Author Topic: Search for a new point guard  (Read 14423 times)

Re: Search for a new point guard
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2022, 08:58:29 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Lonzo Ball would be great fit here..Fox would be a good cheap option..Murray of Spurs will get a big contract from them but live have him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2022, 09:00:54 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Lonzo Ball would be great fit here..Fox would be a good cheap option..Murray of Spurs will get a big contract from them but live have him

Ball gets a lot of coverage here, but that ship has sailed. Chicago has no reason to trade Ball.

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2022, 09:03:28 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
Halliburton is a PG. At this point, he’s probably untouchable. We should have aggressively traded up to get him in the draft, but instead — we have Aaron Nosmith.

We also should have taken Cole Anthony. But instead — we have Aaron Nosmith.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 09:10:33 AM by todd_days_41 »

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2022, 09:06:12 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
What does that mean? What is cheap? What type of trade package do you think it'll take to get Fox?

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2022, 09:11:37 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
What does that mean? What is cheap? What type of trade package do you think it'll take to get Fox?

Could the Cs get Fox without giving up Tatum, Brown or Williams III? I think not.

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2022, 09:45:27 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72

Could the Cs get Fox without giving up Tatum, Brown or Williams III? I think not.

I have been coming around on Fox being the guy. Here is a speculative article (not rumor) that outlines 3 potential trades: https://sportsnaut.com/sacramento-kings-deaaron-fox-trade-destinations/amp/

Smart + Nesmith + (2) 1st round picks (which seems like a little overpay but I would co-sign)

Re: Search for a new young point guard
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2022, 10:25:55 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Is below remotely realistic? Smart and Richardson aren't trade eligible yet. While the Raptors would probably look to trade Siakam as well if they trade VanVleet.

4 1st round picks for two non-All Stars (this year) is bad. We aren't in the same spot Milwaukee was when giving up a ton for Holiday.

I want to re-frame this a bit. It is giving up 4 1st round picks for 2  Jrue Holidays.

I'd put Siakam on a par with Jrue and VanVleet close by. Both guys are young and can be long term fixtures next to the Jays while competing for Championships for the next 5-8 years.

That is well worth giving up 4 1st round picks for.

Yes, we are not in the same place as Milwaukee pre-trade; a team that is one piece away from winning a title. But post-trade, Boston would be a team that could challenge for a title for several years to come.

G: VanVleet, Pritchard
G: Jaylen, Smart, Mykhailiuk
F: Tatum, Josh Richardson
F: Siakam, Grant Williams
C: Rob Williams, (free agent), Enes Kanter

That deal definitely makes us much better and a no-brainer to me. Honestly, though, I would even give up Jaylen if we could get both FVV and Siakam. Tatum becomes the undisputed leader of our team, while we have two borderline All-Stars at 2 and 3. Of course we don't give up any 1sts if we went this route - which I assume also has Al on the move. We'd still have solid role players and contracts to trade, as well as all of our 1sts.

Re: Search for a new young point guard
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2022, 10:39:38 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Is below remotely realistic? Smart and Richardson aren't trade eligible yet. While the Raptors would probably look to trade Siakam as well if they trade VanVleet.

4 1st round picks for two non-All Stars (this year) is bad. We aren't in the same spot Milwaukee was when giving up a ton for Holiday.

I want to re-frame this a bit. It is giving up 4 1st round picks for 2  Jrue Holidays.

I'd put Siakam on a par with Jrue and VanVleet close by. Both guys are young and can be long term fixtures next to the Jays while competing for Championships for the next 5-8 years.

That is well worth giving up 4 1st round picks for.

Yes, we are not in the same place as Milwaukee pre-trade; a team that is one piece away from winning a title. But post-trade, Boston would be a team that could challenge for a title for several years to come.

G: VanVleet, Pritchard
G: Jaylen, Smart, Mykhailiuk
F: Tatum, Josh Richardson
F: Siakam, Grant Williams
C: Rob Williams, (free agent), Enes Kanter

That deal definitely makes us much better and a no-brainer to me. Honestly, though, I would even give up Jaylen if we could get both FVV and Siakam. Tatum becomes the undisputed leader of our team, while we have two borderline All-Stars at 2 and 3. Of course we don't give up any 1sts if we went this route - which I assume also has Al on the move. We'd still have solid role players and contracts to trade, as well as all of our 1sts.

My only point is that there are larger questions surrounding the Celtics than simply "get one more piece" (or in this case two).

The Celtics need a few months of healthy basketball -- and therefore a valid assessment of what we have here with Tatum, Brown, Smart, Williams, and RWIII -- before the management feels like they can reasonably take a home run swing with a trade like above.

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2022, 10:43:01 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton

I have been coming around on Fox being the guy. Here is a speculative article (not rumor) that outlines 3 potential trades: https://sportsnaut.com/sacramento-kings-deaaron-fox-trade-destinations/amp/

Smart + Nesmith + (2) 1st round picks (which seems like a little overpay but I would co-sign)

The Kings are never taking that deal.

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2022, 11:15:17 AM »

• Al Horford

The Kings are never taking that deal.

Why not? Jrue Holiday was Eric Bledsoe Sam Merrill (late 2nd), 2-1st round picks and 2-1st round pick swaps.

Smart is a cheaper, younger version of Bledsoe (slightly less offense, slightly more defense) and is cost controlled and locked in for several more years for a rebuilding young team. Nesmith is a mid 1st, 2 1sts… our package is absent pick swaps. But Fox is also a lesser player than Jrue.

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2022, 11:50:19 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I know I'm way out the norm but if they keep the mix of Schro, PP, and Smart (add in Yam next year) things might be alright. Ime just needs to get a good game out of one of them for the game to be in C's favor.

Problem is when none are on and the Jays are sloppy. It really kills the offense. I hope TL and Al become high post dime droppers that see more touches so the need for playmaker at PG is less. Need to alternate them instead of playing them together to create a system where things always click.

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2022, 11:53:46 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I wonder if in the 2022 offseason, this hypothetical trade would solve our point guard issues:

Celtics: Kyle Lowry, Duncan Robinson, PJ Tucker

Heat: Al Horford, Marcus Smart

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Celtics

Williams III
Tatum
Brown
Robinson
Lowry

Richardson, Prichard, Williams, (FA centre), Tucker, Langford, Nesmith, Hernangomez,

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

It is strange that although our team looks much more balanced here, it somehow feels like the Heat would win this trade.
no more old PGs or players who are 32 or older

We would be swapping a 35 & 27 year old for a 35 & 27 year old.

Like Horford, Lowry’s game isn’t predicated on speed or athleticism, so his age isn’t too much of an issue.

Perhaps Lowry is the leader that Tatum & Brown finally listen to.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2022, 11:57:58 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Our new point guard is already on the team.

His name is Rob Williams. The Dimelord.

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2022, 12:36:04 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I wouldn’t mind Schroeder as a starter & Pritchard as a backup.. go get a legit BIG & some vets for the bench
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2022, 01:19:49 PM »

• Al Horford
I wonder if in the 2022 offseason, this hypothetical trade would solve our point guard issues:

Celtics: Kyle Lowry, Duncan Robinson, PJ Tucker

Heat: Al Horford, Marcus Smart

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Celtics

Williams III
Tatum
Brown
Robinson
Lowry

Richardson, Prichard, Williams, (FA centre), Tucker, Langford, Nesmith, Hernangomez,

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

It is strange that although our team looks much more balanced here, it somehow feels like the Heat would win this trade.
no more old PGs or players who are 32 or older

We would be swapping a 35 & 27 year old for a 35 & 27 year old.

Like Horford, Lowry’s game isn’t predicated on speed or athleticism, so his age isn’t too much of an issue.

Perhaps Lowry is the leader that Tatum & Brown finally listen to.

Would I like that trade? Sure. Is it even slightly realistic? No.

Any trade that sees Pat Riley improving the Celtics is just completely unrealistic.