Author Topic: January 20th Trade Ideas  (Read 9443 times)

Re: January 20th Trade Ideas
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2022, 06:05:46 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
No one wants PJ Washington? Surprising.

Sure but at what cost?

Smart for Washington, Ish Smith, 2nd round pick.

Hmm. I suspect Charlotte could get a 1st rounder for a player still on his rookie deal.

No one ever said Jordan makes thoughtful decisions. Washington is a little stuck behind Bridges, and Charlotte sorely) lacks defense and toughness. Smart would slip right into next to Ball, with Scary Terry coming off the bench to relieve either as 6th man.

Why move Terry to the bench when he's played so well as a starter for them? Quite frankly, I don't see why Charlotte bothers with this deal at all, let alone overpays. Smart doesn't really fit their offensive philosophy (pace, ball movement, player movement, good shooting).

And for the record, Jordan isn't the GM. That's Mitch Kupchak. Clown their decisions all you'd like, but they've assembled a fun and entertaining team with a chance to overachieve.

I'm aware Jordan ins't the GM. But when the owner of the team is the greatest ever to play, you can bet he's involved in the decision making.

Fair point about Rozier. However, as it pertains to Smart's fit, no one is acquiring him under their "offensive philosophy" unless that plan is Laying Bricks. Where he does fit is here:

https://www.lineups.com/nba/team-rankings/defense

Charlotte is an awful defensive team. If they're serious about contending in the East, Mrrs. Kupcheck and Jordan would know they're going to need to improve there. Adding Smart is a significant step in the right direction, and I'm not sure Washington and Smith is much of an overpay.

It's no secret Charlotte may have to face the music and trade a young guy or two, and Washington is often identified as the most likely. They simply can't afford to pay everyone they have. Smart is locked in for years at reasonable market value. And trading Washington with a 1.5 on his rookie deal maximizes his value. Local media seems resigned to the fact he'll be traded at some point.

Smith is a binkie, but hardly of high value. I'd love to see him in green.

This is where we disagree on what Smart really brings. Smart still flashes moments of All-Defensive play, but he isn't the defender he was a few years ago. For all the took of him as the heart and soul of our team, we haven't seen a big hit to our in defense since he's been out. His reputation has outweighed his actual production for some time.

I think he makes more sense as a gamble for Atlanta because they already have Clint Capela as their anchor in the paint - it wouldn't be solely on Marcus to fix their defense or "establish a culture".
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2022, 06:13:50 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Sure but at what cost?

Hmm. I suspect Charlotte could get a 1st rounder for a player still on his rookie deal.

No one ever said Jordan makes thoughtful decisions. Washington is a little stuck behind Bridges, and Charlotte sorely) lacks defense and toughness. Smart would slip right into next to Ball, with Scary Terry coming off the bench to relieve either as 6th man.

Why move Terry to the bench when he's played so well as a starter for them? Quite frankly, I don't see why Charlotte bothers with this deal at all, let alone overpays. Smart doesn't really fit their offensive philosophy (pace, ball movement, player movement, good shooting).

And for the record, Jordan isn't the GM. That's Mitch Kupchak. Clown their decisions all you'd like, but they've assembled a fun and entertaining team with a chance to overachieve.

I'm aware Jordan ins't the GM. But when the owner of the team is the greatest ever to play, you can bet he's involved in the decision making.

Fair point about Rozier. However, as it pertains to Smart's fit, no one is acquiring him under their "offensive philosophy" unless that plan is Laying Bricks. Where he does fit is here:

Charlotte is an awful defensive team. If they're serious about contending in the East, Mrrs. Kupcheck and Jordan would know they're going to need to improve there. Adding Smart is a significant step in the right direction, and I'm not sure Washington and Smith is much of an overpay.

It's no secret Charlotte may have to face the music and trade a young guy or two, and Washington is often identified as the most likely. They simply can't afford to pay everyone they have. Smart is locked in for years at reasonable market value. And trading Washington with a 1.5 on his rookie deal maximizes his value. Local media seems resigned to the fact he'll be traded at some point.

This is where we disagree on what Smart really brings. Smart still flashes moments of All-Defensive play, but he isn't the defender he was a few years ago. For all the took of him as the heart and soul of our team, we haven't seen a big hit to our in defense since he's been out. His reputation has outweighed his actual production for some time.

I think he makes more sense as a gamble for Atlanta because they already have Clint Capela as their anchor in the paint - it wouldn't be solely on Marcus to fix their defense or "establish a culture".

I think Smart still has significant value in the league.  Especially a contender.  Smart can definitely win a playoff game at the end with plays I still don't see other players make.  Teams like GSW, Milwaukee etc would love Smart.  Teams like Charlotte Atlanta who have playoff caliber teams would live a defensive anchor like Smart.  I know he frustrates the hell out of me sometimes but I love Smart.  He will be one of my favorite celtics of all time but he's our best asset and best chance at getting a young player to build with the js off of a team who wants to go all in.  Even a buddy hield for smart swap would work and if Sacramento is hell bent on trying to make the play in he makes aoy of sense culturally.  I think smart is more valuable then some people on here think.  I'd rather move smart then jrich.

