Author Topic: The end of an era: Team USA crumbles against France  (Read 18337 times)

Re: The end of an era: Team USA crumbles against France
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 03:13:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The end of an era, we did not even come close to having our best on the floor.  When they show up for the Olympics and others lose by thirty then come talk to us when this does not happen.

Death by small ball......No size or trust in our size killed us.

I told my son before the game that they had elite size to hurt us and guard Kemba

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Continuity matters a lot when you don't have an overwhelming talent advantage.

The US didn't have an overwhelming talent advantage or any kind of continuity with their squad.

Makes sense that they lost.  Hopefully it provides motivation for the next Team USA outing.
Obviously not our best core of NBA American players, but a bit embarrassing - especially if you are a Cs fan. Glad Tatum wasn't playing, but that part will unfortunately be forgotten.

This is about as low as the Pierce loss, but at least there have been other losses so it's not quite the surprise. Not even being able to get to the semi-finals has to be considered a colossal disappointment. I was happy that we had 4 Cs on the team, but was worried what might happen if they didn't win...guess we'll find out.

This isn't as low as the 2002 loss. That team finished 6th and looked much worse doing it. This team could still go 6-1 and win bronze. In 2002 they didn't even play in the 3rd place game.

I think we're past the point where the US team needs to be perfect to avoid embarrassment (disappointment, sure).
They have been eliminated from medal contention.

They at best can place 5th.

wow. FIBA tournament is worthless. You can go 6-1 and come in 5th?

You can go 16-12 and be the nba champs.

The tournament is also a qualifing for the olympics, so 1-6 makes some sence
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2019, 03:18:37 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I thought Poirier was on the French team.  Is he but just didn't play?

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2019, 03:40:01 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yup, first time in the tournament he didn't play. Probably just a matchup issue of France wanting to go smaller if Gobert wasn't in the game.

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 03:51:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yup, first time in the tournament he didn't play. Probably just a matchup issue of France wanting to go smaller if Gobert wasn't in the game.

Lol - that is just the cherry on top if you are a Cs fan. The big underdogs take down the USA and our very own Cs player [on their team] doesn't even play.

This is pretty pitiful. It doesn't bode well for the regular season that our team can't even take down a Jazz team clone - only with their best player (Mitchell) actually playing for us.

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 03:53:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Well I hope you're just as down on the Bucks then. Yikes!

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 04:13:20 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
If FIBA tournaments had anything to do with an NBA season then Melo would have multiple rings league mvps.. But he hasn't.

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 04:42:33 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Question for those watching the games. How far do you think this Team USA would go against other NBA teams? Let's imagine that the team is set to play 82 games (so they'd build consistency and more chemistry) and under the same coach. Is this a team that would be good enough to go to the Finals? Take down a Golden State?
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2019, 04:56:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Question for those watching the games. How far do you think this Team USA would go against other NBA teams? Let's imagine that the team is set to play 82 games (so they'd build consistency and more chemistry) and under the same coach. Is this a team that would be good enough to go to the Finals? Take down a Golden State?
NBA champion. You are basically replacing every player on the Celtics other than Kemba, Tatum, Smart and Brown with players of, at minimum, starter quality and at maximum a star. If people believe the Celtics, as currently built win 50+ games, then this team has to be a 70 win team.

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 05:19:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

No way. Too much duplication. Too much individualism.

A 2nd round and out type of team.

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
https://www.espn.com/olympics/basketball/story/_/id/27592643/france-eliminates-team-usa-world-cup

Highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoZa1EOkWkY&t=611s

Headlined by a Celtics' core of Tatum, Smart, Walker, and Brown, team USA suffered it's second loss in over ten years last night against France.

Rudy Gobert was enabled by the French coaches to dominate the game recording 21 points, and 16 boards, to go along with countless picks, rub offs, blocks and altered shots.  It was really a master-class in big man play for anyone that still likes that sort of thing.  It also demonstrates why the Jazz have had such a high level of consistency in their play since he entered the league despite a revolving door of guards and forwards.

