Author Topic: If 76ers lose to ATL, trade for Ben Simmons?  (Read 3682 times)

Re: If 76ers lose to ATL, trade for Ben Simmons?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 10:42:30 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If Philly were to trade Simmons, why would they dump him?

Would we trade Jaylen Brown for a broken down undersized defensive liability overpaid PG and mediocre picks/youth? NO!!!

If we trade Jaylen Brown, we trade him for either (1) a similar up and coming star like himself (2) an established superstar.

Philly will do the same with Ben Simmons. You are not getting him for 50c on the dollar. They are not dumping him.

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 11:55:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm not interested in Ben Simmons.  Players who can't shoot aren't going to be the difference between your team being good and your team being great unless they are absolutely freakishly dominant.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2021, 02:11:02 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
I'm not interested in Ben Simmons.  Players who can't shoot aren't going to be the difference between your team being good and your team being great unless they are absolutely freakishly dominant.
On the other hand, this team really needs a pass first PG. Unfortunately it won't be him.

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2021, 02:30:19 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
If the 76ers lose  a Lilliard for Simmons swap will make sense for both teams. CJ, Powell, Covington, Simmons and Nurkic fit well together and Dame/Embiid would be an ideal pairing.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2021, 03:44:09 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Simmons and Embiid are not only just fine together when they have the appropriate style of player around them but quite simply they are fantastic together. 

Embiid and Simmons played 1164 minutes together this year, their net rating was 15.5 with ORTG of 118.2 and a DRTG of 102.8.  The only duos with a higher net rating and at least 500 minutes, were all on the Jazz and Clippers.

That was also the case in 17-18 before they acquired Butler and wrecked the chemistry and what makes Embiid and Simmons work.  They need catch and shoot players around them.  They need guys that don't need the ball to be effective.  The Sixers downgraded their talent last summer, but significantly improved the fit and you can see the result. 

Now that doesn't mean they won't move Simmons because he is the only guy that has any sort of value (outside of Embiid).  They really probably need to upgrade Harris.  They need someone that can maintain the offense when Embiid is on the bench and Harris isn't good enough in that role (and that obviously isn't Simmons' game).

Can you see them beating nets with current roster?

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2021, 03:46:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If the 76ers lose  a Lilliard for Simmons swap will make sense for both teams. CJ, Powell, Covington, Simmons and Nurkic fit well together and Dame/Embiid would be an ideal pairing.
would need a lot more going to Portland than just Simmons to make that even something worth considering for Portland

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2021, 03:50:11 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
How bout Tobias?
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2021, 04:04:13 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
How bout Tobias?

I think the sixers would be smart to move Harris for a lead guard and play Simmons at PF.

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 04:23:23 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
How bout Tobias?

I think the sixers would be smart to move Harris for a lead guard and play Simmons at PF.

I don’t actually think it’ll happen and I don’t actually think Harris is some immediate salve, but I’d do it… without checking how much time is left on his deal… he’s a starter on a title team IMO. Smart/Brown/Tatum/Harris/Time Lord is actually an interesting starting 5.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2021, 10:06:25 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Simmons and Embiid are not only just fine together when they have the appropriate style of player around them but quite simply they are fantastic together. 

Embiid and Simmons played 1164 minutes together this year, their net rating was 15.5 with ORTG of 118.2 and a DRTG of 102.8.  The only duos with a higher net rating and at least 500 minutes, were all on the Jazz and Clippers.

That was also the case in 17-18 before they acquired Butler and wrecked the chemistry and what makes Embiid and Simmons work.  They need catch and shoot players around them.  They need guys that don't need the ball to be effective.  The Sixers downgraded their talent last summer, but significantly improved the fit and you can see the result. 

Now that doesn't mean they won't move Simmons because he is the only guy that has any sort of value (outside of Embiid).  They really probably need to upgrade Harris.  They need someone that can maintain the offense when Embiid is on the bench and Harris isn't good enough in that role (and that obviously isn't Simmons' game).

Can you see them beating nets with current roster?
Depends on Embiid, I think.  If he is 100%, I think he could average 40 a game, and that very well might be good enough especially if the shooters remember how to shoot.  That is the problem the Bucks are having right now, they can't hit the broad side of a barn.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2021, 11:52:38 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Can we trade Kemba for Tobias Harris lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2021, 09:58:22 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
How bout Tobias?

I don’t actually think it’ll happen and I don’t actually think Harris is some immediate salve, but I’d do it… without checking how much time is left on his deal… he’s a starter on a title team IMO. Smart/Brown/Tatum/Harris/Time Lord is actually an interesting starting 5.

isn't Harris just a slightly better Morris?

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2021, 10:02:56 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26

I think Portland would prefer to keep Lilliard and trade CJ and Nurkic. The west is wide open right now, have someone like Lilliard will give Portland a chance to contend.

plus like others said Lilliard worth quite a bit more than Simmons

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2021, 10:04:24 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
How bout Tobias?

isn't Harris just a slightly better Morris?
No.  Harris is a lot better than Morris.  I've actually proposed a Walker for Harris swap before.  I think it makes a great deal of sense for both teams.  Harris is much better suited as a 3rd scorer, but he is the #2 guy in Philly and he can't sustain the offense at all when Embiid sits.  I think Walker would fit a lot better on the Sixers since he can be a legit #2 scoring option and can at least keep them afloat as a #1 when Embiid isn't in the game.  Similarly, Harris at PF makes a lot of sense on Boston.  He is a more consistent and healthier player and his style of play is much more conducive in that 3rd scorer role.  Boston also needs a PF so Tatum can play his more natural SF position.  Harris makes a lot of money and probably isn't worth his contract, but that applies to Walker as well.  If the Sixers would do a straight swap, I'd probably do it.  I'd rather have Porzingis, but Harris makes sense as well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip