 on: January 22, 2022, 02:46:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The Cs don’t need Sabonis. They need a POINT GUARD. Like an actual above average starting NBA point guard. Not a bench ball pounder like Schroder. Not a shooting guard who can’t shoot like Smart. And not a bench chucked like Prichard.

A real point guard.

In terms of who might be available (so many PGs are just not going to be traded) I'd consider:

Jaylen Brown

for

Dejounte Murray
Zach Collins

Collins is a flyer, since he's coming off of some major injuries.  But if he is able to get healthy he could be a nice addition at power forward.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9ftwj3r

I am open to trading Jaylen for a PG. I just don't feel Dejounte Murray is good enough.

I feel it could improve the team in the short term (immediate sense) but hurt the team's long term objective of winning a title.

I'd rather have Jaylen as a long term piece to build around than Dejounte Murray. As we add more talent to the team I believe Jaylen can better adapt and maintain his impact than Murray can. The reason for this is Murray's bad scoring efficiency. I am too lazy to look up the exact number but I believe it is something like 5% below average TS%. A huge difference. And his high assists numbers will shrink if he is not taking all those shots because he won't have the ball in his hands as much anymore. He'll maintain his defense & rebounding but his offense will shrink. Not just reduce but shrink. His scoring sucks. The only reason he gets to shoot so much is that the Spurs have so little talent on their roster.

The long term objectives of winning a Championship has to take priority over short term needs (balancing roster by getting a true PG).
His passing improvement has not come because he has had more opportunities to shoot. It's his first season as the lead ball-handler
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #571 on: January 22, 2022, 02:48:52 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Glade I made no effort to watch .

Not a fun team to cheer for anymore.

Was a strange game. If you go back in the game thread you’ll see comments from the middle of the game about how fun it was for a while. Energy on defense that forced turnovers: they ran on the to’s and after missed shots, getting great transition buckets. Grant and Romeo made impactful plays. Really good vibe and a big run.

Then the bottom just fell out. The game was about 24 minutes of enjoyable, feel-good basketball inside of two slices of moldy bread.

« Reply #572 on: January 22, 2022, 06:25:24 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82

The Cs don’t need Sabonis. They need a POINT GUARD. Like an actual above average starting NBA point guard. Not a bench ball pounder like Schroder. Not a shooting guard who can’t shoot like Smart. And not a bench chucked like Prichard.

A real point guard.

In terms of who might be available (so many PGs are just not going to be traded) I'd consider:

Jaylen Brown

for

Dejounte Murray
Zach Collins

Collins is a flyer, since he's coming off of some major injuries.  But if he is able to get healthy he could be a nice addition at power forward.

I am open to trading Jaylen for a PG. I just don't feel Dejounte Murray is good enough.

I feel it could improve the team in the short term (immediate sense) but hurt the team's long term objective of winning a title.

I'd rather have Jaylen as a long term piece to build around than Dejounte Murray. As we add more talent to the team I believe Jaylen can better adapt and maintain his impact than Murray can. The reason for this is Murray's bad scoring efficiency. I am too lazy to look up the exact number but I believe it is something like 5% below average TS%. A huge difference. And his high assists numbers will shrink if he is not taking all those shots because he won't have the ball in his hands as much anymore. He'll maintain his defense & rebounding but his offense will shrink. Not just reduce but shrink. His scoring sucks. The only reason he gets to shoot so much is that the Spurs have so little talent on their roster.

The long term objectives of winning a Championship has to take priority over short term needs (balancing roster by getting a true PG).

I'm not sure how valid folks feel about Hollinger's stats but according to this Murray is pretty good (#4) relative to other point guards:

http://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/pg

« Reply #573 on: January 22, 2022, 06:52:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

A real point guard.

Jaylen Brown

for

Dejounte Murray
Zach Collins

His passing improvement has not come because he has had more opportunities to shoot. It's his first season as the lead ball-handler

How much he shoots has a large influence on how much he has the ball in his hands. If he shoots less, he'll have the ball in his hands less. If he has the ball less, he has less opportunities to get assists.

His assists are inflated from having a large scoring role that he would not have on a top team because his scoring sucks.