Author Topic: 2021 Draft  (Read 69849 times)

2021 Draft
« on: April 22, 2021, 11:48:20 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
While I am normally really into the NBA draft this year I have noticed I suffered a draft hang over from the never ending 2020 draft. I am just starting to research this draft and my early feeling is that it will be a really difficult class to project. The top 5 players all look like studs who would have been near locks to go #1 in 2020. My next 3 Barnes, Johnson, and Wagner feel like solid picks given their youth and the positional value of big wings. After those first 8 picks this class becomes wide open. I'm basing a lot of my early rankings off of the pick ranges currently predicted by Chad Ford, over time this will evolve into more of my tiered board.

I highligted some players who I like as possible Celtics

1   Cunningham
2    Mobley
3   Suggs
4   Kuminga
5   Green

6   Barnes
7   J Johnson
8   F Wagner

9   D Mitchell
10   K Johnson
11   Kisper
12   M Moody
13   K Jones
14   I Jackson
15   Cooper
16   Bouknight
17   Garuba
18   Giddey
19   Sengun very young and productive Turkich center, if he can shoot could be a nice starter in NBA
20   J Butler
21   J Springer young combo guard who needs to improve shot but has intriguing physical profile
22   C Thomas
23   G Brown 6'9 super athlete raw but plays a high value position
24   Z Williams kind of flopped based of highschool hype but has high ceiling
25   J Christopher
26   Santos big Brazilian wing who reportedly can shoot
27    Juzang
28   J Ayayi
29   Prkacin
30   Boston didn't produce in college but was a preseason lotto porspect, elite athlete
31   T Mann
32   M Mayer
33    M Bagely only played 12 games this season but showed potential as a big 3pt shooting wing
34   Dosunmu
35   T Clarke
36   Petrusev
37   Duke
38   D Johnson
39   McBride
40   Nix
41   Queta
42   Shannon Jr
43   Sharpe
44   Huff could be a more athletic Kornet
45   Hukporti
46   Begarun
47   Robinson-Earl
48   Jokubaitis
49   Bassey
50   Mathurin
51   A Henry
52   M Hurt
53   S Lewis
54   Pons
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: 2021 Draft
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 01:11:12 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This feels like a draft that could have some steals. With the way the year has gone there could be a lot of late bloomers. I know DA has a history of ranking HS stars above their college work alone so maybe his strategy gets a star late round finally.

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 01:49:46 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
This feels like a draft that could have some steals. With the way the year has gone there could be a lot of late bloomers. I know DA has a history of ranking HS stars above their college work alone so maybe his strategy gets a star late round finally.

It's going to be a very tough draft for GMs to evaluate.  The conditions that different conferences, schools, and players experienced throughout the year were immense, and for many freshmen that disruption goes back to last spring.  On top of that, teams have had little, if any, ability to sit in on practices or attend games to see the players in person.  The draft is always a bit of a crap shoot, but this year seems more that way than most, and a lot of teams are going to rely on their high school scouting reports.

The Celtics are very much a team that scouts high school prospects, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them draft someone like Williams or Boston, and lean on their view of those players as high schoolers rather than their very broken freshman seasons.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 02:16:46 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

It's going to be a very tough draft for GMs to evaluate.  The conditions that different conferences, schools, and players experienced throughout the year were immense, and for many freshmen that disruption goes back to last spring.  On top of that, teams have had little, if any, ability to sit in on practices or attend games to see the players in person.  The draft is always a bit of a crap shoot, but this year seems more that way than most, and a lot of teams are going to rely on their high school scouting reports.

The Celtics are very much a team that scouts high school prospects, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them draft someone like Williams or Boston, and lean on their view of those players as high schoolers rather than their very broken freshman seasons.

I agree and could easily DA take a shot on Boston, Z Williams, G Brown, or J Christopher. All are rank as 95+ on the ESPN 100.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 03:15:12 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Assuming we stay healthy, and Parker pans out,  we may be able to take the best player available.

I would like to see us improve some more on the reserves though and I am waiting to see our veteran help and how it looks once Fournier is healthy.

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 03:35:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
For defense, I go with Marcus Garrett or Kuminga....

For Buckets I go Chris Duarte or Kessler Edwards...

There are better guys but they won't be there when we pick.

I'm still watching a lot of film on the draft prospects and I'm sure I'll change my mind 20 times before the draft. There are a lot of excellent prospects in this draft.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 05:44:10 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
TP to CFAN38 for kicking this off. You are the best, bro.

I will ask you some questions on the guys that you bolded after looking at their film.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 07:08:01 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Another rim runner 6-9 6-10 . 

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 08:31:56 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
RIP Terrence Clarke.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 09:28:05 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP CFAN - appreciate the effort you put into these threads

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 09:33:54 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
RIP Terrence Clarke.

terrible news
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 01:38:13 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
A player I will be adding to my next board

Sandro Mamukelashvili

the big man from seton hall has a really interesting combination of skill set and size. He is currently listed at 6'11 240lbs, at the 2016 Nike Academy at age 16 he was measured to be 6'9.5" in shoes with a 7'0.5" wingspan. It safe to expect him to measure 6'10 240 with a roughly 7'2' wingspan. At that size he is very skilled handling the ball and is a capable passer having averaged 3.2 assists per game (should be noted he also averaged 3.3 turn overs). He is a capable and willing 3pt shooter and averaged 4.6 attempts per game at 33% and 4.9 FTA at 71%. Watching his film vs Villinova its not to stretch to see him a Kelly Olynyk like NBA big man. Against the small he looked comfortable both facing him up and backing him down.

While the Cs 1st round pick may be to high to select Mamukelashvili he really looks like a solid project-able NBA player in the late 1st/early 2nd round.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 05:01:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I guess Marcus Garrett isn't going to be drafted according to the draft boards I'm looking at. He looks NBA-ready to me. He's a  big defense point guard. He's improved his shooting but still needs work. But this year 34% from three and 80%from the line. eFG% 50%....

He has a high motor and high IQ. 22-year-old senior and Naismith Men's Defensive Player of the Year! Looks like a Danny type player.

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2021, 05:21:10 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16

I'm still watching a lot of film on the draft prospects and I'm sure I'll change my mind 20 times before the draft. There are a lot of excellent prospects in this draft.
I like Duarte...doubt you have a long transition with him like you have these young players DA has drafted the last couple of years.

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 05:38:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I like Duarte...doubt you have a long transition with him like you have these young players DA has drafted the last couple of years.

Looks solid. I love the shooting.

If you are going more defensive I still like Marcus Garrett a lot. He's a pest on both ends of the floor. Garrett not even on any draft boards so maybe he can be picked up in the second round. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 06:01:47 PM by liam »