Author Topic: NFL 2021 Season  (Read 175803 times)

Re: NFL 2021 Season
« Reply #1305 on: January 16, 2022, 03:36:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I don't think Bill is going to retire before passing Shula. I'm fine with him as the head coach. However, it's time for him to give up the GM position. It's been near impossible for anyone his age to be a successful head coach, let alone adding GM responsibilities on top of it.

He's been his own worst enemy with his GM decisions. Still, I can't see him giving up any power while he's still around.

« Reply #1306 on: January 16, 2022, 03:47:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
How the heck Philadelphia get into playoffs??? Guess playing in same division as Washington & Giants

Some of the other teams in the hunt just choked down the stretch (ex. Vikings). Saints may have made it but their QB situation all year was just abysmal once Winston got hurt in the middle of the season and they struggled late. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1307 on: January 16, 2022, 03:49:03 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
If I knew nothing about this season except that the Pats weren't expected to make the playoffs but did, then I'd say, "Hey, that's a win." But I know a lot more than that—like, that this team was riding high for a while and was a lot of fun to watch—so to know that the season, and the fun, was over basically a month ago, and then ended in this fashion, is disappointing. This team has a TON of work to do. Sucky defense, sucky special teams (except Folk and Bailey), and the offense still needs quite a bit of improvement.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 04:21:04 PM by rocknrollforyoursoul »
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1308 on: January 16, 2022, 03:50:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You mean Mac Jones can't throw the ball, who knew?  I mean the Patriots didn't since they wouldn't let him even try all season.
Terrible take, yet nonetheless unsurprising.
Not terrible. Pathetic. Moranis is butt hurt because the Pats used the best developmental techniques to develop Jones and didn't go with the ridiculous "let him be a gun slinger" developmental strategy Moranis espoused

Jones was 14th in the league in attempts. 15th in the league in completions. 13th in yards. 8th in completion percentage. 14th in TD passes.

He was the best rookie QB by a very, very wide margin and the only one to play in a playoff game. And, he was one of the best performing Patriots in that playoff game.

Pathetic take.

« Reply #1309 on: January 16, 2022, 03:54:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
You mean Mac Jones can't throw the ball, who knew?  I mean the Patriots didn't since they wouldn't let him even try all season.
Terrible take, yet nonetheless unsurprising.
Not terrible. Pathetic. Moranis is butt hurt because the Pats used the best developmental techniques to develop Jones and didn't go with the ridiculous "let him be a gun slinger" developmental strategy Moranis espoused

Jones was 14th in the league in attempts. 15th in the league in completions. 13th in yards. 8th in completion percentage. 14th in TD passes.

He was the best rookie QB by a very, very wide margin and the only one to play in a playoff game. And, he was one of the best performing Patriots in that playoff game.

Pathetic take.
~4000 yards and a rating of 92.5 is pretty hard to achieve when you "can't throw"...

Sure, he's not Burrow or Herbert. But he was a darn good rookie QB
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1310 on: January 16, 2022, 04:36:08 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
How do people feel about that Pats now that their season has concluded?

Obviously the loss last night was brutal, but overall I think the season went well. 10-7, made the playoffs, Mac outperformed all other rookie QB’s by a wide margin.

Expectations are going to be high going into next season and the Pats really need to get Mac some legitimate help at the WR position. The addition of Jonnu Smith and Nelson Agholor, who were the most expensive offensive acquisitions (combined $23.5M/year) has been a big swing and miss. They both need to have their contracts restructured.  As a comparison, this season Steffon Diggs and Devante Adams both made $14.5M. Myers and Bourne seem like decent 2nd and 3rd options, but the Pats need a #1 this can stretch the field. Would love to have Brandin Cooks back...
It was a definite positive overall. Mac is pretty seriously competent, Harris and Stevenson will be a good RB tandem for a few years, and we've got some good young defenders like Barmore. I was pretty happy with the overall outcome.

A receiver like Chris Olave or John Metchie in the draft would be a good target for us I reckon. A true WR1. I'd also love a speedy MLB so we don't have to see Bentley get burnt time and again on passing downs.

All that being said, I bet we'll see some totally random draft picks

I don’t watch a lot of college football, but Are these guys basically a sure thing like a Waddle or Devonta Smith? I have little to no confidence in Bill’s ability to draft WR’s, so I think it would be best to trade for a player like Cooks who has been in NE and succeeded. Not saying that the Pats shouldn’t continue to draft WR’s, but they really need a WR1 that is ready to come in and contribute right away. The NFL is officiated to favor the offense.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 04:58:38 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1311 on: January 16, 2022, 05:11:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Obviously the loss last night was brutal, but overall I think the season went well. 10-7, made the playoffs, Mac outperformed all other rookie QB’s by a wide margin.

Expectations are going to be high going into next season and the Pats really need to get Mac some legitimate help at the WR position. The addition of Jonnu Smith and Nelson Agholor, who were the most expensive offensive acquisitions (combined $23.5M/year) has been a big swing and miss. They both need to have their contracts restructured.  As a comparison, this season Steffon Diggs and Devante Adams both made $14.5M. Myers and Bourne seem like decent 2nd and 3rd options, but the Pats need a #1 this can stretch the field. Would love to have Brandin Cooks back...
It was a definite positive overall. Mac is pretty seriously competent, Harris and Stevenson will be a good RB tandem for a few years, and we've got some good young defenders like Barmore. I was pretty happy with the overall outcome.

A receiver like Chris Olave or John Metchie in the draft would be a good target for us I reckon. A true WR1. I'd also love a speedy MLB so we don't have to see Bentley get burnt time and again on passing downs.

I don’t watch a lot of college football, but Are these guys basically a sure thing like a Waddle or Devonta Smith? I have little to no confidence in Bill’s ability to draft WR’s, so I think it would be best to trade for a player like Cooks who has been in NE and succeeded. Not saying that the Pats shouldn’t continue to draft WR’s, but they really need a WR1 that is ready to come in and contribute right away. The NFL is officiated to favor the offense.
Olave reminds me a lot of Devonta Smith, hence my interest. He's an absolutely fantastic route runner, like Smith, similar physical profile and creates a heap of separation. Metchie is less of a sure thing, but I liked his connection with Mac in college and he was lightning fast pre-injury. He and Jameson Williams both tore their ACL, so both the Bama WR's are a risk.

I love Cooks. Gets 1000 yard seasons in his sleep. If we could nab him I'd do it and not bother drafting a WR.

« Reply #1312 on: January 16, 2022, 05:13:05 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I'd say the only can't miss wideout is Olaves teammate at Ohio, Wilson. 90% athlete, crazy coordination. Elite at all three levels, decent size at 6'0, 200 pounds. Fantastic at adjusting to the ball in the air, catches everything. He won't be there for us though.
#JKJB

« Reply #1313 on: January 16, 2022, 05:15:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Long game to go, but Niners already up 10-0 on the Cowboys. I picked the Niners and so far am feeling good about it. Dak is elite, but the Cowboys defense IMO is a bit overrated outside of Parsons and I'm not a huge believer in McCarthy (solid coach, not "elite"). Niners in a way I feel are also a bit underrated. They were one of the better teams down the stretch too.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1314 on: January 16, 2022, 05:26:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'd say the only can't miss wideout is Olaves teammate at Ohio, Wilson. 90% athlete, crazy coordination. Elite at all three levels, decent size at 6'0, 200 pounds. Fantastic at adjusting to the ball in the air, catches everything. He won't be there for us though.
Yeah, I can't see Wilson falling to 21 so I'm not bothering getting my hopes up. I think Olave's route-running will translate to being a high-level receiver, personally. Especially with Mac 8)

« Reply #1315 on: January 16, 2022, 05:46:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

(1) Pats have their QB of the future in Mac. Given how expensive the position is, it is great to have him on a rookie deal.

(2) Priority #1 in the draft is a LT. Yes, we have Wynn for one more year (he's gone after that), but we need a starting LT on a rookie deal for the next few years (like with (1) above).

(3) Franchise tag JC Jackson. Seems like a no brainer.

(4) Look into re-structuring Nelson Agholur. He does help to stretch the field, and his contract is more re-structure friendly than Smith, which is why I break it into two parts.

(5) Look for ways to incorporate Jonnu Smith more into the offense. Got to do more with this guy in the offense. The Pats dont really save anything by cutting him, given the guarantees, so I dont see him being cut, and what incentive does he have to a restructured deal?

(6) Cap space permitting, try to sign someone like Mike Godwin. Pipe dream, I know, but would be so awesome.

(7) Assuming LT for the first pick (see (1) above), use picks in next 3 rounds for D. Need some upgrades.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #1316 on: January 16, 2022, 06:09:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

(1) Pats have their QB of the future in Mac. Given how expensive the position is, it is great to have him on a rookie deal.

(2) Priority #1 in the draft is a LT. Yes, we have Wynn for one more year (he's gone after that), but we need a starting LT on a rookie deal for the next few years (like with (1) above).

(4) Look into re-structuring Nelson Agholur. He does help to stretch the field, and his contract is more re-structure friendly than Smith, which is why I break it into two parts.

(5) Look for ways to incorporate Jonnu Smith more into the offense. Got to do more with this guy in the offense. The Pats dont really save anything by cutting him, given the guarantees, so I dont see him being cut, and what incentive does he have to a restructured deal?

(6) Cap space permitting, try to sign someone like Mike Godwin. Pipe dream, I know, but would be so awesome.

(7) Assuming LT for the first pick (see (1) above), use picks in next 3 rounds for D. Need some upgrades.
A fusion of Mike Evans and Chris Godwin? Or the author?

« Reply #1317 on: January 16, 2022, 06:14:57 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

Defensive improvement is a must. Mac and their RBs with a top notch O-line will be huge. I guess I’m one of the few who likes Meyers, Bourne, Agholor, Henry, and Smith.  James White back and healthy will be a plus as well.  A #1 WR makes their receiving crew excellent (elite) imo and I think they are decent without that level of an upgrade.

« Reply #1318 on: January 16, 2022, 06:25:57 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Yeah, I can't see Wilson falling to 21 so I'm not bothering getting my hopes up. I think Olave's route-running will translate to being a high-level receiver, personally. Especially with Mac 8)

Yeah, I think Olave will be a terrific pro.  Great route running, sub 4-4 speed.  Wilson is better, but it's not a major step down to Olave.  Only major difference in my mind is Wilson is elite at catching it, whereas Olave is merely good at it (i.e. not as able to make the ridiculous catches, but also not going to drop the balls that are on target).

« Reply #1319 on: January 16, 2022, 06:29:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yeah, I think Olave will be a terrific pro.  Great route running, sub 4-4 speed.  Wilson is better, but it's not a major step down to Olave.  Only major difference in my mind is Wilson is elite at catching it, whereas Olave is merely good at it (i.e. not as able to make the ridiculous catches, but also not going to drop the balls that are on target).
Exactly. Wilson has that ability to snatch things that 99% of receivers can't. They're both comfortable 1st round talents. Doubt the Pats get Olave now that I've fixated on him though :P