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2022, 06:23:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
A team would want to have a lot of scoring to absorb a player like Marcus Smart.

I don't think Atlanta or Charlotte are teams like that.

Hard to make Smart work with low skilled offensive center. That is two limited offensive threats - puts a lot of pressure on the three other guys. That is why I don't think Smart & Rob Williams have a future here together. One guy we can make work. Both? In 30mpg roles? Hard to do.

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2022, 06:24:57 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Sure but at what cost?

I think Smart still has significant value in the league.  Especially a contender.  Smart can definitely win a playoff game at the end with plays I still don't see other players make.  Teams like GSW, Milwaukee etc would love Smart.  Teams like Charlotte Atlanta who have playoff caliber teams would live a defensive anchor like Smart.  I know he frustrates the hell out of me sometimes but I love Smart.  He will be one of my favorite celtics of all time but he's our best asset and best chance at getting a young player to build with the js off of a team who wants to go all in.  Even a buddy hield for smart swap would work and if Sacramento is hell bent on trying to make the play in he makes aoy of sense culturally.  I think smart is more valuable then some people on here think.  I'd rather move smart then jrich.

Smart has value to a specific type of team because he has big flaws in his game. He's not the type of role player that you can just plug in on any roster, unfortunately. I agree that he'd do well on a team like GSW - that's a legit contender with the offensive firepower to offset his struggles there. But what is the realistic package you're getting back there? You're not getting a Kuminga or Wiseman. Maybe you can get them to give up their own 1st, which projects to be a late 1st and salary filler.

Charlotte - to me - isn't a contender and I think management there is perfectly content to be a playoff team that can generate ticket sales and revenue. To be a contender in this league, you're committing to being a luxury tax team and not all owners are willing or are interested in that. I can see them moving PJ for sure, but not for a player like Marcus. They have a more glaring need for depth at center and I think they'll jump into the Myles Turner conversation.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2022, 06:47:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When I see posters say that Smart is their favorite Celtic of all-time(or one of), I can't help but smile and think, "This guy must be real young!"

Of course, that doesn't make my thought true, but it is what I think whenever I read that.

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2022, 07:20:04 PM »

Offline testy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Probably Smart and Neismith foe Hield , something is up ?

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2022, 01:20:15 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I have a trade idea:

Celtics trade: 2022 1st round pick (Top 10 Protected, rolls to 2023), Enes Freedom, 2022 second round pick, 2024 second round pick

San Antonio trades: Tre Jones, Greg Popovich

« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2022, 01:59:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Just a quick trade idea, Smart and Bruno to the Kings for Davion Mitchell and Marvin Bagley III. This gives the Kings a defensive-minded vet and gives the Celtics a young point and young big.

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2022, 02:04:36 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Just a quick trade idea, Smart and Bruno to the Kings for Davion Mitchell and Marvin Bagley III. This gives the Kings a defensive-minded vet and gives the Celtics a young point and young big.
of all the trades I’ve seen, I actually like this one..TP
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2022, 02:06:07 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

Why would the Kings trade Mitchell in his rookie year?

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2022, 02:16:20 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I don't like that idea for either side to be honest. 

The Kings don't need Smart.  They already have a logjam at the guard positions and he doesn't fit well next to Fox. 

We don't need Bagley and Mitchell.  Our outside shooting is enough of a problem as it is.  You've actually found a way to make it even worse, despite the fact that we'd be moving out Smart in this deal. 

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2022, 02:19:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Why would the Kings trade Mitchell in his rookie year?

To speed up the team making the playoffs. Rookies are still rookies.

« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2022, 02:24:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I don't like that idea for either side to be honest. 

The Kings don't need Smart.  They already have a logjam at the guard positions and he doesn't fit well next to Fox. 

We don't need Bagley and Mitchell.  Our outside shooting is enough of a problem as it is.  You've actually found a way to make it even worse, despite the fact that we'd be moving out Smart in this deal.

I don't think it makes the shooting worse as  Mitchell shoots the same as Smart and Bruno doesn't play. I would rather add shooters too. Just a thought...

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2022, 02:39:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If we trade Smart, ATL is a much more logical landing spot than SAC.

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2022, 09:38:00 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
I wonder whether some version of the following could be done?

Cs trade: Smart, Richardson, Nesmith, 2 seconds
Cs receive: Brunson, Hield

Mavs trade: Brunson, Powell
Mavs receive: Smart, Len (or James), 2nd round pick

Kings trade: Hield, Len (or James)
Kings receive: Richardson, Powell, Nesmith, 2nd round pick

For this deal to work, the Kings have to see Nesmith as a talented player glued to the bench behind veterans (not a guy who can’t crack the rotation). I’m also presuming the Cs can get a top-half-of-the-2nd-round-pick for Schroder, then send it to the Kings in the deal at 2:59pm on Feb 10th.