Author Topic: Search for a new point guard  (Read 14444 times)

Re: Search for a new point guard
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2022, 03:00:33 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Bumping this thread again, because I believe it's our biggest concern forward.

The main thing we have to avoid is just getting what's available.
That's basically how Detroit ended up with Griffin and others with Westbrook.
These moves as a result of panic and opportunity backfired.

On the other hand you have moves where franchises went out of their way to make a specific addition to the team.
Examples are Phoenix (Paul), Utah (Conley) and Milwaukee (Holiday).

So even though the Celtics (under Ainge) have a reputation of making 'winning' trades I don't think that should be a primary focus. Getting the right player is.

However, it's a question which players should be targeted and also whether they're available for a somewhat reasonable price. The market is still an issue. Maybe what's needed is not out there. Doing nothing is better than doing something stupid.

My view is that for instance trading for Damian Lillard could be a better move (despite his age and huge contract) than getting De'Aaron Fox for relatively cheap who might be a bad fit.

Ps: In my previous post on the first page of this topic I did mention Fox as a third option, but now I disagree with that. If the Celtics were in a different stage (like Houston, New York or New Orleans) it would be a different story.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 03:10:55 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2022, 03:31:19 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

On the other hand you have moves where franchises went out of their way to make a specific addition to the team.

So even though the Celtics (under Ainge) have a reputation of making 'winning' trades I don't think that should be a primary focus. Getting the right player is.

However, it's a question which players should be targeted and also whether they're available for a somewhat reasonable price. The market is still an issue. Maybe what's needed is not out there. Doing nothing is better than doing something stupid.

My view is that for instance trading for Damian Lillard could be a better move (despite his age and huge contract) than getting De'Aaron Fox for relatively cheap who might be a bad fit.

Ps: In my previous post on the first page of this topic I did mention Fox as a third option, but now I disagree with that. If the Celtics were in a different stage (like Houston, New York or New Orleans) it would be a different story.

Question.. who is the 76ers point guard this season? They seem to be doing fine without one and has no issues taking care of the C’s last night. 
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2022, 03:36:45 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Question.. who is the 76ers point guard this season? They seem to be doing fine without one and has no issues taking care of the C’s last night.

Maxey is their point guard with Milton as back-up.

« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2022, 04:05:55 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
DeAaron Fox would be my #1 realistic priority.. only 24 plus Kings look like the going be sellers again
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2022, 04:07:31 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Maxey is their point guard with Milton as back-up.

Ben Simmons was the point guard. Maxey is a combo guard averaging 4apg. You don’t need a legit PG to have success in the NBA. Just need good offensive schemes and ball movement which the C’s do not have consistently.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 04:48:42 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2022, 04:22:31 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
A couple of people here have proposed trading for Wall.  While that’s not ideal because it would handcuff us financially, I do find the idea interesting.  I don’t know of another way to get that level of a point guard.  I also want to exhaust all other ideas before trading away either Jay.  Wall has averaged over 10 assists per game 3 times and he might be able to make our offense flow.

« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2022, 05:11:37 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The new point guard is gonna have to come in the draft, IMO.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2022, 05:27:54 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

C’s are more than likely picking outside of the top 10, So I’m not sure drafting a point guard and waiting 2-3 years for them to develop is the best plan.

« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2022, 06:18:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

C’s are more than likely picking outside of the top 10, So I’m not sure drafting a point guard and waiting 2-3 years for them to develop is the best plan.
Heaps of guards recently drafted outside the top 10 have contributed immediately. Mitchell, SGA, Haliburton, Cole Anthony, Duarte (a SG, but a guard), Maxey, Herro, Brunson, and DeJounte Murray have all been able to contribute from early on.

Blake Wesley and TyTy Washington are both near our current draft range. Would happily draft either of them.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2022, 07:03:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I don't see a better option out there.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2022, 07:44:00 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
A name that's almost never mentioned, but how good is Derrick White?

A package deal for White + Poeltl ($26M in salaries)?

The Spurs aren't any good right now. These are the guys who could bring back some decent (draft) assets.
Makes some sense for them.

« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2022, 07:52:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Ty Ty Washington looks like the real deal.

« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2022, 07:54:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
A name that's almost never mentioned, but how good is Derrick White?

A package deal for White + Poeltl ($26M in salaries)?

The Spurs aren't any good right now. These are the guys who could bring back some decent (draft) assets.
Makes some sense for them.
I love Poeltl, but White is a merely okay passer with very inconsistent shooting. Not sure he's what we need.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2022, 08:06:36 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
ESPN's stat guru Kevin Pelton posted today about teams looking to make aggressive moves at the trade deadline

As for the Celtics, I'm amused by the notion Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum are too similar to work together. Wasn't that the whole appeal of the LA Clippers pairing Paul George and Kawhi Leonard? Granted, the Clippers' wing duo hasn't yet achieved the kind of playoff success forecast when they teamed up, but they looked like a formidable postseason opponent before Leonard's partial ACL tear last spring.

Given Brown is 25 and Tatum won't turn 24 until March, giving them time to continue their development together -- preferably with a better playmaker at point guard than we've seen since injuries sidetracked Kemba Walker's career -- appears the wisest course of action.

I'm convinced we need a better floor general and I don't trust Smart in that role, though I'd prefer to keep him if possible for his defense.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 08:12:18 PM by colincb »

« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2022, 10:53:07 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Rondo was the 21st pick and was a starter on the title team 2 years later. So it isn’t crazy either.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens