Author Topic: Search for a new point guard  (Read 14425 times)

Re: Search for a new young point guard
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 05:37:29 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This team needs a veteran, playoff hardened floor general, not a new, young shiny PG that has barely sniffed a playoff game. They need a floor general that commands respect from the Jays.

While I agree, that’s a difficult role to fill.  CP3, Lowry, Conley.  Those guys aren’t moving.  Rubio just got hurt and Rondo just moved to replace him (and I don’t know what kind of relationship he has with Stevens, given how he left Boston). 

Maybe we could call Toronto about Vanvleet?  That’s about as close as I can think of to that skillset and veteran clout (only 27, but a champion) while possibly being obtainable.

Brogdon is reportedly the only player the Pacers don't want to trade, but he'd fit that role.

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2022, 05:49:51 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
This team needs a veteran, playoff hardened floor general, not a new, young shiny PG that has barely sniffed a playoff game. They need a floor general that commands respect from the Jays.

So you're looking at the Paul, Lowry, Conley, Rose, Westbrook, Curry, Harden, Lillard, Holiday, McCollum(?), Brogdon, Beal(?), Dinwiddie and VanVleet group?

Considering the success (or lack of success) of their respective teams I think Westbrook, Lillard, Brogdon and VanVleet are your realistic candidates? If so, who do you like (also considering price tag)?
Or perhaps are you considering McCollum or Beal as lead floor general?

Btw: Fred VanVleet is proven and is likeable. The advanced stats love him. Are the Raptors our potential trading partner? Would they trade their best player to a main rival to acquire assets to build around Scottie Barnes?

Ps: I've changed the title to "Search for a new point guard"

« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 06:04:00 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2022, 05:50:43 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674

While I agree, that’s a difficult role to fill.  CP3, Lowry, Conley.  Those guys aren’t moving.  Rubio just got hurt and Rondo just moved to replace him (and I don’t know what kind of relationship he has with Stevens, given how he left Boston). 

Maybe we could call Toronto about Vanvleet?  That’s about as close as I can think of to that skillset and veteran clout (only 27, but a champion) while possibly being obtainable.

Brogdon is reportedly the only player the Pacers don't want to trade, but he'd fit that role.

Yeah, he just signed an extension a few months ago, right?  Can’t imagine the Pacers want to move him already.  But I’d be interested if he were obtainable.

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2022, 05:57:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

The player I thought mostly liked with what the direction was heading.

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2022, 06:33:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

So you're looking at the Paul, Lowry, Conley, Rose, Westbrook, Curry, Harden, Lillard, Holiday, McCollum(?), Brogdon, Beal(?), Dinwiddie and VanVleet group?

Considering the success (or lack of success) of their respective teams I think Westbrook, Lillard, Brogdon and VanVleet are your realistic candidates? If so, who do you like (also considering price tag)?

Btw: Fred VanVleet is proven and is likeable. The advanced stats love him. Are the Raptors our potential trading partner? Would they trade their best player to a main rival to acquire assets to build around Scottie Barnes?

VanVleet or Lillard would be my targets. VanVleet might be the more obtainable target and possibly the better fit.

Re: Search for a new point guard
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2022, 06:36:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Brogdon is not able to be traded until April 18th, so trading for him for this season is impossible.

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2022, 06:41:19 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

VanVleet or Lillard would be my targets. VanVleet might be the more obtainable target and possibly the better fit.

I like Fred VanVleet’s fit for the Celtic, but I can’t see him being a viable option for a trade.

VanVleet is surprisingly 27 going on 28 (February) and he’s on a 21 million contract, so we wouldn’t have the matching assets to make a worthwhile trade.

Toronto looked over Suggs in the draft, partially because I’m sure they were happy with VanVleet. Dragic also wants to be waived or traded soon, so if Toronto were to move VanVleet, they would be without a point guard.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 06:46:51 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2022, 06:44:06 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I'm starting to think this season is lost, so the Celtics shouldn't try to acquire a veteran in a "win now" move until this summer.

Just keep building up PP and Smart and trade Schroeder.

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2022, 06:45:43 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

Is below remotely realistic? Smart and Richardson aren't trade eligible yet. While the Raptors would probably look to trade Siakam as well if they trade VanVleet.

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2022, 06:49:40 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I'm starting to think this season is lost, so the Celtics shouldn't try to acquire a veteran in a "win now" move until this summer.

Just keep building up PP and Smart and trade Schroeder.

Knowing Wyc, at some point they will move Schroder, simply to remove the Celtics from the luxury tax threshold.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2022, 06:54:18 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
Is below remotely realistic? Smart and Richardson aren't trade eligible yet. While the Raptors would probably look to trade Siakam as well if they trade VanVleet.

4 1st round picks for two non-All Stars (this year) is bad. We aren't in the same spot Milwaukee was when giving up a ton for Holiday.

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2022, 07:04:35 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

4 1st round picks for two non-All Stars (this year) is bad. We aren't in the same spot Milwaukee was when giving up a ton for Holiday.

Is this closer in your opinion (keep in mind that the Raptors are trading their two current best players to a rival):

To Boston: VanVleet, Siakam, Mykhailiuk
To Toronto: Horford, Schröder, Hernangomez, Nesmith + '22 1st + '24 1st (1-4 prot) + '26 1st (1-4 prot)

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2022, 07:08:15 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
Is this closer in your opinion (keep in mind that the Raptors are trading their two current best players to a rival):

To Boston: VanVleet, Siakam, Mykhailiuk
To Toronto: Horford, Schröder, Hernangomez, Nesmith + '22 1st + '24 1st (1-4 prot) + '26 1st (1-4 prot)

I would do that. I don't know if Toronto would, though.

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2022, 07:09:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Side question: How much difference is there between VanVleet and Jrue Holiday?

Jrue's extra size gives him more switchability on defense than VanVleet but VanVleet is about as switchable as a small PG can be. Great toughness, competitiveness and physical strength. VanVleet while not as good as Jrue defensively is very good in his own right. Both man-to-man and on team D.

I'd take VanVleet over Jrue on offense at this point. I prefer VanVleet's three point shooting over Jrue's - particularly his ability to shoot off the dribble and from 3-5 feet behind the three point line to give added spacing to the court which also create increased volume in attempts and makes. I also prefer VanVleet's dribble penetration and his passing is on a par with Jrue's. Jrue has a superior midrange scoring. 

It is amazing how much VanVleet has improved that this is even a question.

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2022, 07:14:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I love VanVleet, but it would cost us too much to get him.

Our best bet is to move Schroder and groom Pritchard for the starting PG role.