Author Topic: Rumor: Raptors and Pacers discuss trade involving OG Anunoby and Myles Turner  (Read 4637 times)

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Anunoby would be an awesome PF to have on this team next to Tatum & Jaylen on the wings.

Is he actually a PF?  He is list at 6'-7", 232 lbs.  I am not sure that he is the answer to our PF issue.

As for trading him for Turner, seems Indy wins that by a mile.

Yes, he’s a PF.  He’s strong and has a 7’2” wingspan.  Standing reach is 8’11”.5, or 1/2 inch shorter than Bam Adebayo’s.

OK, I will take your word for it but he seems like more of a swing at best.

As to the Fournier TPE, it is $17.1M and Anunoby makes $16.1M so yes, he actually fits quite nicely in the TPE.  I am not sure if we could trade Robert Williams as he is a base year contract.  I suppose if we take in Anunoby with the TPE, that it could work out.

I don't know enough about Anunoby's game to judge this.  I know I wouldn't trade Williams for Turner.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Anunoby would be an awesome PF to have on this team next to Tatum & Jaylen on the wings.

Is he actually a PF?  He is list at 6'-7", 232 lbs.  I am not sure that he is the answer to our PF issue.

Yes, he’s a PF.  He’s strong and has a 7’2” wingspan.  Standing reach is 8’11”.5, or 1/2 inch shorter than Bam Adebayo’s.

As to the Fournier TPE, it is $17.1M and Anunoby makes $16.1M so yes, he actually fits quite nicely in the TPE.  I am not sure if we could trade Robert Williams as he is a base year contract.  I suppose if we take in Anunoby with the TPE, that it could work out.

I don't know enough about Anunoby's game to judge this.  I know I wouldn't trade Williams for Turner.
Yeah we basically fit Anunoby into the TPE and then trade Williams back to Toronto into the newly created TPE.  Might take a draft pick as well given Williams is always hurt.

Or maybe it is OG into TPE for pick and then the second trade is Dragic for Schroder, Hernangomez, and Williams.  So Toronto keeps the whole TPE and Boston gets out of Hernangomez next year and gets a guy they have Bird rights on as a vet PG (who is a much better shooter).  Obviously that would depend on what Dragic is out for and if he'd come back this year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I mean, you don’t have to take my word for it.  Here’s the link to the NBA combine testing.

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/?SeasonYear=2017-18&sort=STANDING_REACH&dir=1

His standing reach was an inch taller than John Collins, and he was 7 pounds heavier at the draft.  Weights change, of course, but standing reach doesn’t.  You’re a little too hung up about height when it comes to PFs, I think, when what matters most is reach and length, which Anunoby has in spades.  (A half inch more reach than Horford).

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

I mean, you don’t have to take my word for it.  Here’s the link to the NBA combine testing.

https://www.nba.com/stats/draft/combine-anthro/?SeasonYear=2017-18&sort=STANDING_REACH&dir=1

His standing reach was an inch taller than John Collins, and he was 7 pounds heavier at the draft.  Weights change, of course, but standing reach doesn’t.  You’re a little too hung up about height when it comes to PFs, I think, when what matters most is reach and length, which Anunoby has in spades.  (A half inch more reach than Horford).

I am not doubting the dimensions that you quoted but he is listed as a small forward.  Just because he has long arms does not mean that his natural position is PF.

Based on line up stats, he is mostly on the floor with Achiuwa (PF/C) and Barnes (Listed as SF) and second most with Siakam (PF) and Barnes.  I am not sure who in those line ups is the actual PF but as I said, I am taking your word for it that he is or can be a PF.  Barnes does average 8 rebs per game and Anunoby only 5 rebs per game so which one is more of a PF and which is more of a wing?

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I am not doubting the dimensions that you quoted but he is listed as a small forward.  Just because he has long arms does not mean that his natural position is PF.

Based on line up stats, he is mostly on the floor with Achiuwa (PF/C) and Barnes (Listed as SF) and second most with Siakam (PF) and Barnes.  I am not sure who in those line ups is the actual PF but as I said, I am taking your word for it that he is or can be a PF.  Barnes does average 8 rebs per game and Anunoby only 5 rebs per game so which one is more of a PF and which is more of a wing?

Fair point.  I’m arguing that he’s a PF, but that Toronto has a bunch of players who are PFs, and it’s why I think he might be a better fit on a team where he could primarily play that position, and it’s why the Turner-Anunoby rumor makes some sense to me.  Turner would be a true 5 next to a true 4 in Toronto, and Anunoby could be a true 4 in Indy, letting Sabonis spend the time at the 5 where both he and the team thrive.  Anunoby can resemble a wing more than Siakam can, but that doesn’t mean it’s his best position.

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Yeah we basically fit Anunoby into the TPE and then trade Williams back to Toronto into the newly created TPE.  Might take a draft pick as well given Williams is always hurt.

Timelord has played in about 25% more games than OG over the past two seasons. Williams also went through a bought of COVID last year.

If Rob is always hurt, so are a looooooot of other NBA players.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 05:14:43 PM by todd_days_41 »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Do they want Romeo Langford lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Anunoby is a forward. He can play both. It is not one or the other. He is a combo forward.

What allows him play the PF the most is his exceptional strength. The guy is phenomenally strong. This is what most allows him to matchup against guys who are taller than him and hold his own. They can't bully / overpower him.

He has principally played the SF position in Toronto but he has played minutes at PF as well and he has played very well there. The main reason he has not played more there is because of Pascal Siakam.

One of the main benefits for Anunoby of playing PF instead of SF is his skills relative to his position / opponent in terms of ball-handling, passing and shot-creation measure higher against the lower skilled PFs than higher (perimeter) skilled SFs. So your team gets a boost in offensive efficiency / output and he individually gets a boost in his offensive output while not hurting you defensively because of his incredible physical attributes at 6-7 and tenacity defensively.

On the Celtics, Anunoby would primarily play PF and do the dirty work so that Tatum and Jaylen do not have to. Anunoby would guard all the big time PFs on opposing teams. He and Tatum are switchable enough defensively that against weaker PFs that they could switch matchups so that Anunoby could defend a top SF (say to defend Jimmy Butler while Tatum defends PJ Tucker down in Miami). Anunoby is one of the toughest defensive forwards in the league.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I’d be shocked to see Toronto trade OG for Sabonis let along Turner. OG is the most coveted NBA archetype.

I think a Siakam for Turner and Lamb based deal makes a lot more sense.

As for the Celtics I would trade any combination of players on this current roster other then the Jays without a second thought. He is the perfect fit next to Tatum and Brown.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:57:40 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Online Who

• James Naismith
I'd love to float Smart out there and see if we could steal Turner or Anunoby.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Smart for Anunoby would be highway robbery
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Smart for Anunoby would be highway robbery
We could offer both Smart and Timelord and I bet the Raps would still say no. Fwiw, I proposed this idea in a Raps forum a few months ago. All posters were quick to dismiss it. The Raps consider OG an integral part of their future core. I can't blame them. He's a terrific 2-way swing.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
He hasn’t even been on my radar for trades but I love Anunoby. Hard to believe Toronto is even thinking about moving him.

Online Who

• James Naismith
Throw a Rob Williams for Anunoby trade proposal. See if Toronto like Rob more than they like Myles Turner.

I'd happily do that trade.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Throw a Rob Williams for Anunoby trade proposal. See if Toronto like Rob more than they like Myles Turner.

I'd happily do that trade.

Yeaaaah but I think Timelord has more upside than Anunoby so don't want to trade him.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)