Author Topic: Coronavirus and Pro/NCAA Sports; Marcus Smart tests positive  (Read 203155 times)

Re: Last Games with Fans in Attendance?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2020, 10:11:59 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I find this to be ridiculous.  A 5 to 60 year old without serious respiratory or immune deficiencies is at almost no risk from the diseases.  Trying to quasi-quarantine tens of millions of people is ridiculous.

Are we going to shut down all the subways?  Restaurants?  Movie theaters?  Maybe we can become a society of hermits, for a disease that for 90% of the population is as serious as the common cold.

The risk that's being downplayed here is what China saw initially and Italy's seeing now - hospitals getting overwhelmed because the spread is too rapid to keep up with, especially with our lack of testing. The death rate from corona of course goes up, but it also quickly starts to ripple out and detrimentally affect people who don't have coronavirus but need medical treatment for something else. And we have fewer beds per capita than either Italy or China.

Slowing down the infection rate is absolutely vital to getting a handle on the outbreak and minimizing the damage. There's a reason the entire epidemiological community is banging pots and pans together about social distancing and it's not because they haven't considered what you're saying. Deaths are horrible but those cases are closed, it's the living needing hospitalization that will be the real ongoing problem.

Well, I have Celtics/Bulls tickets for this Sunday.  Missed the C's the first time they were out here this season. 

Guessing its about 50/50 now that I'll see them.  Nothing would surprise me.

I've got Grizzlies tix in 2 weeks, haven't seen the Cs play in almost a decade. While Memphis is pretty far from the bigger outbreaks I'm not holding my breath.

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2020, 10:25:39 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I find this to be ridiculous.  A 5 to 60 year old without serious respiratory or immune deficiencies is at almost no risk from the diseases.  Trying to quasi-quarantine tens of millions of people is ridiculous.

Are we going to shut down all the subways?  Restaurants?  Movie theaters?  Maybe we can become a society of hermits, for a disease that for 90% of the population is as serious as the common cold.

It's not necessarily the risk to the carrier, but how easily the carrier can spread it that seems to but the real bugger.

Oh, I get it.  The more carriers, the more chance that vulnerable people will catch it and have truly adverse consequences.

But, in a city like Boston or NYC, simply walking around the city and living life seems just as likely to spread the disease as going to an NBA crowd does.
walking around in crowded areas is probably going to be banned soon

That just sounded funny to me. How does an area become crowded if people haven't already walked there?

I think we really need to think about this. Because it's possible this becomes a year or two long thing. If we are canceling stuff now, what will we do when we hit peak virus next fall/winter, for example? I know they are trying to prevent that from happening. But I'm just seeing half-measures right now. Nothing that's going to stop the virus. I think it's too early for drastic measures. Save those for when they actually will have more of a positive impact than negative.

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2020, 10:28:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Where the heck are you getting "as serious as the common cold"? Its mindset like these that are making this harder to control.

90% was a slight overstatement.  It should have been 86%:

The new coronavirus causes little more than a cough if it stays in the nose and throat, which it does for the majority of people unlucky enough to be infected. Danger starts when it reaches the lungs.

One in seven patients develops difficulty breathing and other severe complications, while 6% become critical. These patients typically suffer failure of the respiratory and other vital systems, and sometimes develop septic shock, according to a report by last month’s joint World Health Organization-China mission.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-08/coronavirus-nears-fatal-tipping-point-when-lungs-are-inflamed

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2020, 10:34:07 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Watching a game on TV, with no fans in attendance at the game, will be a whole different experience for both the players and fans. As a fan, I find this to be very exciting. It’ll be like watching the behind the scenes extras of a movie. I just wish the games were televised on HBO. Can you imagine the amount of swearing between the players, coaches, and referees that could actually be heard now without the crowd in attendance. For some games now, we’ll hear the audio from one player that is mic’d up. With no crowd, we’ll hear all the audio from the players, coaches, and referees (and sneakers too). On a side note, will any music be pumped into the arena, or be heard during the telecast? It could also be a good learning experience for younger players watching, as they can learn how communication is so important in playing basketball.

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2020, 10:39:58 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Well that would take care of the Sixers road issues.

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2020, 10:48:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

You may find this all ridiculous but the medical professionals and people on point in the administration certainly don't.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, issued a disturbing warning during a White House briefing Tuesday: Americans everywhere need to change the way they live their lives. Right now.

"We would like the country to realize that as a nation, we can't be doing the kinds of things we were doing a few months ago. It doesn't matter if you're in a state that has no cases or one case," Fauci said, referring Americans to the new federal Coronavirus.gov website for details on precautions to take at home, at work and out in the world.

"If and when the infections will come -- and they will come, sorry to say, sad to say -- when you're dealing with an infectious disease... we want to be where the infection is going to be, as well as where it is," Fauci said.

"Everybody should say, 'All hands on deck,'" he added.

He's not alone in saying that this is the moment to contain coronavirus. We are at an inflection point, according to Thomas Bossert, a former homeland security adviser to President Donald Trump, writing in The Washington Post.

It's worth reading his entire piece, but the key point is this:
"Officials must pull the trigger on aggressive interventions. Time matters. Two weeks of delay can mean the difference between success and failure. Public health experts learned this in 1918 when the Spanish flu killed 50 million to 100 million people around the globe. If we fail to take action, we will watch our health-care system be overwhelmed."

He compared the lax early actions in Italy, which is now under national lockdown, with the more strict and invasive early actions in Singapore and Hong Kong. (Read this for a taste of what the first day of containment was like in Italy.)

Bossert also said Americans have to prepare to be out of their daily rhythms for weeks:
"How long? Epidemiologists suggest eight weeks might be needed to arrest this outbreak. Administrators, students, teachers and parents need to get busy figuring out how to continue the education of our children while contributing to this community-wide public health effort."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/politics/what-matters-coronavirus-is-about-to-change-your-life/index.html

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2020, 10:52:38 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Where the heck are you getting "as serious as the common cold"? Its mindset like these that are making this harder to control.

90% was a slight overstatement.  It should have been 86%:

The new coronavirus causes little more than a cough if it stays in the nose and throat, which it does for the majority of people unlucky enough to be infected. Danger starts when it reaches the lungs.

One in seven patients develops difficulty breathing and other severe complications, while 6% become critical. These patients typically suffer failure of the respiratory and other vital systems, and sometimes develop septic shock, according to a report by last month’s joint World Health Organization-China mission.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-08/coronavirus-nears-fatal-tipping-point-when-lungs-are-inflamed

Do you get how bad things would be if mass numbers of people became infected in a relatively short period of time and one in seven needed hospitalization and intensive care, on top of the existing burden on hospitals?

If 7 million people - about 2% of the populace - are infected you need to be able to handle a million extra patients. If it's 40% - the low end of most long-term estimates - it's roughly 20 million patients. Hospitalizations can run from 2-6 weeks each and are cost- and resource-expensive.

The more rapid the spread is the bigger the strain, and more people with and without corona suffer and die when care is stretched thin and resource shortages run rampant. And of course people hospitalized for other issues start catching it while they're there, compounding their ongoing problems and requiring more resources to protect uninfected patients.

Re: Coronavirus and the NBA(merged threads)
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2020, 11:41:45 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
They are really taking extreme measures to do something about the offensive fans that bothered Marcus Smart so much.

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2020, 11:45:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
NBA mulling moving games in cities that have outbreaks to cities that don't. I guess that would mean no home games in Boston.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28881794/nba-mulls-moving-games-different-cities-due-coronavirus

As the NBA's board of governors prepares to confer with the commissioner's office Wednesday in a critical conference call on the coronavirus crisis, one scenario introduced into the league's conversation involves moving some games to NBA cities that have yet to suffer outbreaks, league sources told ESPN.

If the virus clusters and forces a team out of its city and arena for a period of time, there has been discussion about moving games to the away opponent's arena if that city hasn't suffered an outbreak -- or even moving games to neutral cities and sites, league sources told ESPN.

The NBA is discussing a number of possibilities -- including eliminating fans from buildings for games or, more drastically, suspending game operations for a period of time -- but sources said decisions on those options remain complicated by the fact that there has been a limited amount of public testing for the coronavirus in the United States. There is no full understanding of how widespread and debilitating the virus could become in the country.

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2020, 12:03:26 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
NBA mulling moving games in cities that have outbreaks to cities that don't. I guess that would mean no home games in Boston.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28881794/nba-mulls-moving-games-different-cities-due-coronavirus

As the NBA's board of governors prepares to confer with the commissioner's office Wednesday in a critical conference call on the coronavirus crisis, one scenario introduced into the league's conversation involves moving some games to NBA cities that have yet to suffer outbreaks, league sources told ESPN.

If the virus clusters and forces a team out of its city and arena for a period of time, there has been discussion about moving games to the away opponent's arena if that city hasn't suffered an outbreak -- or even moving games to neutral cities and sites, league sources told ESPN.

The NBA is discussing a number of possibilities -- including eliminating fans from buildings for games or, more drastically, suspending game operations for a period of time -- but sources said decisions on those options remain complicated by the fact that there has been a limited amount of public testing for the coronavirus in the United States. There is no full understanding of how widespread and debilitating the virus could become in the country.

So what happens when an infected fan (who doesn't it know it yet) decides that since he can't watch the Celtics in Boston, so he's going to go to Neutral City A to see his Celtics instead?

It just seems like a bad idea.  Just play in empty arenas or cancel the games if its really that much of a concern.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2020, 12:07:22 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

So what happens when an infected fan (who doesn't it know it yet) decides that since he can't watch the Celtics in Boston, so he's going to go to Neutral City A to see his Celtics instead?

It just seems like a bad idea.  Just play in empty arenas or cancel the games if its really that much of a concern.

That seems like a horrible idea. Imagine that they decide to have games on the Cape. If I still lived there, I wouldn't hoards of people coming to the Cape and potentially getting somebody there sick.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2020, 12:09:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
There is community spread on both coasts and through out the entire Midwest. Given the limited state of testing up to this point to say any major metro area is outbreak free is foolish. We have multiple cases in Omaha for goodness sake.

Given that the current data puts it on the order of 10x as lethal as the flu, between 10% - 20% hospitalization rate  and more contagious than the flu I think the level of concern and mitigation is warranted.

I know those bad outcomes are clustered on the older and compromised/vulnerable population but this is really bad and very real.

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2020, 12:36:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
When asked if he thinks NBA games should go on during the outbreak, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said he would not suggest it.

“We would recommend there not be large crowds, if that means not having any people in the audience when the NBA plays, so be it,” Fauci said while speaking in front on the House Oversight Committee about the novel coronavirus response.

“As a public health official, anything that has large crowds is something that would give a risk to spread,” Fauci added.

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2020, 01:02:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith