Author Topic: NFL 2021 Season  (Read 173217 times)

Re: NFL 2021 Season
« Reply #1245 on: January 14, 2022, 04:45:16 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Forecast for Saturday night in Buffalo: Temperature around zero with wind chill 15-20 degrees below zero or so.

Wonder who that favors.

Jack Daniels if you're in attendance.

I saw an article saying there are plenty of seats available on the cheap on secondary markets.  Anyone up for a road trip??

Couch seems kinda nice too.

LOL I live in the Boston area but at work me and some friends/coworkers were actually thinking if we wanted to do a road trip to Buffalo since tickets are only like $30-40  :P :laugh:

We aren't, but yeah if you're not that far from BUF and don't hate the cold I think it'd be awesome to attend for a not-so-expensive price.

I know it's all about TV ratings, but it pretty crazy cruel to schedule a night game in Buffalo in January.

Yes I think it’s really amazing. One of the more reliable weather realities would be frigid temps in Buffalo at night in mid-January.  This is a major home field advantage and could easily have been  mitigated by just making it a day game.  Obviously it doesn’t mean Pats have no chance, they won a miserable weather game there a month ago.  But a travel game on a short week in frigid temps, not the best case scenario for the Pats.

« Reply #1246 on: January 14, 2022, 04:57:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Forecast for Saturday night in Buffalo: Temperature around zero with wind chill 15-20 degrees below zero or so.

Wonder who that favors.

I saw an article saying there are plenty of seats available on the cheap on secondary markets.  Anyone up for a road trip??

LOL I live in the Boston area but at work me and some friends/coworkers were actually thinking if we wanted to do a road trip to Buffalo since tickets are only like $30-40  :P :laugh:

We aren't, but yeah if you're not that far from BUF and don't hate the cold I think it'd be awesome to attend for a not-so-expensive price.

I know it's all about TV ratings, but it pretty crazy cruel to schedule a night game in Buffalo in January.

Yes I think it’s really amazing. One of the more reliable weather realities would be frigid temps in Buffalo at night in mid-January.  This is a major home field advantage and could easily have been  mitigated by just making it a day game.  Obviously it doesn’t mean Pats have no chance, they won a miserable weather game there a month ago.  But a travel game on a short week in frigid temps, not the best case scenario for the Pats.

I actually think that was the plan to be honest. A lot of rumors actually said that the Monday Night Wild Card game would be at Buffalo between the Bills and whoever faces them. I guess it ended up being Saturday night while Cardinals-Rams is MNF, but maybe the division rivalry + cold weather factored into the decision-making. Two teams focused in the north with very cold winters with a frigid game in January. I think the NFL likes that. It's the same idea in places like Lambeau (the Frozen Tundra), etc.

But yeah it's cruel for the fans to sit through that lol.

I don't really care about the schedule part, because some teams have a short week, some have a long week. And this will be true next week too with Saturday and Sunday games. These guys are professionals, and it's really not anything to get worked up about too much that oh, one team has an extra day to prepare or something. They may win but have a short week themselves for the divisional round. You also had some teams straight up resting guys in Week 18.

Also when the Pats had TB12, I felt like they had a lot of their divisional games at night or in the evening. Very rarely 1:00 PM. Only 1:00 PM playoff game I could think of in recent years was against the Chargers back in January 2019. Before that, I think Ravens 2009 Wild Card (welp). Maybe there's another one I'm missing in-between?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1247 on: January 14, 2022, 05:06:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
My predictions for this weekend:

Bengals 34- Raiders 17
Kansas City 21- Pittsburgh 16
New England 16- Buffalo 13
49ers 34- Dallas 28
Rams 34- Arizona 24
Tampa Bay 31- Philadelphia 10

I'll participate as well lol.

CIN > LAV 31-17
NE > BUF 24-20
TB > PHI 34-24
SF > DAL 28-24 (Upset)
KC > PIT 27-13
AZ > LAR 27-24 (Upset)

My heart says New England, mind says Buffalo. But idk, I still think the Pats have 1 more good game left in them and I just have that feeling the Pats could pull it out. Yes, the Pats haven't looked good in the last month and BUF stomped them 3-4 weeks ago at Foxboro. But the Pats are built to play in tough weather conditions and I can't imagine Josh Allen plays that well again like he did a month ago.

I also think the Cowboys and Rams get upset. Niners are trending high and could give the Cowboys trouble, and while the Rams have talent I just feel something's not right with them and even some of their recent wins have been super close and they haven't looked great. I mean, when was the last "impressive" win for the Rams really, before November? The Cardinals are a bit flawed and haven't trended well either but I think they'll eek out a close one.

« Reply #1248 on: January 14, 2022, 05:30:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Wonder who that favors.

The weather doesn't make it a major home field advantage. The Pats have played in frigid and/or snowy conditions every winter. It's not like the Bills are playing Arizona, or a team from Texas or Florida. Or an indoor team like the Saints or Indy.

There are 4 major winter cold weather teams in the league: Green Bay, Chicago, Buffalo and New England. The advantages of cold weather conditions for any of these teams if they play against each other gets nullified.

« Reply #1249 on: January 14, 2022, 06:18:16 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Wonder who that favors.

The weather doesn't make it a major home field advantage. The Pats have played in frigid and/or snowy conditions every winter. It's not like the Bills are playing Arizona, or a team from Texas or Florida. Or an indoor team like the Saints or Indy.

There are 4 major winter cold weather teams in the league: Green Bay, Chicago, Buffalo and New England. The advantages of cold weather conditions for any of these teams if they play against each other gets nullified.

My thoughts as well.

I think Buffalo's biggest advantage in this game is that they're better than the Patriots and they know it.  Not saying the Pats have no chance here, but they're going to need some turnovers to go their way.
Yup

« Reply #1250 on: January 14, 2022, 06:40:04 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Wonder who that favors.

You may be right, but there’s a difference between Foxboro weather and Buffalo. From spending a fair amount of time in upstate NY watching the weather and a lifetime in New England, it’s different. I spent the last (prior to Covid) 30 Christmases in Rochester, NY looking with my in-laws at weather channels (something my in-laws enjoy). I don’t believe there was a single visit in late a December without snow and always worse in Buffalo.  Not true in Boston.

That said, I get the point - it’s not like playing in Miami and visiting Buffalo.  Nonetheless single digits with strong wind in a shortened week seems to me a tough situation for the home team and tougher for the visitor. And easily addressed at least to some extent by making Buffalo a 1pm game.

« Reply #1251 on: January 14, 2022, 07:10:58 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Wonder who that favors.

You may be right, but there’s a difference between Foxboro weather and Buffalo. From spending a fair amount of time in upstate NY watching the weather and a lifetime in New England, it’s different. I spent the last (prior to Covid) 30 Christmases in Rochester, NY looking with my in-laws at weather channels (something my in-laws enjoy). I don’t believe there was a single visit in late a December without snow and always worse in Buffalo.  Not true in Boston.

That said, I get the point - it’s not like playing in Miami and visiting Buffalo.  Nonetheless single digits with strong wind in a shortened week seems to me a tough situation for the home team and tougher for the visitor. And easily addressed at least to some extent by making Buffalo a 1pm game.

The biggest issue for the Pats is injury/Covid. The Pats will be short-handed in the secondary because of Covid, and their front 7 will likely be depleted (not clear Barmore will be back, and honestly I think Judon is still suffering Covid related issues; his stats since he was out with Covid a month ago aren't good).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #1252 on: January 14, 2022, 10:32:44 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
My predictions for this weekend:

Bengals 34- Raiders 17
Kansas City 21- Pittsburgh 16
New England 16- Buffalo 13
49ers 34- Dallas 28
Rams 34- Arizona 24
Tampa Bay 31- Philadelphia 10

My predictions for this weekend...

Las Vegas 27 - Cincinnati 20
Kansas City 51 - Pittsburgh 16
New England 8 - Buffalo 6
San Francisco 33 - Dallas 24
Arizona 31 - LA Rams 28
Tampa Bay 27 - Philadelphia 26

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1253 on: January 15, 2022, 01:30:44 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Wonder who that favors.

As a native Rochestarian, I can attest that there is Boston cold and upstate NY in January cold, and they are different things.  Tomorrow will be one of the coldest days I remember in decades of living in Boston (wind chills approaching negative 20).  Such days happen a few times a year up there, and I definitely experienced wind chills of 50 below (well, sort of experienced, because you don’t leave the house in suhcb conditions).

That said, it’s not like the Bills have a ton of January upstate NY a experience, so I do think the relative advantage of “this is different” will be negated, because it’s going to be new for both teams. You rarely see days like tomorrow in December.

« Reply #1254 on: January 15, 2022, 10:40:44 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Here we go

Bengals 41 - Raiders 27
Kansas City 33 - Pittsburgh 7
Buffalo 20 New England 10  :-[
Dallas 31 49ers 17
Rams 17 - Arizona 16
Tampa Bay 37 - Philadelphia 17
Yup

« Reply #1255 on: January 15, 2022, 03:07:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
It's already been a great season and we're 5+ hours away, yet I'm so nervous about tonight lol.

« Reply #1256 on: January 15, 2022, 05:02:25 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
It's already been a great season and we're 5+ hours away, yet I'm so nervous about tonight lol.

Nervous?! Pats are underdogs, nothing to be nervous about. If we win, great we survive for another round. If we lose, then it was expected and just need to reload the roster.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1257 on: January 15, 2022, 05:13:16 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Nervous?! Pats are underdogs, nothing to be nervous about. If we win, great we survive for another round. If we lose, then it was expected and just need to reload the roster.

Not underdogs by much. If the Pats win it will be Bills first postseason victory without Brady. Also, it would really suck to lose to the Bills. I can see why some would be nervous about the game.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 05:29:58 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1258 on: January 15, 2022, 06:07:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Not underdogs by much. If the Pats win it will be Bills first postseason victory without Brady. Also, it would really suck to lose to the Bills. I can see why some would be nervous about the game.

I get nervous easily in general lol. Even if it was a great Brady-led Pats team in the mid-2010s going up against a pretender team early in the playoffs, I'd be nervous.

« Reply #1259 on: January 15, 2022, 06:09:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
NFL refs already strike.

Burrow made an incredible play for the TD but the ref had blown a whistle right after it looked like he stepped out of bounds (which he didn't actually) so the play should have been ruled dead and the NBC referee analyst said the same too. Instead the Raiders defense sort of stopped in the endzone and the Bengals got the TD catch.

Even if they called it back though, then the Bengals would have been hosed because Burrow never stepped out before delivering the throw.

Just pure incompetence from the referees and sickening that games like this could be decided by them