Author Topic: A dunk is still worth two points, ARE THEY WORTH IT?-sometimes!  (Read 1934 times)

A dunk is still worth two points, ARE THEY WORTH IT?-sometimes!
« on: January 28, 2020, 02:40:25 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Dunks are getting downright nasty and break away dunks can get criminal as players get fouled in mid air. The courtside photographers endanger  and add a minefield to players at full speed sent sprawling..
Jaylen's mom said don't dunk after his fall. We almost lost Theis to a clip shove by Zion.
I HAVE A QUESTION-what has happened to floor burns  I used to be always getting them. Do todays players even concern themselves.
The amount of players gifted with speed and vertical but the problem is you got to come down. And on somebodies foot is nasty or coming down from dunks on one leg.
Now Javonte has a sore knee.
Injury prone is a natural state for players giving 110% at both ends of court
Kemba gives me heart attacks , I once posted that we had to enjoy Isaiah gifts while we could as he was fearless and all the falls would take its toll.
I might as well watch that daytime soap-GENERAL HOSPITAL.
If teams keep paying these players so much and players keep dropping like flies, Dwight Powell for instance another high flyer  ,Kanter diving for lose balls. Williams a hip edema . Marcus a torn oblique ,dislocated knee .Isaiah had that back bruise ,Gordon a dislocated fractured ankle then Baynes fell on his hand,

I'll start with something easy get those camera man moved back better yet get rid of them sitting on floor, End chasing into crowd over loose balls. Hip check fouls should be flagrant.
SHORTEN THE SEASON AND PLAYOFFS

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 02:50:57 AM by rollie mass »

Re: A dunk is still worth two points, ARE THEY WORTH IT?-sometimes!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 08:00:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They can boost morale and intimidate opponents and really get the crowd into the game, so yes, they are worth it.  Plus, you played don't you recall how fun it was to flush a dunk?

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 10:06:41 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
A dunk rocks the arena and lits a fire for the team. But still should only be worth 2 points.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 12:14:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It is still better to shoot a shot that you have a 90+ percent chance to hit. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 12:21:31 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
A dunk is much harder to block than a layup thats for sure.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 03:09:50 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Fouls where the defender is in front of the dunker are more or less part of the game.  But if a player has already jumped and is fouled from behind or the side, especially below the waist, I'd like to see some flagrants called.

I thought the foul where Jaylen landed hard last year was ridiculous - no attempt on the ball, defender just hammering a guy from behind while he's airborne and defenseless.  Zion walking into Theis' legs the other night was pretty bad too.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 03:22:02 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
This is part of why I love basketball - analytics are great, help explain the game and can tell us a lot. But there is no stat that describes how a team gets fired up after a dunk, or what it's like when a guy catches fire. Like sure, Steph may be a ~40% 3PT shooter. But if he's hot, he's 90%. You know? Or what about a guy getting dunked on and then stepping up the defense after, or possibly crumbling after. There's some magic to the game like that and it makes it more exciting and unpredictable.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 04:01:34 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
This is part of why I love basketball - analytics are great, help explain the game and can tell us a lot. But there is no stat that describes how a team gets fired up after a dunk, or what it's like when a guy catches fire. Like sure, Steph may be a ~40% 3PT shooter. But if he's hot, he's 90%. You know? Or what about a guy getting dunked on and then stepping up the defense after, or possibly crumbling after. There's some magic to the game like that and it makes it more exciting and unpredictable.

Mr. Unpredictable thanks you for this post.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 05:09:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Fouls where the defender is in front of the dunker are more or less part of the game.  But if a player has already jumped and is fouled from behind or the side, especially below the waist, I'd like to see some flagrants called.

I thought the foul where Jaylen landed hard last year was ridiculous - no attempt on the ball, defender just hammering a guy from behind while he's airborne and defenseless.  Zion walking into Theis' legs the other night was pretty bad too.
Zion did it on Brown's first shot attempt, a dunk, in the first quarter too. It's what caused Jaylen to miss it and land awkwardly. Zion ended up getting called for that one.

Both were dirty fouls and as you said, if someone is going up for a dunk and you undercut them or foul in such a manner as to cause the player to lose balance and land poorly, maybe it's time to make that a flagrant 1 or maybe a flagrant D(for dangerous) foul. A flagrant D foul can be  treated as a flagrant 1 foul but you are suspended games once hitting 3 or more flagrant D's.