Author Topic: NFL 2021 Season  (Read 175549 times)

Re: NFL 2021 Season
« Reply #1215 on: January 10, 2022, 10:54:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I could have sworn I heard the commentators mention yesterday that it was the first time in 20 years, the Dolphins had back-to-back winning seasons. So why are the firing the head coach?

It's insane.  There's clearly progress being made there.  Yes, they had some bad losses, but they also had some good wins.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1216 on: January 10, 2022, 11:23:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Had the Dolphins season been reversed, I would think a firing of Flores would have made a lot more sense.  Like if they started 8-1 and then finished 1-7 then you say yeah we don't like how the season finished, but starting 1-7 and then finishing 8-1, seems like the team made great progress and finished very well such that firing him at that point seems really really bad.  If you were going to fire him this year, when they were 1-7 would have been the time to do it.

The last time the Dolphins finished above .500 in consecutive seasons was the run from 1997 to 2003, so nearly 20 years.  Before Flores they had only had 3 seasons in that time above .500 and did also have 2 8-8 seasons. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1217 on: January 10, 2022, 11:43:51 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Black Monday is off & running. 

Bears fire Pace.

Vikings fire Zimmer.

And the shocking one (at least to me), Dolphins fire Flores.

Yeah, Flores is shocking to me too.  That one feels like the Dolphins already have a guy in mind they don’t want to miss out on.  (And my gut says that guy is Jim Harbaugh).

Yeah, you would think MIA has something in the works if they fired Flores.

Flores is going to get snapped up by someone real fast.

Dolphins owner said he’s not pursuing Harbaugh, so I guess I’m wrong on that one.  (The logic behind my guess is that Ross is one of, if not the top, donors to Michigan, and so may have had knowledge that Harbaugh was going to take the best NFL job he could find.  Don’t know if that means he knows Harbaugh is staying at Michigan, or something else.)

« Reply #1218 on: January 10, 2022, 12:45:51 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Bears fire Pace.

Vikings fire Zimmer.

Yeah, Flores is shocking to me too.  That one feels like the Dolphins already have a guy in mind they don’t want to miss out on.  (And my gut says that guy is Jim Harbaugh).

Dolphins owner said he’s not pursuing Harbaugh, so I guess I’m wrong on that one.  (The logic behind my guess is that Ross is one of, if not the top, donors to Michigan, and so may have had knowledge that Harbaugh was going to take the best NFL job he could find.  Don’t know if that means he knows Harbaugh is staying at Michigan, or something else.)

Maybe he's not pursing Harbaugh, because Harbaugh possibly already declined the job.

« Reply #1219 on: January 10, 2022, 03:38:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Bears fire Pace.

Vikings fire Zimmer.

Maybe he's not pursing Harbaugh, because Harbaugh possibly already declined the job.
Then why did he fire Flores.  The supposition was that he had someone lined up for the job and that person was Harbaugh.  Now maybe he has someone else in mind, but I think it is far more likely the owner is just a moron.

« Reply #1220 on: January 10, 2022, 04:09:06 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I like to call them the LOLphins, doing LOLphins things.

Gives us one less trouble with Brian Flores out. NE still in the running for the division in the future.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1221 on: January 10, 2022, 04:16:57 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Bears fire Pace.

Vikings fire Zimmer.

Then why did he fire Flores.  The supposition was that he had someone lined up for the job and that person was Harbaugh.  Now maybe he has someone else in mind, but I think it is far more likely the owner is just a moron.

Sounds like it may have been a personality clash between Flores and their Yes Man GM.   Dolphins hierarchy sounds like a mess. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1222 on: January 10, 2022, 05:03:53 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Brian Flores was 4-2 against the Patriots, during his 3 seasons in Miami. How many coaches can make that claim against Bill Belichick?

« Reply #1223 on: January 10, 2022, 08:10:17 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Bears fire Pace.

Vikings fire Zimmer.

Sounds like it may have been a personality clash between Flores and their Yes Man GM.   Dolphins hierarchy sounds like a mess.
Are they still required to interview minorities for head coach jobs? Could be why that is the public comment on Harbaugh.

« Reply #1224 on: January 10, 2022, 09:23:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Something I'm now realizing.

If the Raiders tied yesterday with the Chargers, then the Raiders would play the Chiefs. By winning, they make the playoffs and play the Bengals. Huge difference IMO. Maybe they really were going for the win regardless.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1225 on: January 10, 2022, 09:37:32 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

If the Raiders tied yesterday with the Chargers, then the Raiders would play the Chiefs. By winning, they make the playoffs and play the Bengals. Huge difference IMO. Maybe they really were going for the win regardless.

But their coach said they had different philosophies, implying that they were likely gonna go for the tie had SD didn't call the timeout. Either way, they would've attempted a long field goal and knowing that kicker he's been perfect in Allegiant Stadium so who knows.

« Reply #1226 on: January 10, 2022, 09:48:33 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Man I really hope Brian Flores wins some COTY award and make the LOLphins front office and franchise look pathetic.

« Reply #1227 on: January 10, 2022, 11:52:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!

But their coach said they had different philosophies, implying that they were likely gonna go for the tie had SD didn't call the timeout. Either way, they would've attempted a long field goal and knowing that kicker he's been perfect in Allegiant Stadium so who knows.

Yeah I saw that too. That’s probably true as well.

Another thing to consider is, what if they attempted the FG but it was blocked and returned for a TD by the Chargers? Then Chargers win and Raiders are eliminated. Maybe LAV wanted the tie as well to make sure nothing dumb could happen and they’d be playoff bound

Overall it was a CRAZY night and a fitting end to a WILD regular season
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1228 on: January 11, 2022, 01:11:45 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Yeah I saw that too. That’s probably true as well.

Another thing to consider is, what if they attempted the FG but it was blocked and returned for a TD by the Chargers? Then Chargers win and Raiders are eliminated. Maybe LAV wanted the tie as well to make sure nothing dumb could happen and they’d be playoff bound

Overall it was a CRAZY night and a fitting end to a WILD regular season

Definitely a SNF-worthy game down to the wire that the NFL had. Al Michaels and Michele Fafoya's last games in the booth and sideline for the regular season on SNF I hear. I think they might still appear in the Superbowl LVI and maybe some playoff games on NBC but that's about it

« Reply #1229 on: January 11, 2022, 08:02:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The Raiders were not in victory formation.  They were going to run a play running the ball to try and get closer and see what happened.  I'm sure if they didn't get the 1st down, even after the timeout, they weren't going to risk a really long FG, but once they got the 10 yards it made it a pretty manageable kick, so they kicked.  Maybe if a timeout isn't called, Jacobs runs into the end zone and then Staley is questioned about why he didn't call timeout to get the correct people on the field.