Good!

Meaningless games.....chance of (More) injuries.

Glad our boys are coming home.

They still have at least one more (Serbia) and possibly two more games to play.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 05:56:28 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Massive failure

I could see Spain or Australia or Serbia but France?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 06:00:14 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
It stinks that they didn't win with a roster of NBA players. It also stinks that this team had 4 celtics on it and couldn't win.  NO tatum again hurt.  Kemba had a bad game as well and I didn't see if Brown did anything. 

The olympics will be different because the Stars will play in that game.  I was hoping they'd win and maybe we'd see 1 Celtic on the Olympic roster.  I doubt that happens now.

Well, let's be fair - France is a pretty loaded roster as well.   The are able to put out a 5-man lineup of

PG Nando De Colo (4-time All-Euroleague, Euroleague MVP)
Wing Fournier (NBA vet)
Wing Nkitilina (NBA vet)
Wing Batum (NBA vet)
C Rudy Gobert (NBA DPOY)

That's a 5-man lineup that would beast in the NBA.   Very complementary players there.  De Colo is 6' 5" and the real deal.  Very talented ball-handler and shooter.   Gobert is at least as good as anybody on Team USA's roster.   The other guys are all legit NBA vets.   And these guys all play well together.

The point is, Team USA just lost to a team that is really, really talented.

And a lot of it just came down to cold shooting.   Folks might focus on Kemba shooting only 2 of 6 with 0 assists in the 4th period, but the real killer was Mitchell (0/3), Middleton (1/3) and Jaylen (0/1) combining to go only 1 of 7 in that 4th period.   Not to mention the many times when Team USA players simply shied off of taking shots.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 06:44:01 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
It stinks that they didn't win with a roster of NBA players. It also stinks that this team had 4 celtics on it and couldn't win.  NO tatum again hurt.  Kemba had a bad game as well and I didn't see if Brown did anything. 

The olympics will be different because the Stars will play in that game.  I was hoping they'd win and maybe we'd see 1 Celtic on the Olympic roster.  I doubt that happens now.

Well, let's be fair - France is a pretty loaded roster as well.   The are able to put out a 5-man lineup of

Wing Fournier (NBA vet)
Wing Nkitilina (NBA vet)
Wing Batum (NBA vet)
C Rudy Gobert (NBA DPOY)

That's a 5-man lineup that would beast in the NBA.   Very complementary players there.  De Colo is 6' 5" and the real deal.  Very talented ball-handler and shooter.   Gobert is at least as good as anybody on Team USA's roster.   The other guys are all legit NBA vets.   And these guys all play well together.

And a lot of it just came down to cold shooting.   Folks might focus on Kemba shooting only 2 of 6 with 0 assists in the 4th period, but the real killer was Mitchell (0/3), Middleton (1/3) and Jaylen (0/1) combining to go only 1 of 7 in that 4th period.   Not to mention the many times when Team USA players simply shied off of taking shots.
Fournier, Ntilikina, Batum?  Beast in the NBA?  Did I go to sleep and wake up in an alternate universe?   

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 07:03:03 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Wing Fournier (NBA vet)
Wing Nkitilina (NBA vet)
Wing Batum (NBA vet)
C Rudy Gobert (NBA DPOY)

Fournier, Ntilikina, Batum?  Beast in the NBA?  Did I go to sleep and wake up in an alternate universe?

Did you miss the other two names?   De Colo is a fantastic player who arguably would be at least close to fringe all-star level player in the NBA and Gobert is the freaking reigning DPOY.

I never said "Fournier, Ntillikina & Batum" were beasts in the NBA.  I said that FIVE MAN LINEUP would be.   And I'm not saying it would beat last year's Raptor's starting 5 or the prior year's GSW death lineup.   

I'm just pointing out that would be a hell of a strong 5-man lineup that would compete very favorably in the NBA.   It's got guards and wings that can shoot plus an elite big who can score on the roll and dominate on defense.   That's a very potent recipe.