Author Topic: January 20th Trade Ideas  (Read 9484 times)

Re: January 20th Trade Ideas
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 12:08:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Wonder if Atlanta would be interested in a deal around Smart and Bogdanovich.

It makes sense, right?  Neither is having a very good year, but both do things that the acquiring team could really use.  I don't watch enough of the Hawks to know why Bogdanovic has cratered this season, but if he can get back to the way he was playing last season, he'd be very useful and a great fit for us.  And the Hawks sorely need a defensive presence in their lineup next to Trae. 

We'd also need to set up a second trade for a legitimate PG.

I haven't watched a ton of Atlanta this season either, but it seems the whole team has taken a step back. Not sure if the coach has lost the team already, but it's odd.

Smart would make sense next to Trae in the backcourt as the primary guard defender and secondary ballhandler. Bogdan has been a credible shooter in the past and he would give the Jays spacing, and he's solid playmaker - kind of a Hayward-lite. Not sure what type of draft compensation would be needed, but it's something that should be considered from both sides.

Hawks need to upgrade their defensive, so it is thought they have interest in Smart. Don't know what we could get in return.  I'd be down with Boggie.

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 01:02:27 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
No one wants PJ Washington? Surprising.

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 02:09:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hate to burst any bubbles but the date Smart becomes eligible to be traded is actually Jan. 25th...per Spotrac.

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 02:18:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Sure but at what cost?

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 02:29:49 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

Sure but at what cost?

Smart for Washington, Ish Smith, 2nd round pick.

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 02:55:48 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

Sure but at what cost?

I'd rather try to pry Kuminga off GSW for Smart.

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 02:56:30 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Sure but at what cost?

Hmm. I suspect Charlotte could get a 1st rounder for a player still on his rookie deal.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 03:01:35 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1672

Sure but at what cost?

I'd rather try to pry Kuminga off GSW for Smart.

So would I.  Unfortunately, the Warriors aren't incompetent. 

Smart arguably isn't even a positive asset with his new contract.  Meanwhile, Kuminga is a 7th overall pick who has quietly been killing it lately.  Kid looks very good.  Smart doesn't even start a conversation.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2022, 03:49:21 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Hate to burst any bubbles but the date Smart becomes eligible to be traded is actually Jan. 25th...per Spotrac.

ESPN Trade Machine says 1/20.  I've always been under the impression (from saltlover when he used to post) that Spotrac was often inaccurate.

But what's the rule anyway?  I thought it was 3 months from signing or December 15th whichever is later, but Smart signed 8/21, so that would be the Dec 15th date. 

Or is it the Jan 15th date because the C's were over the cap? Confused about this one because under #101 on CBA FAQ on the bullet point where they list the Jan 15th date, there's multiple criteria ending with an "and" and not an "or" so I think you'd have to meet all the criteria and Smart didn't get a 20% raise (at least going from the last year of his current deal to first year of next).

Either way not sue what would push it somewhere between 1/20-1/25.  The only thing I can think of is 1/20 is 3 months from the start of the Celtics season and maybe there's different rules for extensions for guys that aren't free agents? But I don't see that rule when quickly browsing CBA FAQ.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2022, 03:57:12 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

ESPN Trade Machine says 1/20.  I've always been under the impression (from saltlover when he used to post) that Spotrac was often inaccurate.

But what's the rule anyway?  I thought it was 3 months from signing or December 15th whichever is later, but Smart signed 8/21, so that would be the Dec 15th date. 

Or is it the Jan 15th date because the C's were over the cap? Confused about this one because under #101 on CBA FAQ on the bullet point where they list the Jan 15th date, there's multiple criteria ending with an "and" and not an "or" so I think you'd have to meet all the criteria and Smart didn't get a 20% raise (at least going from the last year of his current deal to first year of next).

Either way not sue what would push it somewhere between 1/20-1/25.  The only thing I can think of is 1/20 is 3 months from the start of the Celtics season and maybe there's different rules for extensions for guys that aren't free agents? But I don't see that rule when quickly browsing CBA FAQ.

Nick's right -- Bobby Marks confirms.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/32753924/every-nba-player-becomes-eligible-traded-dec-15-ahead-nba-trade-deadline

five            more              days

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2022, 03:59:20 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

Sure but at what cost?

Hmm. I suspect Charlotte could get a 1st rounder for a player still on his rookie deal.

No one ever said Jordan makes thoughtful decisions. Washington is a little stuck behind Bridges, and Charlotte sorely) lacks defense and toughness. Smart would slip right into next to Ball, with Scary Terry coming off the bench to relieve either as 6th man.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2022, 03:59:58 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Nick's right -- Bobby Marks confirms.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/32753924/every-nba-player-becomes-eligible-traded-dec-15-ahead-nba-trade-deadline

five            more              days

That's an insider article so I can't see it, does it mention the reason that puts it at 1/25?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2022, 04:22:28 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Sure but at what cost?

No one ever said Jordan makes thoughtful decisions. Washington is a little stuck behind Bridges, and Charlotte sorely) lacks defense and toughness. Smart would slip right into next to Ball, with Scary Terry coming off the bench to relieve either as 6th man.

Why move Terry to the bench when he's played so well as a starter for them? Quite frankly, I don't see why Charlotte bothers with this deal at all, let alone overpays. Smart doesn't really fit their offensive philosophy (pace, ball movement, player movement, good shooting).

And for the record, Jordan isn't the GM. That's Mitch Kupchak. Clown their decisions all you'd like, but they've assembled a fun and entertaining team with a chance to overachieve.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2022, 05:09:16 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
The Hawks have loads of offense but are terrible on defense. I send the Smart and J Rich for John Collins. This gets us another couple of million under the cap and beefs up our front court. It thins out the back court but Pritchard can play backup point minutes and Romeo and Nesmith can man the shooting guard and small forward spots. I also like Thomas as the 3rd string point.

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2022, 05:18:30 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

Sure but at what cost?

Why move Terry to the bench when he's played so well as a starter for them? Quite frankly, I don't see why Charlotte bothers with this deal at all, let alone overpays. Smart doesn't really fit their offensive philosophy (pace, ball movement, player movement, good shooting).

And for the record, Jordan isn't the GM. That's Mitch Kupchak. Clown their decisions all you'd like, but they've assembled a fun and entertaining team with a chance to overachieve.

I'm aware Jordan ins't the GM. But when the owner of the team is the greatest ever to play, you can bet he's involved in the decision making.

Fair point about Rozier. However, as it pertains to Smart's fit, no one is acquiring him under their "offensive philosophy" unless that plan is Laying Bricks. Where he does fit is here:

https://www.lineups.com/nba/team-rankings/defense

Charlotte is an awful defensive team. If they're serious about contending in the East, Mrrs. Kupcheck and Jordan would know they're going to need to improve there. Adding Smart is a significant step in the right direction, and I'm not sure Washington and Smith is much of an overpay.

It's no secret Charlotte may have to face the music and trade a young guy or two, and Washington is often identified as the most likely. They simply can't afford to pay everyone they have. Smart is locked in for years at reasonable market value. And trading Washington with a 1.5 on his rookie deal maximizes his value. Local media seems resigned to the fact he'll be traded at some point.

Smith is a binkie, but hardly of high value. I'd love to see him in green.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 05:37:38 PM by todd_days_41 »