Poll

You alone decide: should Ime go?

Yes….right now!
21 (21%)
Maybe, but not right now.
33 (33%)
No, not even close to enough time to evaluate him.
38 (38%)
No way, love the guy.
8 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: February 23, 2022, 05:45:52 PM

Author Topic: Ime has got to go!  (Read 82990 times)

Re: Ime has got to go!
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2022, 08:37:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I am a bit surprised, but happy, by this news on twitter....

Tweet

@HalfCourtHoops

The Boston Celtics are the #1 team in the NBA in After Time Out Situations - part 1 in a new series breaking down their favorite sets.

Boston Celtics ATOs: Creative Guard Design

https://twitter.com/HalfCourtHoops/status/1484591369691803656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1484591369691803656%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2022, 08:54:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Tweet

@HalfCourtHoops

The Boston Celtics are the #1 team in the NBA in After Time Out Situations - part 1 in a new series breaking down their favorite sets.

https://twitter.com/HalfCourtHoops/status/1484591369691803656?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1484591369691803656%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Take this and fifty cents to Starbucks and you still don’t get a Frappuccino.

« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2022, 09:17:20 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Tweet

@HalfCourtHoops

From the article: “ After Time Out data is wildly inconsistent without hand-tracking but I always love the insight on what teams are the best in these situations even with the data just from Synergy’s tracking.”

Sounds pretty bogus.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2022, 11:06:30 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Tweet

@HalfCourtHoops

After Time Out data is wildly inconsistent without hand-tracking but I always love the insight on what teams are the best in these situations even with the data just from Synergy’s tracking.

Translation: I know that this stat is pretty ****, but it's something that I can use to vouch for the vibe man!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:16:29 PM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2022, 11:08:30 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I think you need to try changing the coach before you break up the Jays. But in his defense, he has a lousy roster and he can't shoot the ball for Tatum.
It's like cutting into space to punish defences for sagging off of you isn't a thing in basketball ::)

I've seen countless posts trying to take bullets for the vibe man and Brad Pitino by saying that this roster can't shoot threes, but I've seen no attempt to make defences pay by actually moving into the paint with timely cuts that can't be easily walled off by plain numbers.
The roster is fine. It’s the coaches job to make the pieces work together and he is unable to do so. Bulls are a half a game out of first in the East. They have the best 3pt shooting percentage In the league and they take the least amount of 3’s out of any team in the NBA. You don’t need to jack up 40 shots from 3pt a game to win. Having a “live and die by the 3” offense has not worked for the C’s all year, yet they keep going to this strategy over and over again.

Defensively, the C’s are OK. We are like a football team that has a defensive coordinator, but not an offensive coordinator. Offensively, the team looks like a bunch of guys playing pickup. Udoka is Setting the players up to fail.
Merely okay though - if our coach is doing an average job on defence while being completely woeful on offence he should be fired.
When I said defensively, they are OK, I meant that they are fine on that end. Better than fine most games, as they are currently the 8th best defense in the NBA. Unfortunately, Udoka is completely incompetent offensively, though.
That's mainly due to personnel though - individual brilliance has been carrying us on defence. The Dallas Mavericks have the 4th best defence in the league with Kristaps Porzingis and Dorian Finney-Smith being their best defenders - now that's fine defensive coaching.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2022, 11:09:09 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I get that firing him mid-season is unrealistic, but there is no way he sees next season at this rate. He is clearly way out of his league
Never doubt Scroogebeck and Brad Pitino!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #231 on: January 23, 2022, 03:14:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I get that firing him mid-season is unrealistic, but there is no way he sees next season at this rate. He is clearly way out of his league
Scroogebeck is funny (and depressing)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #232 on: January 23, 2022, 04:49:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Scroogebeck is funny (and depressing)
More depressing thing is how he hasn't been gotten destroyed by the past, present and future yet.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #233 on: January 31, 2022, 09:50:25 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I know ime is doing well recently but somebody's gotta make one of these for him, cos NBA memes are what it's all about

Ime has got to STAY!
« Reply #234 on: February 02, 2022, 12:04:21 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Ime is an outstanding coach. Know how I know?

Because the team plays defense (currently fourth in the league). A team that tunes out its coach dogs it on defense. Not your Boston Celtics 2022. People seem to have forgotten what so many were saying in November - that a switch-heavy scheme could not possibly work.

Boston currently leads the LEAGUE in ATO efficiency, at 1.01 points per possession, according to Synergy. That's probably the purest measure of effective playcalling.

The team is better than its record. Know how I know?

Because Boston's point differential is third in the East. That stat is a better predictor of playoff success than w/l record. A point differential like theirs would in a large sample size convert to a record of 32-20.

Neither measure is very good at evaluating a head coach - though, let's face it, it's the w/l record that really lies behind most of the naysayers' nays about Mr. Udoka.

I know better than to ask the Boston Sports Fan to have faith. It's been a strange season, with a lot of adversity. As Brad is fond of saying, "each season is its own entity"; and the many health issues don't fully explain the lackluster record, or Tatum's epic shooting slump, or the collapse of fourth-quarter execution. Nor do the recent blowout victories give much more than a hint of what might be the future of the team, since they've been against weak and weakened opponents.

The fundamentals are good. The chip is on the shoulder.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #235 on: February 02, 2022, 02:28:13 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
Tp

It's taken them a while but the defense is suffocating recently. There were stretches where their team defense essentially looked like a zone because they were so disciplined recently. Just no gaps for the opponent.

« Reply #236 on: February 03, 2022, 12:24:59 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
A clutch win against Charlotte

Come a long way from the chokers last season

But still a long, long way to go

« Reply #237 on: February 03, 2022, 12:52:53 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730

Tweet

@HalfCourtHoops

Huh ?

Ime's ATO plays consist of giving Tatum the ball and clearing everyone else out of the way so he can go 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 or however many defenders he dribbles into before putting up a heavily-contested step-back fadeaway of some sort.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #238 on: February 03, 2022, 12:56:29 AM »

Kiorrik

Tweet

@HalfCourtHoops

Huh ?

Ime's ATO plays consist of giving Tatum the ball and clearing everyone else out of the way so he can go 1-on-1 or 1-on-2 or however many defenders he dribbles into before putting up a heavily-contested step-back fadeaway of some sort.

Question. Does ATO also include on defense?

Because THOSE I'll agree we are occasionally really great on. I've seen us smother opposing teams in that situation more than once.

« Reply #239 on: February 03, 2022, 01:10:19 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Tweet

@HalfCourtHoops

Huh ?

Maybe Tatum is awesome at iso?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)