Author Topic: Paul George may be out for season  (Read 3806 times)

Paul George may be out for season
« on: January 12, 2022, 04:30:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Story now they may be sellers. Any potential fits for us?

"They're pretty much open for business for anyone except their main guys and Terance Mann. I think they really are fine falling out of the playoffs and regrouping for next year," said one Western Conference official. "I think they're trying to shed the Marcus Morrises of the world, guys that have some value and maybe can replace them with younger talent, maybe cheaper [contracts], to free them to get someone else this summer.

Re: Paul George may be out for season
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 04:51:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It would be nice to somehow snag Kennard without giving up major assets. He kind of duplicates the role that Richardson currently plays but he's much better than Nesmith or Langford, obviously. He's under control for a couple more seasons, I believe, at a reasonable price.  His shooting would be very valuable to have, although his lack of value in other areas would compound some other problems the Celtics have.

That said I don't exactly see the point in giving up assets to improve the 6-10 spots in the rotation.  Big issue for the team right now is the lack of a primary ballhandler / decisionmaker. Would also be ideal to improve the starting lineup apart from Tatum/Brown/Rob.  Smart and Horford are good but both probably ideally suited to playing a "super role player" bench role.

I don't think it's likely that Brad can really fix those issues at the trade deadline.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 05:01:27 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 04:54:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Oh my god. The return of Marcus Morris and even more isolation bball! NO!!! The ball movement is bad enough already.

Stay away.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 05:03:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
This Leonard george pairing has to be going worse than they could have imagined.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 05:24:16 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Story now they may be sellers. Any potential fits for us?

"They're pretty much open for business for anyone except their main guys and Terance Mann. I think they really are fine falling out of the playoffs and regrouping for next year," said one Western Conference official. "I think they're trying to shed the Marcus Morrises of the world, guys that have some value and maybe can replace them with younger talent, maybe cheaper [contracts], to free them to get someone else this summer.

Really hard to find any fit/value for the Celtics from their roster. Maybe trade for Kennard?
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 05:30:02 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Serge Ibaka is a free agent after this season so wouldn’t mind take a flier on him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 05:43:34 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Serge Ibaka is a free agent after this season so wouldn’t mind take a flier on him

I imagine a number of contenders will have the same thoughts
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 05:47:45 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
What about:

Horford for Kennard, Zubac, and Batum?  We’d have to send them an asset in addition, but waiving/stretching Horford would help them clear a lot of salary next year.  They’ll never get down to having cap space, but that combined with waiving/stretching Bledsoe would get them to be about $15 million clear of the tax next year (they’re currently $24 million above.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 05:53:37 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 05:54:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
What about:

Horford for Kennard, Zubac, and Batum?  We’d have to send them an asset in addition, but waiving/stretching Horford would help them clear a lot of salary next year.  They’ll never get down to having cap space, but that combined with waiving/stretching Bledsoe would get them to be about $15 million clear of the tax next year (they’re currently $24 million above.)

It’s not exciting but it could work.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 05:58:35 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
What about:

Does it get more exciting if I add that we’d get a $27 million TPE for Horford, by using the Fournier, Thompson, and Theis exceptions to get back the players in this deal?

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 07:27:24 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
OKC has their (unprotected) pick too, so missing the playoffs could be extra painful.

Honestly, if Steve Ballmer had to do everything over again, I’m curious if he just moves the Clippers to Seattle.

Remember Ballmer originally tried to purchase the Sonics before it was sold and moved to Oklahoma.

Perhaps it’s a sliding doors moment in NBA history, I wonder if Durant returns to the Seattle had Ballmer relocated the Clippers, instead of the Golden State Warriors.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 07:32:54 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 09:05:34 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
What about:

Does it get more exciting if I add that we’d get a $27 million TPE for Horford, by using the Fournier, Thompson, and Theis exceptions to get back the players in this deal?
How do the Clippers acquire Horford if you do those as separate deals?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 09:11:34 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I'd rather just do

Zubac, Kennard for Hernangomez, Schroder, Langford, Fernando, 22 1st (lotto)

I think that makes more sense for both teams. 

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2022, 09:25:36 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
What about:

Teams can construct the deals differently to their own purposes.  C’s can use their TPEs, Clippers use salaries to match for Horford.

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 08:08:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
What about:

Teams can construct the deals differently to their own purposes.  C’s can use their TPEs, Clippers use salaries to match for Horford.
But the C's would have to do 3 separate trades and you can't combine TPE's so the Clippers can't acquire Horford using them combined.  Which means 1 individual trade would have to have enough salary going out for the Clippers.  You can do that trade, but you can't do that trade using the C's TPE's.