Author Topic: Paul George may be out for season  (Read 3802 times)

Re: Paul George may be out for season
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 08:24:28 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
What about:

Horford for Kennard, Zubac, and Batum?  We’d have to send them an asset in addition, but waiving/stretching Horford would help them clear a lot of salary next year.  They’ll never get down to having cap space, but that combined with waiving/stretching Bledsoe would get them to be about $15 million clear of the tax next year (they’re currently $24 million above.)

It’s not exciting but it could work.

Does it get more exciting if I add that we’d get a $27 million TPE for Horford, by using the Fournier, Thompson, and Theis exceptions to get back the players in this deal?
How do the Clippers acquire Horford if you do those as separate deals?

Teams can construct the deals differently to their own purposes.  C’s can use their TPEs, Clippers use salaries to match for Horford.
But the C's would have to do 3 separate trades and you can't combine TPE's so the Clippers can't acquire Horford using them combined.  Which means 1 individual trade would have to have enough salary going out for the Clippers.  You can do that trade, but you can't do that trade using the C's TPE's.

Yes, you can.  I’m not sure what else to tell you.

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 09:20:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
What about:

Horford for Kennard, Zubac, and Batum?  We’d have to send them an asset in addition, but waiving/stretching Horford would help them clear a lot of salary next year.  They’ll never get down to having cap space, but that combined with waiving/stretching Bledsoe would get them to be about $15 million clear of the tax next year (they’re currently $24 million above.)

Does it get more exciting if I add that we’d get a $27 million TPE for Horford, by using the Fournier, Thompson, and Theis exceptions to get back the players in this deal?

Teams can construct the deals differently to their own purposes.  C’s can use their TPEs, Clippers use salaries to match for Horford.
But the C's would have to do 3 separate trades and you can't combine TPE's so the Clippers can't acquire Horford using them combined.  Which means 1 individual trade would have to have enough salary going out for the Clippers.  You can do that trade, but you can't do that trade using the C's TPE's.

what is the rule that allows that.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 09:28:42 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 09:48:43 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
What about:

It is important to view a trade separately from each team's perspective, rather than as a single, unified transaction. This is because the same trade may be organized differently according to each team's needs. For example, a trade might be classified as a simultaneous trade from one team's perspective, but from the other team's perspective it's actually broken into two separate trades, one simultaneous and the other non-simultaneous, completing a trade they started months earlier.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q85

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2022, 11:30:36 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
What about:

Yes I would say it does.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2022, 11:55:39 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
What about:

Yes I would say it does.

So, if I follow correctly, we could trade Horford, Nesmith (LAC TPE), and Romeo (LAC TPE) out, and take back Kennard (BOS TPE), Batum (BOS TPE), and Zubac (BOS TPE) and it qualifies under league rules, yet net's us a full TPE back for Horford? Seems like stretching the rules....

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2022, 12:42:45 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
What about:

Yes I would say it does.

So, if I follow correctly, we could trade Horford, Nesmith (LAC TPE), and Romeo (LAC TPE) out, and take back Kennard (BOS TPE), Batum (BOS TPE), and Zubac (BOS TPE) and it qualifies under league rules, yet net's us a full TPE back for Horford? Seems like stretching the rules....

Not sure about the guys you’re adding in.  I haven’t done that math.  What I’m saying is Horford for those 3 players works and gets us a TPE, because we’re taking on those salaries as non-simultaneous trades finishing off the Daniel Theis, Tristan Thompson, and Evan Fournier trades, respectively.  And that means we wouldn’t use Horford to bring in salary in this trade, so we’d have an exception equal to his salary for a future trade within the next calendar year.

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 12:58:51 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
If Kawhi becomes available at the deadline (maybe the training staff tried pulling the same stunt the Spurs did and he secretly wants out in a state of fury), can we please trade JB for him this time? When healthy, Playoff Kawhi would be unstoppable alongside Tatum. And he gets to be the Lakers’ arch-nemesis.

JB, Langford, Hernangomez, three first-round picks, three first-round pick swaps:

Schröder/Buyout ring-chasing vet
Smart/Richardson
Leonard/Richardson
Tatum/G. Williams
Timelord/Horford

Above is good enough to win it all. This year. THIS year.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 01:05:20 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2022, 05:17:25 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
If Kawhi becomes available at the deadline (maybe the training staff tried pulling the same stunt the Spurs did and he secretly wants out in a state of fury), can we please trade JB for him this time? When healthy, Playoff Kawhi would be unstoppable alongside Tatum. And he gets to be the Lakers’ arch-nemesis.

JB, Langford, Hernangomez, three first-round picks, three first-round pick swaps:

Smart/Richardson
Leonard/Richardson
Tatum/G. Williams
Timelord/Horford

Isn't Kawhii out for the season?

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2022, 07:06:57 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What about:

It is important to view a trade separately from each team's perspective, rather than as a single, unified transaction. This is because the same trade may be organized differently according to each team's needs. For example, a trade might be classified as a simultaneous trade from one team's perspective, but from the other team's perspective it's actually broken into two separate trades, one simultaneous and the other non-simultaneous, completing a trade they started months earlier.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q85

Yeah, I first learned about this rule during the BOS-BRK trade.  We got a large trade exception for Paul Pierce.

Each team can structure the trade however it wants.  It's a weird rule to me, but it can be fun to play around with when making hypothetical trades.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2022, 08:32:58 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Maybe we can finally land Winslow on the cheap instead of almost giving up multiple firsts to trade for him years ago. Lol He seems like he might be playing better recently though I haven’t been following too closely. Brandon Boston could be a nice catch, though it sounds like they want to keep their young players.

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2022, 09:31:06 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Smart/Richardson
Leonard/Richardson
Tatum/G. Williams
Timelord/Horford

Isn't Kawhii out for the season?
His camp says there is the possibility that he will return this year.