Author Topic: 2023-2024 NCAAF Official Thread  (Read 61493 times)

Re: 2023-2024 NCAAF Official Thread
« Reply #600 on: January 02, 2024, 11:02:05 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Penix is going to be a very interesting prospect. I could see him going as high as #10 in the draft... or as low as the early 2nd round (in the 30s). Not sure where he will go. The belief now is Daniels will definitely be a Top-10 pick but no one has any clue about Penix.

I'm pretty certain though that McCarthy is going in the 2nd round.

Penix should go higher than 10, especially if he has a similar performance in the championship game.

« Reply #601 on: January 02, 2024, 12:21:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1559
ESPN has Penix with a grade of 88 which is the 30th best grade and 5th QB.  I'm sure that doesn't account for yesterday, but I'm also sure that wouldn't move the needle much. I think that is probably about correct. I saw him a fair amount at Indiana and I wasn't overly impressed. He is much healthier now and has obviosuly improved since then, but I would worry about reaching for Penix. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #602 on: January 02, 2024, 12:44:09 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
I've followed Penix most of this season, and have always been super impressed.  I think he is going to shine as the best NFL QB from this 2024 draft. Hope the Pats draft him, maybe trading back to around 7, as I doubt he lasts beyond that.  Pick up an extra 2nd round pick in the process, this draft is deep in wide receivers.

The first knock on him are the knee surgeries, but man he can still gallop when needed. He has such a good arm, and is very decisive.

The other knock on him being 24? To me, that is an asset, not a liability.  He is more mature, more ready to step in. You will have him under control for 5 years in a rookie contract during which he can contribute immediately.   This is the most confident I have felt making prediction on QB since I saw Joe Montana wipe out the Longhorns in the Super Bowl. Dude just has got "it".

His injury history and age are two major red flags. He seems more like a day two QB in the draft.

« Reply #603 on: January 02, 2024, 01:42:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
Penix is going to be a very interesting prospect. I could see him going as high as #10 in the draft... or as low as the early 2nd round (in the 30s). Not sure where he will go. The belief now is Daniels will definitely be a Top-10 pick but no one has any clue about Penix.

Penix should go higher than 10, especially if he has a similar performance in the championship game.

I don’t really think there is any chance he goes in top 10.

« Reply #604 on: January 02, 2024, 02:13:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be
FWIW.  (He was at the Sugar Bowl last night)

RedditCFB
@RedditCFB
·
13h
Sports bettors are now 15-2 since 2017 when betting the moneyline against teams Ted Cruz shows up to support in person.

They would have profited $2,344 if they placed a $100 bet on each game.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #605 on: January 02, 2024, 02:20:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It's hard to say right now.  Boards change wildly between January and April.

But, what's not to like about Penix?  He's 6'3" with top-tier arm strength and accuracy.  He's won 21 games in a row.  He's got good pocket mobility.  I can't tell you about how he goes through his progressions, or how much he should be penalized for playing in a great offensive system, but he strikes me as a guy who would go top-20 in most drafts.  A QB-needy team reaching a bit in the top-10 or so wouldn't seem crazy to me.

I just look at some of the guys teams have reached on lately (Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, etc.), and I wonder if some GM out there is going to want the QB with the best back-to-back college seasons since Mahomes.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #606 on: January 02, 2024, 02:28:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1626
  • What a Pub Should Be

But, what's not to like about Penix?  He's 6'3" with top-tier arm strength and accuracy.  He's won 21 games in a row.  He's got good pocket mobility.  I can't tell you about how he goes through his progressions, or how much he should be penalized for playing in a great offensive system, but he strikes me as a guy who would go top-20 in most drafts.  A QB-needy team reaching a bit in the top-10 or so wouldn't seem crazy to me.

I just look at some of the guys teams have reached on lately (Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, etc.), and I wonder if some GM out there is going to want the QB with the best back-to-back college seasons since Mahomes.

My two cents on Penix.

I think the things you are saying here are true.  However, these NFL scouts often seem to overthink themselves and get mesmerarized with "potential" & "ceiling".

I think the concern is that Penix is already at his ceiling or close to it given his age and experience.  Not to mention his injury history.  I think that will either scare off some teams or knock him down draft charts. 

I'm also guessing that there is concern that he is a great college QB benefiting from a very strong offensive line and and excellent receiving corps and that he might not get to be the beneficiary of ideal conditions and the next level and will struggle. 

Again, just guesses on my end.  That Washington team has been a joy to watch all season on the offensive side of the ball.  Fun team.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #607 on: January 02, 2024, 03:00:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

My two cents on Penix.

I think the things you are saying here are true.  However, these NFL scouts often seem to overthink themselves and get mesmerarized with "potential" & "ceiling".

I think the concern is that Penix is already at his ceiling or close to it given his age and experience.  Not to mention his injury history.  I think that will either scare off some teams or knock him down draft charts. 

I'm also guessing that there is concern that he is a great college QB benefiting from a very strong offensive line and and excellent receiving corps and that he might not get to be the beneficiary of ideal conditions and the next level and will struggle. 

Again, just guesses on my end.  That Washington team has been a joy to watch all season on the offensive side of the ball.  Fun team.

Ideally I'd love to see the guy land with the Dolphins as a backup until they eventually get Tua killed.  Left-handed, big arm, is fairly plug-and-play as far as rookie QBs go.  It's far from Miami's biggest need, but I think it would be a good landing spot for him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #608 on: January 02, 2024, 07:53:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

My two cents on Penix.

Ideally I'd love to see the guy land with the Dolphins as a backup until they eventually get Tua killed.  Left-handed, big arm, is fairly plug-and-play as far as rookie QBs go.  It's far from Miami's biggest need, but I think it would be a good landing spot for him.
I wouldn't mind him backing up Lamar if he is still there at end of 1st round (though Ravens would probably be better off trading the pick to someone that wants him).

« Reply #609 on: January 08, 2024, 08:22:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Washington can't stop the run. If that doesn't change soon, the route will be on.

« Reply #610 on: January 08, 2024, 08:24:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Forgot to post my prediction earlier so yeah it'll look like I'm cheating. I had Michigan > Washington 34-27

I love Penix & Washington but Washington's defense is way worse than Michigan's and Michigan will do just enough to stop them. Texas' defense wasn't that strong compared to Michigan

And so far, Michigan up 14-3 in the 1st already
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #611 on: January 08, 2024, 08:27:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I actually thought Michigan would win by at least 2 scores. Best team all year and significantly better than UW

« Reply #612 on: January 08, 2024, 08:28:44 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I thought Michigan would win, but I didn't think they'd dominate like this early.

« Reply #613 on: January 08, 2024, 08:41:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Hey, they kept them out of the end zone.  Progress.

« Reply #614 on: January 08, 2024, 08:43:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Wow that was an awful miss from Penix. Blown coverage, wide open
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller